• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usf should use this  technique to raise funds

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USC football finds way to turn an extra buck

By Jerry Crowe, Times Staff Writer

September 25, 2006

You would think that after winning two national titles in three seasons, reaching the bowl championship series title game in the other, adding two Heisman trophies to its case and drawing capacity crowds to the Coliseum, USC had wrung all it could wring out of Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart and their poll-topping teammates.

Think again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Check out usctrojans.com, the Trojans' official website, where fans can enter into the bidding for game-worn jerseys used during the Bush-Leinart era.

In the latest example of its effort to cash in on the enormous popularity of Coach Pete Carroll's high-flying football program, USC has joined a growing number of schools, among them UCLA, in diving headlong into the sports collectibles business by auctioning apparel worn by its athletes during games.

As of Sunday, the bidding for a white No. 5 jersey worn by Bush in road games had reached $3,550 as today's 2 p.m. bid deadline approached.

Other jerseys worn by last year's Heisman Trophy winner, as well as jerseys worn by Leinart, LenDale White and Dwayne Jarrett and others, will be auctioned this fall, said Jose Eskenazi, associate athletic director.

USC, which plows the money back into the athletic department, already has pocketed $1,050 for a jersey worn by All-American receiver Mike Williams during its title-winning 2003 season and $1,150 for a jersey worn by former backup John David Booty, now the Trojans' starting quarterback.

Last fall, the ball carried into the end zone by Leinart for the winning touchdown at Notre Dame was auctioned off by USC for $15,000.

For fans, of course, these are impossible-to-duplicate keepsakes, a chance to pick up authentic equipment that might even include blood or grass stains.

Jim Zilka of Lake Forest, Ill., shelled out $700 for a No. 80 jersey worn last season by his son, John, a walk-on receiver.

"We just went for it," said Zilka, who guessed that the bidding spiked because the same number was worn by former USC receiver Johnnie Morton. "I did it more to put money back into the program because Coach Carroll gave my son a scholarship his senior year and that was a big surprise, very unexpected.

"It was a small way for me to say thanks."

And so what if the Trojans are cashing in on their success?

"You can't blame them for that," Zilka said.

Others, though, find it unseemly that schools would further profit from the star power of athletes who already have swollen their coffers  without compensation to the athletes, of course. NCAA rules do not allow players to share in the proceeds from memorabilia sales, even if they've exhausted their eligibility.

"When you start going past promoting the team and selling individual players' merchandise, it feels like it's crossing the line into exploitation," said George Gardner, director of strategic communication at the Northeastern University Center for the Study of Sport in Society. "There are no specific rules about this, but the NCAA certainly has guidelines discouraging schools from exploiting athletes. These student-athletes, the schools benefit quite a bit from their presence.

"Let's draw the line."

Notre Dame wrestled with its decision to enter this realm, a spokesman said, before contracting this summer with a New York collectibles company that also hawks equipment used by the New York Yankees. In years past, the school sold off its soiled duds informally  from a tent set up outside Notre Dame Stadium.

"I think these are tough questions that everybody deals with," said John Heisler, senior associate athletic director. "I guess all of us, especially if you have visible, well-known players, you have to decide if you really want to do this or not. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer.

"Fans are looking for all kinds of things today, and even when you don't sell these things yourself, you see a lot of black-market stuff out there. All of us, institutionally, have to decide, what is our philosophy going to be?"

In terms of sheer numbers, USC's Eskenazi said, nobody has jumped in like the Trojans, who plan to eventually auction off about 250 game-worn jerseys. If they can fetch an average of $500 per jersey  a realistic goal, Eskenazi said  that would net them $125,000, enough to fund three scholarships and all of it profit because the jerseys were given to them by Nike as part of an apparel deal.

Typically, Eskenazi said, the Trojans use their jerseys until they're practically threadbare. But after Nike supplied them with new uniforms this season, they had a surplus of game-worn jerseys still in good condition. The school started putting them up for auction, a few at a time, over the summer.

"Either we throw them away," Eskenazi said, "or use them for fund-raising."

And as USC has found, one man's trash is another man's collectible.

USC REPORT

Jarrett Could Be Out 2-4 Weeks

By Gary Klein, Times Staff Writer

September 25, 2006

All-American split end Dwayne Jarrett is doubtful to play against Washington State and could sit out two to four weeks because of a shoulder injury suffered against Arizona, USC Coach Pete Carroll said Sunday.

"It depends on how he responds in the next few days," Carroll said. "Knowing what kind of competitor he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's moving around and trying to go."

ADVERTISEMENT

Jarrett sprained his left shoulder after making a diving attempt to catch a pass during the Trojans' 20-3 victory at Tucson on Saturday. The 6-foot-5 junior stayed in the game, and in the third quarter tied the Pacific 10 Conference career record with his 32nd touchdown reception, which gave the Trojans a 10-0 lead. Jarrett was taken to the locker room shortly afterward and did not return to the game.

X-rays Sunday revealed no further damage, Carroll said.

