• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does Grothe have the potential to be like..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Pat White is and prolly always will be the better athlete (baring serious injury)

Matt is the better QB.

White is like Vick his real threat is the ability to run and create something big out of nothing.  Grothe's strength is he is pretty efficient with the ball and is a good leader.  Both have a few years to develop but i feel  my first assesment will hold true all the way through bothes college tenures.

vick is a pretty good passer, too.  7 TDs, over 500 yards the last 2 weeks.  I wonder if Pat White will have games like that.

funny you bring that up considering vick was below 17th in every single passing catagory before going against two bad passing defenses.   If i wasnt lazy i would bring up the thread where i layed this all out around 2 weeks ago.  But hey 2 weeks is such a better indicator than the rest of the seaon.....

heh, now pittsburgh had a bad defense?  no one expected vick to do that against pitt.  no one expected him to follow it up.  no matter how bad the secondary, he had done something QBs rarely do and he has never done.  gotta tell ya, that pitt defense sure got worse since last year when they obviously had the best defense if they won the championship.  we have no lives and we should go to sleep.

oh, and pat white is very versatile, but not like vick.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Actually white is very like vick like is stated either in this thread or like another.  Hes great with his legs but leaves alot to be desired as a passer.  Again you are taking vicks stats for 2 games and making them gosple rather than looking at the rest of his body of work this season.  He has 2 good games since being in the botton 1/2 of starters in performance for the rest of the season.  If i had that same reasoning i could say alot of average players were great.  What about Tatum bell who before last week put together two very good games in a row before losing the majority of the carries agaisnt the clots to Mike Bell?  So because tatum has a couple of games and some past success hes instantly one of the best RB's in the league?  Seriously this what have you dont for me latley attitude is a travesty in modern sports.   To be a good player you need to prove your worth over a seaon not just 2 games

Actually white is very like vick like is stated either in this thread or like another.  Hes great with his legs but leaves alot to be desired as a passer.  Again you are taking vicks stats for 2 games and making them gosple rather than looking at the rest of his body of work this season.  He has 2 good games since being in the botton 1/2 of starters in performance for the rest of the season.  If i had that same reasoning i could say alot of average players were great.  What about Tatum bell who before last week put together two very good games in a row before losing the majority of the carries agaisnt the clots to Mike Bell?  So because tatum has a couple of games and some past success hes instantly one of the best RB's in the league?  Seriously this what have you dont for me latley attitude is a travesty in modern sports.   To be a good player you need to prove your worth over a seaon not just 2 games

tatum bell was injured.  i picked him up in my fantasy league so we'll see what happens.  mike bell looked impressive though.  shannahan is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately guy, too.

Vick was successful at passing in college.  White has yet to do it much.  btw, marcus vick was better at passing than both.  peter warrick managed to outscore mike vick in that championship game, though.  go offense.

btw, jaws is all over vick saying his ability to read coverage is excellent and he's just been running too quickly.  now, he's passing the ball very well.  2 games?  ok, but at least he's shown he can do it.

tatum bell was injured.  i picked him up in my fantasy league so we'll see what happens.  mike bell looked impressive though.  shannahan is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately guy, too.

Vick was successful at passing in college.  White has yet to do it much.  btw, marcus vick was better at passing than both.  peter warrick managed to outscore mike vick in that championship game, though.  go offense.

btw, jaws is all over vick saying his ability to read coverage is excellent and he's just been running too quickly.  now, he's passing the ball very well.  2 games?  ok, but at least he's shown he can do it.

again how many YEARS has vick been in the league, how many GAME has he been a great passer you can count them on one hand.  Also college success and NFL success are two different things just ask Ryan Leaf,  Danny Weurrfel, and Charlie Ward.  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

He has the potential to be just as good of college qb, but White have much more NFL potential.

Grothe is not as fast, and lacks the arm strength of White, but is a more accurate passer and better vocal leader.

neither guy is playing one down in the nfl as a QB imo

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

louisville proved just how one dimensional wv is last night.

pat white cant beat you with his arm

again how many YEARS has vick been in the league, how many GAME has he been a great passer you can count them on one hand.  Also college success and NFL success are two different things just ask Ryan Leaf,  Danny Weurrfel, and Charlie Ward.  

do not compare ryan leaf, danny weurrfel, and charlie ward.  Charlie Ward chose to play basketball and perhaps made more money there than he would have in the NFL.  Ward was one of the best college players ever (obviously, he also played basketball and was recruited by MLB scouts in addition to his heisman).  anyway, vick can pass well.  it would help if he had decent receivers as well.  pat white is no vick.  grothe is a different QB and he's a great leader thus far.  needs to fumble less, but i'm sure that will improve.

do not compare ryan leaf, danny weurrfel, and charlie ward.  Charlie Ward chose to play basketball and perhaps made more money there than he would have in the NFL.  Ward was one of the best college players ever (obviously, he also played basketball and was recruited by MLB scouts in addition to his heisman).  anyway, vick can pass well.  it would help if he had decent receivers as well.  pat white is no vick.  grothe is a different QB and he's a great leader thus far.  needs to fumble less, but i'm sure that will improve.

My comparison was lost on you evidently....I was using those players to show being a great college passer and a great NFL passer are two totally different things.  All of the 3 i listed were great COLLEGE passers but didnt do anything in the pros or in the case of Ward (Who scouts were really questioning due to lack of NFL arm strength and size)  chose to play another sport because the tools that an NFL QB needs and a college QB needs are worlds apart.   Many very good and in some cases GREAT college QB's dont translate into NFL qbs was the point of the comparison.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

He has the potential to be just as good of college qb, but White have much more NFL potential.

Grothe is not as fast, and lacks the arm strength of White, but is a more accurate passer and better vocal leader.

Unless White improves dramatically, he won't see NFL time as a QB ever.  He could get a similar role to randel el and such though.

Grothe has a shot.  It all depends on how well he develops.  To answer your question though, he will never RUN like White.