• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

will our Oline be

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

up to the task of run blocking when ponton returns.

or was the problems the RB's.

hope ponton runs wild

Guest R_to_the_izzo

I think the problem was the backs. Watch tapes of the game, and tell me how many tackles they broke. I bet you could count it on one hand. Some of the times they went down they had holes and were grabbed by one arm and went down.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think it's a combination of both. Our line has NOT run blocked well, but we also haven't had great backs back there.

We'll see how Ponton runs, he's shown the ability to break tackles, but seems more like a straight ahead runner (which was all he was used as last year) which might be why Plancher was preferred. He fit a lot better in this spread offense.

The best guess to say is...We'll see. I don't think Ponton is going to be the miracle worker many are predicting but he will be MUCH better than anything we have back there now.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Grothe has been able to run.  I watched the RU game again last night and notice Williams did go down pretty easily.  He also hesitated sometimes into the lane which would close by the time he got there.  

I think we'll be MUCH better with Ponton in there no matter what /you says.  

Well Grothe has the threat of throwing or running to the outside which makes any QB dangerous. Not to mention on called QB running plays you've got an extra blocker which allows for a little better coverage.

I just think the Oline is not opening holes for our backs (no matter how bad they are) and Ponton is most effective between the tackles (at least from what I've seen). It's my belief that our backs need to get to the outside to be most effective because there has been nothing up the middle regardless of who has been back there.

I'm not saying that Ponton won't be a welcome resource, we need anything back there that can give us at least 60-80 yards a game rushing. I just don't think he'll explode for 120 a game like many are believing. What he will do is open more options for Grothe to run so the defense isn't keyed on him so much.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Watch the replay of the Rutgers game... the o-line blasted open some major holes against them.  The RB's don't seem to be fast enough (or able to change direction fast enough that is) to capitalize on the opportunities.  I saw at least 2 plays that would have been 30+ yard gainers if we had a back as fast/nimble as Andre Hall.

We should see a decent running game this week even without Ponton back, as Uconn was real soft on the ends last week and the Offense seems to be speedy enough to the outside to take advantage.  I really expect to see some of the option this weekend.  Anything to keep the defense honest, as Uconn has a pretty **** good secondary.

When Ponton comes back, there should be marked improvement in the running game.  Enough to make the offense a well balanced unit.              

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

ponton did some nice flair outs to get in open space last year we could do some of that as well

I think we'll attack the UConn ends this weekend. Navy did it and suceeded well. Option ia great way to go especially if (major if) we use a guy like Ean in the shotgun backfield w/ Grothe just to add some speed to the outside.

I think this weekend could be a good preview of what this offense wants to do with Grothe the next few years. (not saying it's a win, just saying this could be a game where we let the leash out a little)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Ponton only lost a total of 10 yards all season, 92 carries.

4.1 Average ... he will definately help - and we'll see how much.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

B Williams started showing signs of hitting the hole faster last game...so maybe we'll see a little more Saturday then Ricky is back for UNC...even though I doubt he starts