• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Solomon Jones Selected By Atlanta In NBA Draft

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

USF MEN’S BASKETBALL

JONES SELECTED BY ATLANTA HAWKS IN 2006 NBA DRAFT

FORMER CENTER HIGHEST PLAYER DRAFTED IN SCHOOL HISTORY

TAMPA, Fla. (June 28, 2006) – Former University of South Florida men’s basketball player Solomon Jones was selected 33rd overall by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2006 National Basketball Association Draft Wednesday night on a national television broadcast.  

With the selection, Jones became the highest-ever drafted Bull and the first in 20 years.

Jones’ name was announced at Madison Square Garden by NBA Deputy Commissioner Russ Granik as the third pick in the second of two rounds and 33rd overall.  He was the third-straight BIG EAST player selected and one of 11 overall.  Jones had been projected as either a late first round selection or second round pick.

“We are extremely excited for Solomon,” USF head coach Robert McCullum said.  “He has worked extremely hard to add strength and weight and has overcome a lot of doubters with his ability.  I hope his selection being as high as it was speaks to player development at the collegiate level and its ability to prepare players for a professional career.”

Jones (6-10, 230) is the first USF player selected in the draft since Curtis Kitchen in 1986, who was selected by Seattle in the sixth round.  

The Mount Dora, Fla., native was a two-year letterwinner (2004-05 and 2005-06) for the Bulls after transferring from Daytona Beach CC.  He earned Honorable Mention All-BIG EAST accolades as a senior after finishing among the league leaders in rebounding and blocked shots.  Jones concluded the year averaging 13.2 points per game and 9.8 boards per game and blocked 90 shots.

Should Jones earn a spot on the regular season roster, he would be one of two former USF players currently playing in the NBA.  Chucky Atkins (1993-96) currently owns a seven-year NBA career, having most-recently played for the Memphis Grizzlies during the 2005-06 campaign.

USF Draft Picks

Player                          Year                 Team                           Round

Solomon Jones              2006                 Atlanta                          2nd

Curtis Kitchen                1986                 Seattle                          6th

Charlie Bradley              1985                 Sacramento                   3rd

Jim Grandholm              1984                 Washington                   4th

Vince Reynolds             1982                 Cleveland                      6th

Tony Grier                     1982                 San Antonio                  4th

Willie Redden                1982                 San Antonio                  3rd

Hey Tony...are you going to add another chapter to

header.gif

Another memorable moment for the program..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

It could not have happened to a better young man. I spent some time with him in Orlando at the pre-draft camp. Had he gone in the "first round" I would not have been surprised.

You don't find players like Solomon everyday. The NBA knew that  right away. "Nique" will look out for him in Atlanta. I wish him the best!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

Here is hoping that Solomon Jones will show all his talent and skills as he continues to develop. Nothing but the best to him!!!

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I know 2nd round players arent guaranteed a spot on the team, but does he at least get some sort of compensation or signing bonus for being drafted?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

good luck to solomon he should be able to get some playing time with atlanta they are in need of big men

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

lets hope its not another 20 year untill we see another bull go in the draft

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

lets hope its not another 20 year untill we see another bull go in the draft

I have a good feeling that won't be the case.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Congratulations, Sol....you'll be missed around here!  Come back often!

It could not have happened to a better young man. I spent some time with him in Orlando at the pre-draft camp. Had he gone in the "first round" I would not have been surprised.

You don't find players like Solomon everyday. The NBA knew that  right away. "Nique" will look out for him in Atlanta. I wish him the best!

Of course this is famed Bulls player Tony Grier, himself an NBA Draft Pick (4th round - Spurs/1982).