• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SOS and Computer Polls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

computer never lies

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

computer never lies

It's obvious that you are not the most computer savy, so I'll try to explain.  Output from a computer is only as good as the data enter and data handling in the program used.  While a program will process the data the same way, there may be a bias built into the formula.  For example, I could create a team ranking system and base quality points based on conference.  Also if there is an inflated view of a conference, then playing teams in that conference would give your team a higher ranking.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  339
  • Days Won:  0

smazza, not really sure how you can complain about LOU's SOS when it's only 7 spots behind the all-mighty OSU's.  Ohio state is playing northwestern this week and played illinois state last week.  Every team plays weak opponents at some point in the season.

Louisville still has RUT, USF, and PITT (all bowl bound).  They're strength of schedule is going to go up.  They "scheduled" tough team, only some of them had unexpected down years.  No division I-AA team on their schedule.  And like someone said earlier, something like 9 of their opponents will likely make bowls this year.  Including @ kansas state (BIG12), MIA (ACC), and kentucky (SEC).

And can we lay off the USF SOS is only 103 BS???  It's getting incredibly old.  We all knew our season's SOS was going to be bad until we played LOU and WVU.  Does is really make all that much of a difference to the fans on this site?  Our SOS will shoot WAY up after we play those two.  I'm sure you have figured this out, on your own, by now.  Just give it a rest and let me know what the SOS was at the END of the year.  Then we may actually have something to talk about.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

smazza, you are out of touch with reality.  UL's SOS is going to skyrocket in the next 3 weeks (as it did last week).  no 1-AA, maryland is tops in ACC, miami is a powerhouse team that is down this year.  after this week, UL's SOS will be higher than ohio state.  You don't think Ohio state should be considered for the national title?  interesting.

computer rankings have UL #3, possibly higher if they beat rutgers.  gotta agree with them, because pac-10 is #1 conference.

computer never lies

It's obvious that you are not the most computer savy, so I'll try to explain.  Output from a computer is only as good as the data enter and data handling in the program used.  While a program will process the data the same way, there may be a bias built into the formula.  For example, I could create a team ranking system and base quality points based on conference.  Also if there is an inflated view of a conference, then playing teams in that conference would give your team a higher ranking.

cut to the chase

what is the builtin bias in the bcs formula?

do you really think ul,wv or ul played a top 20 schedule?  yes or no

wv and ul  and the big east look somewhat ridiculous.neither #3 team could win a tough game on the road

and ru will fall to WV

you think the bcs formula is biased towards the big east? yes or no

i am not computer savy but a the bcs formula is far more objective than anyone on this board

while wv,ul and ru are good teams they are not NC caliber teams and it was obvious long ago

smazza, you are out of touch with reality.  UL's SOS is going to skyrocket in the next 3 weeks (as it did last week).  no 1-AA, maryland is tops in ACC, miami is a powerhouse team that is down this year.  after this week, UL's SOS will be higher than ohio state.  You don't think Ohio state should be considered for the national title?  interesting.

computer rankings have UL #3, possibly higher if they beat rutgers.  gotta agree with them, because pac-10 is #1 conference.

you were saying

ul's SOS will rise  and their record will fall as evidenced last night

top big east teams cant beat a good team on the road

ru will lose to wv

big east  marque teams need to play great teams onroad before they play their respective big east schedule

miami is DOWN THIS YEAR.WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS YEAR.DONT YOU UNDERSTAND.PLAYING A TEAM THAT WAS GREAT THREE YEARS AGO DOESNT HELP YOU TODAY.

OHIO STATE BEAT TEXAS.OHIO STATE WILL HAVE TO BEAT MICHIGAN TO BE IN nc GAME

UL'S SOS MAY BE HIGHER THAN OHIO ST BUT IF IT IS IT WONT BE BY MUCH AND UL LOST

windbane-you are so lost on this issue it is funny

big east was exposed

windbane-pleae dont let me stop you.i enjoy you and anyone else trying to make a argument that the best big east team should be considered for a NC

do you now think ru should be in NC game?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

computer never lies

cut to the chase

what is the builtin bias in the bcs formula?

do you really think ul,wv or ul played a top 20 schedule?  yes or no

wv and ul  and the big east look somewhat ridiculous.neither #3 team could win a tough game on the road

and ru will fall to WV

you think the bcs formula is biased towards the big east? yes or no

i am not computer savy but a the bcs formula is far more objective than anyone on this board

while wv,ul and ru are good teams they are not NC caliber teams and it was obvious long ago

The BCS is bias to the teams that had done well the previous season and toward the, "power conferences".  The pre-season rankings are the beginning of the BCS rankings and the humans that vote in these give more weight to playing in certain conferences.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

If Rutgers had played anybody decent in their OOC schedule, this wouldn't be an issue, but wins over Howard, Navy, UNC, etc. will not exactly boost your spot in the rankings

If Rutgers had played anybody decent in their OOC schedule, this wouldn't be an issue, but wins over Howard, Navy, UNC, etc. will not exactly boost your spot in the rankings

RT-why is so obvious to us and not the google and green

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

because we don't live in the green and gold world anymore, we have an outside perspective which makes us anti-USF and USC and UT supporters only, respectively