• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

H.O.T

Guest r_to_the_izzo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Ahhh bacon!...That officially is my substitute for swearing now.  To funny...   You twentie somethin's are darn right amusing.  Let's see, 98 soldiers died in Iraq last month, the state just elected a new govenor, Dems took control of the House and nuetralized the Senate, Secretary of defense got canned last week, Globe warming is causing the migration of bugs to the north, finals are in three weeks, my class project is due Thursday, and the Herd of Thunder is guilty of geeky cheers.  I cannot believe that F-n band!  How dare they show incorrect school spirit!  For God sakes man, the BasketBulls are 1-0!  Praise the Lord!  I guess it's all relative.  8-)  Nothing left but the crying as I always say.  (please note the extreme sarcasm)  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

I like bacon!

I like grits!

I like girls with great big...

Just trying to be creative!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

I don't want to use the whole "band geek" label but it might be appropriate. VERY few people who were big on band in HS (not sure about college) were exactly big on sports in general.

Here's my point-- I would guess we have a lot of former athletes of various competitive levels on this board-- we know or have experienced the heat of battle and understand how certain things can distract us during play. This is why we ask fans to make noise while we are on defense and stay quiet while we are offense. Saying something PRIOR to a free throw can be just odd enough that the player loses concentration during the uncontested shot. Saying something AFTER the shot would be preferable if you are directing it at our players. You can be as creative as hell with that. If I were taking that free throw and had to ponder "Did they just say 'we like bacon'?" -- my head is in the wrong place entirely.

Maybe we just do it for the guys struggling at the line-- do that line "You can doooooo it" perhaps if you simply must say something before the guy shoots.

If we were trying to play an instrument, I think we would be all ears about any advice you had for us. And again-- I'm not trying to label band people as completely "geeky" or non-athletic, labels suck. I know because I was both an honor student/mathlete/science guy and a "jock" and those who didn't know me assumed I could only be one or the other (the dumb jock stereotype for example).

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I don't want to use the whole "band geek" label but it might be appropriate. VERY few people who were big on band in HS (not sure about college) were exactly big on sports in general.

Here's my point-- I would guess we have a lot of former athletes of various competitive levels on this board-- we know or have experienced the heat of battle and understand how certain things can distract us during play. This is why we ask fans to make noise while we are on defense and stay quiet while we are offense. Saying something PRIOR to a free throw can be just odd enough that the player loses concentration during the uncontested shot. Saying something AFTER the shot would be preferable if you are directing it at our players. You can be as creative as hell with that. If I were taking that free throw and had to ponder "Did they just say 'we like bacon'?" -- my head is in the wrong place entirely.

Maybe we just do it for the guys struggling at the line-- do that line "You can doooooo it" perhaps if you simply must say something before the guy shoots.

If we were trying to play an instrument, I think we would be all ears about any advice you had for us. And again-- I'm not trying to label band people as completely "geeky" or non-athletic, labels suck. I know because I was both an honor student/mathlete/science guy and a "jock" and those who didn't know me assumed I could only be one or the other (the dumb jock stereotype for example).

Thanks, MikeG. I think that's kinda what I was trying to say, but you put it more eloquently. I'm also not trying to stereotype, but speaking for myself personally, I only became a sports fan BECAUSE I was/is a band dork and I know there are plenty more of "us" who didn't encounter the same.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

dont yell anything when our guy is shooting

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

how about yelling "NOONAN" when the opposing team is shooting a free throw?

or not

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1

I agree that some of the bands cheers are lame but that has been recognized and addressed and should only improve from here on out.

Also, rather than complain about bad cheers, you could always...

START GOOD CHEERS!

I promise that if you come up with a better cheer, it will catch on.  the band is willing to and looking for good/witty/any cheers to join in on.

and in the words of Captain Planet...the power is yours!