• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU-Ville Winner Might Play for All the Marbles

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

But the question for a 1 loss Michigan becomes who have they played besides OSU? 

That is a good question, one that the pollsters will have to grapple with if UM loses.  The Big Ten is not as strong across the board as it used to be.  There was a story in the Detroit Free Press today that pointed out that there were three Big Ten conference games that had spreads greater than three touchdowns, and used that as part of its arguments that the conference has moved towards one with top and bottom teams, and little in between.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

awesome, now let me find the threads where people said USC would win out...

You have my confession.  I thought they were better than that, and would at least wait until Cal, Oregon, or a team like that until they lost.

No way should a 1 loss UF or 1 loss Auburn make it in over UL (IF IF IF UL manages to beat WVU).  In fact, I'm having doubts Auburn even plays for the SEC title.  Arkansas has to lose 2 games, and that might not happen.  UL played a decent schedule, and I bet they could get through the SEC in similar fashion to UF or Auburn.  The BE isn't a picnic, and UL will have wins over several ranked teams should they go undefeated.  Keeping them out would be similar to keeping 2001 or 2002 Miami out...BS

For that matter, if you analyzed it from a complete season perspective, would 1 loss UF even be better than 1 loss Michigan (or Ohio State)?  I don't like teams being penalized more or less for when they lose in a season...especially in a case where the loss came to a much, much better team than any UF or AU have seen or will see.

But the question for a 1 loss Michigan becomes who have they played besides OSU? An overrated ND that will be exposed against USC just like they would against anyteam that brings a good offense and above average D, and the big 10 regular season teams that are less than impressive outside of OSU.   Again UL hasnt played a team that is good yet and wont be tested until rugters and wv of whom neither has truly been tested either.  I could see UL losing 2-4 games in the SEC.  Put them in say floridas schedule and i can see them losing too any of if not all of  the following UT, LSU, AU, on their best day and i could see them losing to a UGA or Bamma if they dont show up.  The best teams in the SEC have been tested multiple times while the best teams in the BE have yet to be tested at all because of the way their schedules work out.  I really cant say i know exatly what a UL or WVU truley has yet because they have yet to play any good teams this season.  Mean while the top of the SEC has played atleast 1-2 top 10 teams at this point of the season.  Take LSU for example which has loses to two top teams in UF and Auburn and is out of the NC race because of playing two teams that are top 5 teams.  The SEC is its own wrost enemy when it comes to winning a national championship because you have to usually go through 3-5 top 10 and even in some cases 2 of those being top 5 teams in the regular season then play another top 10 if not top 5 team in the SEC championship game normally.  I dont see a team like WVU or UL being able to handle that type of competition week in and week out.  Its a shame we prolly wont see a playoff because college football is just NFL lite in sheeps clothing hiding behind pagentry and traidition when it all really boilds down to $$ as to why an obsolete system is used to choose who is the best team rather than settling it on the field.  

why are you whoring it up with the SEC?  the SEC only plays all those ranked teams because pollsters vote them high every year.  georgia was the worst looking ranked team that barely beat crappy teams until FINALLY they starting losing them.  until then, they didnt drop in the polls at all and were still #25/26 when they played UF.  UF, btw, that didnt beat georgia by a whole lot and lost to auburn that cant score.  this arguement is getting tiring.  

the SEC has a lot of ranked teams because they are voted so high.  well, those same people currently vote WVU and UL above ALL OF THEM.  so if you're going to use the polls as an arguement for how good they are, then you have to count the polls for the big east teams.

btw, Louisville would do just fine in the SEC, especially if they had their heisman-candidate RB.  how soon you forget that WVU beat SEC's best team last year in a BCS game, huh?

WVU, UL, and Rutgers, who should be in top 10 because their SOS is higher than both the other teams, which are actually close to equal according to records (89 for WVU and 85 for UL), will have been tested quite well.  pitt and USF also loom for 2 of them.

pitt is worthy of being ranked and would have been if they beat UNDEFEATED rutgers.  if they were ranked as high as they should have been (say, higher than inferior georgia), every game pitt was in would look "oh so hard" like all those stupid SEC teams claim their games are.

