• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SPT: QB's quick arrival not a moment too soon for

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

QB's quick arrival not a moment too soon for USF

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published September 7, 2006

TAMPA - It was only a 6-yard pass, not even good for a first down, but the play brought a surprising, resounding cheer from the crowd at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday night.

Even before he had rallied the Bulls to a 41-10 victory against McNeese State, USF fans recognized that Matt Grothe had arrived.

For a football program that has struggled to find a star quarterback since Marquel Blackwell in 2002, the redshirt freshman had represented hope for the future. And after Saturday's debut - with two passing touchdowns, one rushing score and a 6-for-6 second half - he has quickly become USF's present, a new source of excitement since being named the starting quarterback Monday.

"I really didn't think much about it. Just happy," said Grothe, a softspoken 19-year-old with short-cropped black hair, whose aw-shucks calm belies a competitive drive. "I don't think I played as good as everybody said I did. I can definitely get better."

More: http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/07/Sports/QB_s_quick_arrival_no.shtml

Great story, thanks Greg.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Thanks. If you saw today's paper, I'll apologize for the mug shot on the front page. I had specifically gotten a new mug of Grothe from USF yesterday, in that last year's was taken literally the week the freshmen had their heads shaved. Wanted a more current mug for him -- if you've met me, you know I'm all about keeping pictures of guys with no hair out of the paper when possible. But we used last year's mug, so fans will think Grothe's head is shaved. I'll get an update in on the blog later today ...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Thanks for the article, it was a great read. What I keep reading is how confident the other players are in Matt. IMO that goes a very long way in how a team plays. The team must have confidence in the QB.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

great story Greg

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

NEED TO KEEP HIM HEALTHY!  I DO NOT want to see PJ in there again.  I don't think he played horribly on Sat however you saw the team, and crowd react to Grothe.  It was night and day.  I'm afraind PJ's bad luck/poor performances have become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

It was easy to see the way the team responded to the QB change.  The team played better on both sides of the ball.  I saw it Saturday noght at Ray Jay and then on CH 47 3 times so far ;D