• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

SOUTH FLORIDA

INSIDE SLANT

This time, there were no late comebacks, no breakdowns on the game's final plays.

This time there was no South Florida drama.

OK, there was a little drama.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Grothe, who makes the Bills' offense run, left Saturday night's 38-16 blowout of Connecticut early in the second quarter with a right foot injury. With the home crowd and his teammates hoping for the best, he returned later in the quarter and led his team to a win that snapped a two-game losing streak and lifted USF to 4-2 (1-1 Big East).

"It was the worst pain," Grothe said later. "I've broken some bones (a finger) before. Whenever I break something in the past it goes numb and that's how it went. I thought I messed something up pretty bad."

As it turned out, he stretched ligaments in the foot. But the real pain was suffered by UConn, which had come to Tampa and ended USF's Big East title plans with a 15-10 win last year.

Grothe was 12-for-15 for 146 yards and a passing touchdown and also ran for 82 yards and three scores. He is the USF offense -– and got some surprise help from walk-on RB Benjamin Williams, who ran for a career-high 108 yards and two touchdowns. Williams gave the Bulls something they hadn't had all season -– a running game besides Grothe.

The Bulls visit North Carolina next week for the final non-conference game of the season.

NOTES, QUOTES

GAME BALL GOES TO: QB Matt Grothe -– He injured his right foot early in the second quarter Saturday night but returned and was responsible for four touchdowns –- three running –- in the 38-16 blowout of Connecticut. Grothe was 12-for-15 for 146 yards passing.

KEEP AN EYE ON: RB Benjamin Williams –- The sophomore is a walk-on, but perhaps not for long as he ran for a career-high 108 yards and a TD on 22 carries. "What a great job. I better put him on scholarship, huh?" said USF coach Jim Leavitt. "I'm proud of him. He played well."

QUOTE TO NOTE:"I was praying. I said a few prayers for him. I asked the Lord to heal him. You get a little worried but you want to stay focused. I know what it's like without Matt. He's a very talented player. I'm glad he's fine." – USF LB Ben Moffitt, after the foot injury suffered by QB Matt Grothe in the second quarter of Saturday night's win over UConn

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

LOOKING GOOD: QB Matt Grothe had to miss part of the second quarter Saturday night with a foot injury, but returned and finished 12-for-15 for 146 yards and a touchdown passing and 82 yards and three scores on 15 rushing attempts in leading USF to victory.

RB Benjamin Williams –- Still just a walk-on, the sophomore ran for a career-high 108 yards and a score (a 15-yarder) on 22 carries in the win over UConn.

DB Jerome Murphy –- He blocked a punt in the victory.

WR Amarri Jackson -– Had his first career touchdown reception against UConn.

The USF defense –- It limited UConn all-time rushing leader Terry Caulley to 38 yards on 14 carries and held the Huskies to 60 yards on the ground.

STILL NEEDS WORK: This is a proud defense, and even though the Bulls stopped Caulley and the UConn running game, LB Stephen Nicholas said: "We have some kinks to work out on defense, but we did pretty good. It was important to break out of the losing streak and get back on the right track."

ROSTER REPORT: With RB Ricky Ponton set to return from suspension at North Carolina, USF coach Jim Leavitt didn't say whether he or walk-on Benjamin Williams would start –- Williams running up a career game Saturday night.

Grothe left Saturday night's game early in the second quarter with a right injury but returned later in the quarter. He has stretched ligaments on top of his foot but don't expect him to miss any time.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Is that possible?

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

But the real pain was suffered by UConn, which had come to Tampa and ended USF's Big East title plans with a 15-10 win last year.

umm... no...

I was going to point that out, but figured i'd give someone else the chance.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Is that possible?

What, did you think he had been good for anything besides the four big plays against Louisville last year?

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Is that possible?

What, did you think he had been good for anything besides the four big plays against Louisville last year?

I think that says more about our passing game last year than it does about Amari.... ::)

He ran for two TD's and passed for one agasint Louisville and he had a great run (reverse) for a TD against Cincy last year.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

Is that possible?

Yes, because his other touchdowns have not been Receptions, he took them in on reverses

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

that is what i was talking about

receivers need to step up and  dominate opposing dbs

amari is far to talented to have only one td reception.he should have one a game.

I find it remarkable that this was his first career TD. I realize he didn't do much besides drop passes last year outside of the louisville game...but still to think he was the #1 reciever last year and didnt have a single TD reception is surprising...even though we only had 8 all year.