• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cards lose another player

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Cards will be without Council

By Brian Bennett

bbennett@courier-journal.com

The Courier-Journal

PHILADELPHIA -- Another dominating win, another devastating injury for the University of Louisville football team.

The Cardinals lost running back Michael Bush for the season and defensive tackle Adrian Grady for up to four weeks when both players suffered broken legs in the 59-28 opening win over the University of Kentucky. In yesterday's 62-0 beating of Temple, they lost starting cornerback Rod Council, who broke his left ankle and is expected to miss at least a month.

Council was considered the team's best cover corner, and he also plays a vital role on special teams.

"We can't lose any more," head coach Bobby Petrino said. "I don't know what's going on. We've been healthy most of the time since I've been here, knock on wood."

U of L will try to replace Council with a combination of Gavin Smart, Bobby Buchanan and Travis Norton.

Strong game for Spencer

Sergio Spencer played with Bush at Male High School, and he said the two talk every day. Bush's advice to Spencer last week was simple: Keep doing what you're doing and be ready for your opportunity.

Spencer got that chance and rushed for 72 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries. The sophomore had 39 career yards on 12 carries before yesterday.

"It felt great," he said. "I just wanted to keep going out there, keep playing and keep scoring."

Brohm sweats it out

Junior quarterback Brian Brohm threw for 307 yards, but he misfired on several passes. He overthrew 6-foot-6 receiver Mario Urrutia several times and tossed an interception that bounced off Urrutia's knee.

Brohm and Petrino blamed his struggles on sweaty hands.

"I sweat a lot. I'm a sweat hog," said Brohm, who completed 16 of 29 throws. "On those longer drives, my hands were getting wet and slipping, and that led to some errant throws."

Carmody's personal best

Though it meant next to nothing, Art Carmody jumped for joy when he kicked a 51-yard field goal with 5:12 left to cap the scoring. His previous best was a 47-yarder against Pittsburgh last year.

"I hit it solid, and then I looked up and saw it going right down the middle," Carmody said. "It hit a little wind, and I was like, 'Sneak on in there, buddy.' I was pumped, I'm not going to lie."

Extra points

Senior William Gay grabbed the team's first interception and his first since he was a freshman.

Not everybody was happy with Petrino going for it on fourth down and calling timeout in the final minute of the first half, setting up the score that made it 42-0.

An unidentified person asked Petrino in his postgame news conference why he didn't onside kick with nine seconds left in the half. U of L football spokesman Rocco Gasparro quickly said, "Next question."

Brian Bennett can be reached at (502) 582-7177.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Broken ankle...miss 4 weeks...medicine has advance much.  Wow!