Sophomore Patrick Turner, senior Chris McFoy and freshman Vidal Hazelton are expected to step up in Jarrett's absence, Carroll said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Stanley Havili out for possibly six weeks because of a broken leg, senior Mike Brittingham is on track to start at fullback on Saturday at Washington State.

Fourth-year junior Jody Adewale will back up Brittingham.

After senior Ryan Powdrell suffered a season-ending injury against Nebraska, Luthur Brown practiced a little more than a day at fullback but returned to defense. Carroll said Brown's status and other possible moves would be discussed among coaches today.

"We might not know anything till Tuesday," he said.

Early last week, freshman Allen Bradford was quoted in a published report as saying he would not move from tailback to fullback.

Bradford had been switched from safety to tailback during training camp.

Carroll said Sunday that coaches had not discussed a move to fullback with Bradford or freshman tailback Stafon Johnson.

Late last week, Bradford said, "I just don't see myself there, playing fullback." He also said he was unaware that Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Allen went through several position switches before he became USC's primary ballcarrier in the early 1980s.

Allen arrived at USC after playing quarterback and defensive back in high school in San Diego. He moved to tailback as a freshman in 1978, but Coach John Robinson switched him to fullback in 1979.

Allen blocked for Heisman Trophy winner Charles White, rushed for 649 yards and caught 22 passes for 314 yards during his sophomore year. In 1980 he returned to tailback. The next year he won the Heisman.

When informed of Allen's career path at USC, Bradford said, "That's crazy. I had no clue about that."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USC's experience with instant replay during the victory over Arizona, and the delay it caused, did nothing to make Carroll a fan of the system.

Replay officials disallowed two receptions by flanker Steve Smith, including an apparent touchdown, after review. An Arizona receiver who was initially ruled out of bounds while making a catch was credited with a reception after review.

"It really is disruptive to the game," Carroll said.

USC remained third in the Associated Press media poll, second in the coaches' poll and was ranked second in the first Harris Interactive poll…. Arizona's 44 plays were the fewest against USC since Pittsburgh had 34 in 1974, according to a USC athletic department spokesman.

usc has recruited depth so they will not miss a beat

they do not have stiff walkons #3 on depth chart

USC REPORT

Finally, Washington Looks Ready to Roll

By Gary Klein, Times Staff Writer

September 27, 2006

Freshman tailback Emmanuel Moody showed last week that he could be the breakaway threat USC has been searching for.

But the Trojans are still waiting for a player to fill the big-back role that LenDale White made his own for three seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Chauncey Washington finally appears ready to assume the role.

"It was the best day yet for Chauncey, by far," Coach Pete Carroll said after practice on Tuesday. "It was the fastest he's been."

Washington, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound fourth-year junior, has been slowed by hamstring problems and recent family issues. Last week, Washington's grandmother suffered a stroke and a cousin was shot to death. With a heavy heart, Washington rushed for 33 yards in 10 carries against Arizona.

Washington said he would attend his cousin's funeral on Thursday but would be ready for Saturday's game at Washington State.

On Tuesday, Washington worked out in the morning to improve his conditioning and burst.

"I have to get my endurance up," he said before the afternoon practice. "The leg is not hurting anymore. Now I can get it stronger."

The sooner the better, according to Carroll.

"It's really important for Chauncey to come back and be a big factor," he said. "When we have been at our best offensively, we have always had an aggressive running tailback, a guy that can bring it downhill."

All-American receiver Dwayne Jarrett did not work out because of a shoulder sprain but said he would practice today or Thursday if cleared by doctors and would try to play against Washington State.

Jarrett injured his left shoulder in the third quarter against Arizona during the series he concluded with a three-yard touchdown catch.

"I felt something pull and pop," he said. "I'm just trying to stay positive right now and take it day to day."

Senior Mike Brittingham will start at fullback for the first time and his backup also will be making a debut of sorts.

Fourth-year junior Jody Adewale is expected to play significant snaps for the first time.

"He's been with us awhile and knows the system and is a real good receiver," Carroll said. "He's done well all the time. Now it's his turn."

Adewale, a Roosevelt High graduate, has played mainly on special teams but is prepared for the opportunity in the backfield.

"I'm ready to do whatever they need me to do," he said.

Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga wore a pad and protective sleeve on his right shin because of soreness from being kicked against Arizona. The sophomore has started only twice, but that apparently was enough for Washington State Coach Bill Doba. "Maualuga has my vote for All-American right now," Doba said…. Cornerback Kevin Thomas (ankle) said he had an MRI exam on Monday and was cleared to practice today…. Cornerback Terrell Thomas also had an MRI exam of his sore left shoulder and was scheduled to meet with doctors Tuesday night. Thomas said he would play against Washington State…. Receiver Travon Patterson did not practice because of concussive symptoms that followed a collision in practice on Monday, according to Carroll…. Nose tackle Sedrick Ellis (knee) did some individual work with trainers and might practice in team drills next week.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

You need to pay more attention to USF athletics.

;)

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Seriously.

If Steve spent 1/100th of the time he spends on USC being positive about USF...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

I have bought things USF auctions ... would like jerseys to be done though(my wallet wouldn't though).

Go BULLS !!!