SEC has decent teams but they are always ranked high based on rep, not always on how good their team is. georgia was overranked because of record last year, tennessee was underanked because of record last year.  pre-season rankings mean too much.

there will not be a rematch of the stupid big ten game.  i'm not sure why you think the loser dropping to 4th or 5th in both human polls wouldnt move them back enough.  even if WVU/UL or a 1-loss team was 5th in computers they would be 2nd in both of the other polls that account for 2/3rds of the BCS.  but hey, if it happens, thats another thing wrong with the BCS, especially if there is an undefeated team out there.

i think if WVU or UL go undefeated the computer polls will reward them with a nice top 5 position to go with their 2nd or 3rd position in the other 2 polls and all would be well.

however...i would love for rutgers to go undefeated, arkansas to win out, and then either a big-10 rematch, auburn, or tennessee to make it to the national championship game (from arkanas beating UF in SEC champ. game and USF beating WVU, heh).  how ridiculous would that be?

Guest r_to_the_izzo
If the OSU/UM game is within 7 points they will have a rematch, assuming they win out.

What are you basing this on.  Opinion? or have you projected what the bcs poll will look like a month from now if that happens.

Yes. That is my opinion.

Guest r_to_the_izzo
there will not be a rematch of the stupid big ten game.  i'm not sure why you think the loser dropping to 4th or 5th in both human polls wouldnt move them back enough.  even if WVU/UL or a 1-loss team was 5th in computers they would be 2nd in both of the other polls that account for 2/3rds of the BCS.  but hey, if it happens, thats another thing wrong with the BCS, especially if there is an undefeated team out there.

i think if WVU or UL go undefeated the computer polls will reward them with a nice top 5 position to go with their 2nd or 3rd position in the other 2 polls and all would be well.

however...i would love for rutgers to go undefeated, arkansas to win out, and then either a big-10 rematch, auburn, or tennessee to make it to the national championship game (from arkanas beating UF in SEC champ. game and USF beating WVU, heh).  how ridiculous would that be?

Unless OSU blows out Michigan, the most they will drop is one slot. The only teams that can catch those two are (in this order) UF if they win out, USC if they win out, WVU if they win out, Texas. And since Texas has played a much tougher schedule then WVU, those might be switched.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We'll see how many points USC loses when they release the new BCS ratings.  That will give you an idea of what the additional loss does to the points, and can be used as a guide looking at OSU-UM.  Also keep in mind that for either WVU or Ville to stay undefeated means that they will have to beat two ranked teams in the coming weeks.  That will solidify the hold on a number three spot in the BCS rankings, and increase their SOS in the computer segment.  Personally, I see WVU in the BCS championship game, but it is still early and anything can happen.

the 2 ranked teams have high #sos so beating them will not have the effect you would think or hope

beating rutgers#98,wv#92 pitt #84 or ul#70 will not help much.the schdule of big east teams are so bad

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

THE SOS rankings are determined by the rank of who you play NOT who those teams have played thus the BE teams will improve as they play each other.

Louisville #7, WV #9, RU #11, Pitt #27

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

THE SOS rankings are determined by the rank of who you play NOT who those teams have played thus the BE teams will improve as they play each other.

Louisville #7, WV #9, RU #11, Pitt #27

if it were only that simple

a team's opponents opponents records come into play as well as the teams opponent's record

the sos formula is a bit more complicated  than you suggest

the big east is at  clear disadvantage because of weak scehdules.it always come back to weak schedules and big east cant get away from it.

the league has to play a more conscious effort to upgrade all schedules  if they want national respect

wv playing eastern washinton as their 12th game was a joke

no matter this will all play out

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

I agree BUT the fcats are that very few power teams in BCS conferences will be willing to play WV or UL home/away.

Here are Auburn's out of conference opponents; Wash st,Buffalo,Tulane and Arkansas St ALL at home

LSU"s; Lousiana Lafayette,Arizona,Tulane and Fresno, ALL at HOME

Florida's; Southern Miss,UCF, Western Carlina and @ FSU

Michigan's; Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, Ball State, @ Notre Dame

Unless OSU blows out Michigan, the most they will drop is one slot. The only teams that can catch those two are (in this order) UF if they win out, USC if they win out, WVU if they win out, Texas. And since Texas has played a much tougher schedule then WVU, those might be switched.

any team that loses drops at least 4 or 5 spots in the 2 polls that account for TWO THIRDS of the BCS ranking.  not sure how you figure this.  they tweaked the system because of that oklahoma situation of them getting in despite getting blown out in their conference championship.  WVU's schedule strength will be fine as they play all the winning teams left on their schedule.

but WVU will likely lose with that schedule coming up anyway.  we should see what happens to that big ten loser, though.