• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

World Cup is here!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

I have nothing against soccer, but i don't feel it will ever be bigger than any of the big 4 sports in america.  Hockey was at its lowest ever after the lockout, and I'd bet it still blew soccer out of the water as far as popularity in the USA.  

Now in the entire world... soccer wins hands down.  It is a fun game to play and watch, but as long as kids games are "for fun only" and don't keep score, most kids won't play soccer because it is exciting, but rather because their parents want them to exercise.  I will never understand how people can organize a soccer league for kids and then not keep track of scores.   "We are all winners, Johnny"

"But Dad, we lost by 10"   "There are no losers Johnny"

Its scary to think what all this politically correct crap is doing to the kids self esteem.  I can't see how it could really help.

Sorry for the change of subject.

Thanks for your reasons.

As a youth I never played in a league that did not keep score.  Whether it was baseball, soccer, basketball, etc the score was always kept and their was indeed a winner.  If there are leagues where the score is not kept than I think that is pretty stupid.  Obviously you want to develop things such as teamwork and good sportsmanship among the youth, but the point is to win.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

100% agreed.  People need to learn how to lose as well.  How to take a loss and make it into motivation to try that much harder.

Exercise is good, but sports are meant to be won and lost.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I have nothing against soccer, but i don't feel it will ever be bigger than any of the big 4 sports in america.  Hockey was at its lowest ever after the lockout, and I'd bet it still blew soccer out of the water as far as popularity in the USA.  

Now in the entire world... soccer wins hands down.  It is a fun game to play and watch, but as long as kids games are "for fun only" and don't keep score, most kids won't play soccer because it is exciting, but rather because their parents want them to exercise.  I will never understand how people can organize a soccer league for kids and then not keep track of scores.   "We are all winners, Johnny"

"But Dad, we lost by 10"   "There are no losers Johnny"

Its scary to think what all this politically correct crap is doing to the kids self esteem.  I can't see how it could really help.

Sorry for the change of subject.

Thanks for your reasons.

As a youth I never played in a league that did not keep score.  Whether it was baseball, soccer, basketball, etc the score was always kept and their was indeed a winner.  If there are leagues where the score is not kept than I think that is pretty stupid.  Obviously you want to develop things such as teamwork and good sportsmanship among the youth, but the point is to win.

Well, I'm a coach in one of those "stupid" leagues that doesn't keep score and think it's a great idea ..... up to a certain age. There's no way you need to have U-6, possibly up to U-8, keep score... unless you're in a strictly competitive league. Personally, I think it's got nothing to do with being PC to the kids and is more for the so-called "adults"/coaches. Whether you officially keep score or not, the kids know it and pretty much don't care at that age.

And kids don't play soccer because their parents want them to exercise, they play because it's the easiest/simplest of the organized sports at that age and they just want to have fun, run around and kick the ball.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743

But anyways....the world cup is here and England march on to the second round!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

But anyways....the world cup is here and England march on to the second round!!!

I have to admit that I was stunned when I heard that England has won only one more World Cup than the US ...... That can't be right, can it??

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Huge game on Saturday....

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  743

I have to admit that I was stunned when I heard that England has won only one more World Cup than the US ...... That can't be right, can it??

We didnt play in the first few (back before WW2, when you reached the Semifinal) just plainly because we didnt need to play cause we invented the game and therefore didn't need to play to prove we were the best! lol...

But it is only played every 4 years...and there can only be one winner...and we were robbed in 1970 and 1990...oh and 1986...Maradona's 'Hand of god'

But depending on the results we could be playing Germany in Munich next saturday...now that will be a game worth watching!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10

greetings from germany.  tough game for us against czech but there should be about 10,000 of us at the game against itlay.  for all of you who dont like soccer, come watch one real game and it will turn u into a fan.  i have been to a superbowl and the world cup, and the cup is fifty times better watch because of the atmosphere.

go bulls

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Ghana just obliterated Czech Republic, 2-0 does not do justice for the way Ghana dominated, very easily could have been 4 or 5 to 0

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Ghana just obliterated Czech Republic, 2-0 does not do justice for the way Ghana dominated, very easily could have been 4 or 5 to 0

The US has a great chance now. We have to win against Italy now.

Imagine this... if we win today and against Ghana (the Czech played horrible) and if Czech Republic and Italy tie next game... we will end up in first place. Still a ways to go... but the Ghana victory just opened the gates for the US.