• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt blames bad info for call

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

Amazing that this hasn't been brought it up yet ....... Another thing to ***** and moan about ..... Some of you are dropping the ball here.

Leavitt blames bad info for call

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published September 25, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Coach Jim Leavitt said his decision to go for it Saturday on fourth and 2 from the Kansas 3-yard line on the Bulls' opening possession - they came up a yard short in a 13-7 loss - was the result of a bad spot from his assistants in the press box.

"I was told it was less than a yard. I noticed (in watching tape) that it was more," Leavitt said Sunday. "I would only go for it if we had less than a yard to go. I have to rely on what they tell me."

The Bulls have two offensive assistants who watch from the press box: offensive coordinator Rod Smith and tight ends coach Greg Gregory.

And after watching tape, Leavitt said he had no complaint about an offensive pass interference call against tight end Devin Gordon that negated a 46-yard play as the Bulls were driving in the fourth quarter.

"I think he picked him," Leavitt said of Gordon's contact with a Kansas linebacker.

Leavitt said he did believe running back Walt Smith's knee was down before he fumbled in the fourth quarter, but the game was close enough that he did not want to burn a timeout in the hope that the play would be reviewed.

"That hurt us real bad," said Leavitt, who added he will not shift any other players to running back, even though three running backs combined for 15 yards on eight carries and had zero catches Saturday.

UP AHEAD: The Bulls have a short week to prepare for Friday night's Big East opener at home against Rutgers, which is 4-0 and ranked No. 23, having moved Sunday into the AP Top 25 for the first time since 1976.

Rutgers sophomore Ray Rice is fourth in the nation with 604 rushing yards and tied for third with nine rushing touchdowns. In their past two games, the Bulls have allowed Central Florida's Jason Peters to rush for 98 yards and Kansas' Jon Cornish to rush for 105, so improving their run defense will be a key against the Scarlet Knights.

The Bulls likely will go this week without defensive tackle Richard Clebert, who did not travel with the team to Kansas because of a groin injury. Leavitt would only say that Clebert remains out for a while, further thinning a defensive line that already had depth concerns.

GETTING TOUGHER: Although Rutgers and USF are a combined 7-1, neither has faced much tough competition in the past month. Their wins are against teams with a combined 1-17 record against I-A opponents this season.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/25/Sports/Leavitt_blames_bad_in.shtml

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698
  • Days Won:  0

I read that in the paper today, sounds like he is putting it on Rod Smith. I was kinda surpised that we wouldn't just take the points that early, its not like we needed the 7...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations-- if we get the first or better yet a TD, he's a genius. If we fail to make a first down, he's an idiot for not taking the points.

Anyway-- I'm proud of the way the Bulls fought. They came up a little short. The effort was there but we just didn't get the job done. Life will go on.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations-- if we get the first or better yet a TD, he's a genius. If we fail to make a first down, he's an idiot for not taking the points.

Anyway-- I'm proud of the way the Bulls fought. They came up a little short. The effort was there but we just didn't get the job done. Life will go on.

i admire leavitt for admitting his crew's incompetence

but the call is an easy one

you kick the field goal. a no brainer.he is an idiot.

than once the decison was made to go for it they run up the middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never once in 4 downs did usf go for a td.

you sound like ftu/oc/ou fans.there are no moral victories

after this article i am more convinced than ever these guys are d2 coaches dressed up like d1a coaches

usf deserves more competent coaches

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Whats so wrong about going for the TD? He thought he needed half a yard. If they stop you they have to go 98 yards to score. HE tried to take the momentum and with bad info and bad playcall they got stopped. Could happen to any team.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

yes life will go on our bulls will go on so will the line of people on their way up to the sky way please turn around and go home THE SEASON IS NOT OVER IT AINT OVER TILL THE FAT LADY SINGS

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not disappointed with the decision to go for it, but rather the play call.  

Kansas was stacking the line and was ready for the QB sneak.  We ALWAYS sneak in those situations and Kansas was ready for it.  

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  286

i admire leavitt for admitting his crew's incompetence

but the call is an easy one

you kick the field goal. a no brainer.he is an idiot.

than once the decison was made to go for it they run up the middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never once in 4 downs did usf go for a td.

you sound like ftu/oc/ou fans.there are no moral victories

after this article i am more convinced than ever these guys are d2 coaches dressed up like d1a coaches

usf deserves more competent coaches

I'm starting too buy your message.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

yeah...while grothe is a good runner he is small so a sneak will not get very far...bad play call IMO