• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usc

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why would you post a reply if you didnt care?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USC Out to Roll Over Sun Devils, Then Heal

The No. 3 Trojans are looking forward to next week's break and a chance to mend injuries, but first they must deal with Arizona State.

By Gary Klein, Times Staff Writer

October 14, 2006

USC can sense it, beckoning from just beyond the horizon.

The third-ranked Trojans have an open date next week, offering a rare midseason break and mending opportunity for a team that has been racked by injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

But before they can rest and begin preparing for the toughest part of their schedule, the Trojans must get past Arizona State today at the Coliseum.

"It's a chance to finish off the first half, and that's how we're going about it," Coach Pete Carroll said.

USC is 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the Pacific 10 Conference, but the Trojans hobble into the game against the Sun Devils after victories over Washington State and Washington, both of which came down to the final seconds.

Receivers Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith and starting guard Chilo Rachal all could play today, but they are among several USC players who are nursing injuries and looking forward to the off week and a chance to heal.

"It's going to be nice to hopefully get a chance to get back to full strength, not just me personally, but for the whole team," said Smith, who suffered a foot injury against Washington.

With the first Bowl Championship Series standings coming out Sunday, USC could be feeling a lot more pain if it slips against the Sun Devils.

Arizona State is a mystery of sorts. The Sun Devils started the season with victories over Northern Arizona, Nevada and Colorado, then were slammed while playing the toughest early schedule in the Pac-10.

California routed the Sun Devils at Berkeley, 49-21, and Oregon blasted them in Tempe, 48-13.

"When things are going well, it's easy to build on that," Coach Dirk Koetter said. "When you're struggling, even getting a first down is tough sometimes. Mainly, our troubles can be traced to turnovers."

Carroll sees it exactly the same way, though his concern centers on his defense's recent inability to create turnovers.

The Trojans intercepted a desperation pass against Washington State but otherwise failed to get pressure on the quarterback, recover a fumble or pick off a pass in their last two games. USC has only seven sacks this season, and five of those came against Arizona on Sept. 23.

"When you're hitting the quarterback, that's always a traditionally great way to get the ball loose and all that," Carroll said. "Those two things do go hand in hand in that regard, so hopefully we'll get some heat."

Arizona State's quarterback situation has been a flash point all season.

At the conclusion of training camp, Koetter announced that senior Sam Keller would be the starter. But after a meeting with players, he reversed the decision and announced that sophomore Rudy Carpenter would start.

Keller, who helped stake the Sun Devils to an 18-point halftime lead against the Trojans last season, transferred to Nebraska and will have another shot at knocking off USC next season in Lincoln.

Meanwhile, Carpenter, who led the nation in passing efficiency last season, has struggled.

The former Newbury Park and Westlake High quarterback's completion percentage has fallen every game, from 71% in the opener to 32% against Oregon, and he's had seven passes intercepted in the last three games.

Carpenter got a chance to regroup last week because Arizona State had an open date. The Trojans expect him to return at the top of his game.

"You give Rudy Carpenter time, he's one of those quarterbacks that can just sit back and pick you apart," linebacker Brian Cushing said.

Alex Brink of Washington State and Isaiah Stanback of Washington did just that against a USC defense that ranks seventh in the conference in opponent third-down conversions.

Brink utilized quick drops to release the ball before he was hit. Stanback worked primarily out of a shotgun formation and took advantage of his scrambling ability.

Neither completed a pass longer than 28 yards, but both kept their teams on the move and kept the ball out of USC's hands.

Carroll said the Trojans cannot allow Carpenter to find his groove.

"They're just one game from getting back on track again," Carroll said. "It just can't be this week."

Sports : College Football Print   E-mail story   Most e-mailed      Change text size  

USC KEYS TO THE GAME

October 14, 2006

1Establish the run. Quarterbacks John David Booty and Rudy Carpenter are looking to rebound from their worst performances of the season, and each will need a strong rushing attack to help him do it. Tailback Chauncey Washington has led the Trojans in carries and yardage the last two games and seems to be on the brink of a breakout game. Arizona State's Ryan Torain is fifth in the conference in rushing, averaging 93.4 yards a game and 6.3 yards a carry.

2Tight ends. If Carpenter breaks out of his slump, All-American Zach Miller will no doubt help him do it. Miller leads the Sun Devils with 17 receptions and also is a key blocker for a rushing attack that ranks second in the Pac-10. With several receivers nursing injuries, USC tight end Fred Davis has become one of Booty's favorite targets as a primary and secondary receiver. He is fourth on the team with 19 catches and could play a larger role against Arizona State if Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett remain slowed.

ADVERTISEMENT

3Turnovers. It only seems like an eternity since USC recovered a fumble or gave the ball back to its offense with an interception. It has actually been only two games. Still, the topic dominated conversation in meetings and on the practice field this week, so expect an even greater emphasis on ball-hawking today. Arizona State has been plagued by turnovers. If the Sun Devils take care of the ball, they could pull off what Washington State and Washington fell just short of accomplishing: an upset win at the end.

USC REPORT

He'd Love an Interception, Without the Consequences

October 14, 2006

USC safety Kevin Ellison suffered a season-ending knee injury while intercepting a pass against Arizona State last season, but the sophomore says he finds no special significance in today's game against the Sun Devils.

"It could have happened at any time against any team," Ellison said this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ellison's interception a year ago is worth noting because it exemplifies what the Trojans have been missing the last two games.

USC trailed Arizona State, 21-3, at halftime but came back to take a 31-28 lead in the fourth quarter.

Arizona State was driving when Sun Devils receiver Derek Hagan leaped for a high pass over the middle. Hagan got his hands on the ball, but it fell toward the ground.

Ellison, who had dropped into zone coverage, raced toward the play and caught the ball, securing one of the Trojans' five interceptions in a 38-28 victory.

"I'm going to use that example forever," Greg Burns, then USC's secondary coach, said after the game. "That's what happens when you run to the ball."

Ellison suffered torn knee ligaments on the play and had surgery a year ago this week. He was on the field for spring practice five months later and has been a solid performer for a defense that is intent on ending a turnover drought.

"We're not concerned, but we're aware we have to create more opportunities because you can cause sudden changes in the game," Ellison said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USC fans might not savor last-second finishes with opponents on the brink of an upset, but Coach Pete Carroll apparently enjoys the experience.

"I'm a little stupid about it, but I like it," Carroll said. "I think they make for good memories and it gives us things to talk about in the huddle in between big plays and timeouts in a manner to approach those situations with a philosophy that might surprise you … that we like it, that we're enjoying it and that we're looking forward to getting it done.

"There's a lot that goes on there that's pretty cool."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USC is 13-9 against Arizona State dating to 1978 when the Sun Devils joined the Pac-10. The Trojans have won six of the last eight games involving the schools. Arizona State's last victory was in 1999 at the Coliseum…. USC has no players on its roster from Arizona. The Sun Devils have 43 Californians…. There will be a flyover by an Air Force F-117 jet during the national anthem…. The 2007 class of USC's Athletic Hall of Fame will be introduced during halftime.

usc is invincible at home

they have a real home filed advantage

90k strong in attendance helps

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

USC is soft and will get smacked in a bowl since they dont play any good OOC teams.  I really hope a team like Aurburn Michigan, LSU or any team with a fast physical defense gets to play them.  They play in a soft conference and will fold like laundry mat employee if you punch them in the mouth.  Also there is no real Americas team in college football because all of it is regional interest.  Texas is proof of this as they beat down USC's seeminly unstoppable offense and beat them for the NC.  

Pac-10=

200.jpg

USC is soft and will get smacked in a bowl since they dont play any good OOC teams.  I really hope a team like Aurburn Michigan, LSU or any team with a fast physical defense gets to play them.  They play in a soft conference and will fold like laundry mat employee if you punch them in the mouth.  Also there is no real Americas team in college football because all of it is regional interest.  Texas is proof of this as they beat down USC's seeminly unstoppable offense and beat them for the NC.  

Pac-10=

200.jpg

what?

nebraska

arkansas

notre dame

usc strength oif schedule is #1

they did that auburn thing already and embarassed them twice

arkansas twice

who else from sed would you like usc to embarrass

usc will be losing to osu in national championship game

pac 10 is ranked #1 by sagarin

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Pac-10=

200.jpg

what?

nebraska

arkansas

notre dame

usc strength oif schedule is #1

they did that auburn thing already and embarassed them twice

arkansas twice

who else from sed would you like usc to embarrass

usc will be losing to osu in national championship game

Notre dame=Overrated because of their soft schedule and the media loving all things Notre dame, Michigan exposed them

Nebraska= Again overrated because they are a historic program that is coming out of being pretty bad for a while and is now respectable, kansas put up over 500+yds of offense against them

Arkansas-  Congrats you beat a middle of the pack SEC team, play one of the big boys and they will punch your mentally and phyiscally soft team in the mouth and they dont react well when that happnes

When did USC play auburn in the last few years please enlighten me?

Only sec team they have played is a middle of the road arkansas team.  

Like i said your schedule is full of soft pac 10 teams and teams that are generally overrated and a middle of the road sec school. Im glad the computers like you, but the computers analyze numbers and not on the field match ups and intangables like mental and physical toughness.  Only people/things  who think USC and the pac 10 are the best team/conference are west coast homers and computers that can only deal with numbers.  Play a team that will smack you in the mouth and the trojans will fall.  You lack the weapons that you had over the past few years (bush, lienart, white byrd) all you have left is jarrett. When a REAL DEFENSE comes calling you will see just how soft your team and conference is and get a nice little wake up call just like Cal did.    

USC REPORT

He Tries to Avoid Type Casting

October 21, 2006

With no practice Friday and an open date today, USC players are enjoying a weekend respite from the physical punishment that is meted out on the field.

Few welcomed the revitalizing break more than Ben Malcolmson, a sportswriter-turned-receiver who made the unlikely jump from the press box to the roster of one of the nation's top college programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm always sore," Malcolmson said, laughing.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Malcolmson, who had not played tackle football since the fifth grade, participated in an open tryout at USC before spring practice. The Dallas native planned to write a story about his experience for the Daily Trojan, the campus newspaper.

To his surprise, he made the team.

"I thought I was dreaming," he said at the time.

Malcolmson, however, suffered a shoulder injury a few weeks into spring practice and had surgery 10 days later. Doctors told him it might be a nine-month recovery, but Malcolmson was determined to come back sooner.

For months, he showed up in the basement weight room at Heritage Hall, lifting light dumbbells to strengthen his shoulder and his resolve.

"There's always that thought in the back in of your mind, 'Is it worth it?' " said Malcolmson, who is taking graduate courses this semester. "It's not that I'm that good of a player or the team really needs me. But you have an opportunity in front of you to get back and potentially play. I couldn't pass that up no matter how much work I had to put in."

Malcolmson, 21, missed training camp and the first four games before he was cleared for contact. He suited up for the Trojans' Oct. 7 home game against Washington and was overwhelmed by the experience.

"It was surreal, it's hard to even remember it," he said. "All I could say all day was, 'Wow.' "

On Wednesday, exactly six months after surgery, Malcolmson was on the practice field against the first-unit kickoff coverage team when linebacker Rey Maualuga, a 6-3, 250-pound Butkus Award semifinalist, barreled through him.

"I just got obliterated," Malcolmson said.

But with starters resting Thursday, Malcolmson achieved a milestone of sorts.

The offense faced a third-and-10 situation when he hauled in an eight-yard pass in the left flat from walk-on quarterback Duron Sylvester. Malcolmson lowered his surgically repaired right shoulder and bulled through two tacklers for the first down.

Teammates and coaches cheered.

"I did it without thinking," Malcolmson said. "I got tackled, got up and was like, 'Wow, that felt pretty good.' "

USC Coach Pete Carroll said he respects the effort all walk-ons put in each year, including Malcolmson.

"I know how meaningful it is to him, how excited he is about it and how much he's poured himself into this return from injury, the rehab and all that," Carroll said. "His attitude has been great. He stays late and works all the time trying to catch up. It's a beautiful thing."

Malcolmson would like to play in a game but realizes the chances are slim of doing anything other than performing for the scout team in practice. Nevertheless, he remains thrilled to be part of the team.

"It's gotten to the point where I'm not in this for me anymore," he said. "If that means working my tail off during the week and coming out of the [Coliseum] tunnel on Saturday, I'm happy with that.

"It's already beyond what you could imagine or ever dream."

Carroll and his assistants are spending the weekend recruiting. Carroll was scheduled to attend two games Friday and at least one today…. Carroll gave players the usual warnings about avoiding trouble during the weekend off. Some players were scheduled to take flights home for the weekend. "I'm in favor of them trying to get out of here," Carroll said. "Just make sure they get back on time. Hopefully, we'll get all that done."