• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Stays Loose While Making History

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

USF Stays Loose While Making History

By MARTIN FENNELLY

Published: May 24, 2006

"It doesn't get any better," the coach said. "Best in the East against best in the West. It's great softball."

And that wasn't the softball coach.

No, that was South Florida football coach Jim Leavitt, in full fever. Leavitt pointed to the USF softball fields on Tuesday.

"They're going places."

Los Angeles, for one. Ken Eriksen's softball program is the pride of USF. Fresh off a regional win in Gainesville, the Bulls will go west to make history this weekend with their first Sweet 16 appearance. They're just two wins from their first Women's College World Series. Now, to the problem, the opponent in the best-of-three super regional.

Top-ranked UCLA. At UCLA. Home to 11 national softball titles.

"I don't think there are enough days to watch 'Hoosiers' or 'Miracle' enough times," Eriksen said. "I guess we'll just roll in and play."

He's got the crew for it.

What, Them Worry?

Not to say this gang is carefree, but take their return to Tampa on Sunday night after advancing. Eriksen dashed for the TV in the locker room to watch the UCLA-San Diego State game, the winner to get USF. His players sat with him. For a while.

"Third inning, I look around and they're gone," Eriksen said. "UCLA, San Diego State, whatever. This is a loose bunch."

In 10 years under Eriksen, USF softball bunches have been loose enough, and good enough, to make seven NCAA tournaments, including the past four. This particular bunch has 50 wins.

The Bulls already have faced two No. 1s this season, Arizona and Tennessee. Granted, USF lost those games. Badly. And USF is 0-7 against UCLA. Who cares? No disrespect, but the Bulls think they can win in L.A. And even squeeze in some sightseeing.

"Like the Hollywood sign," outfielder Tiffany Stewart said.

"Or any celebrity," outfielder Samantha Ray said.

Uh, about UCLA ...

"Of course they matter," freshman pitcher Cristi Ecks said. "They're the best team we can play right now. But that doesn't mean we can't beat them."

What, them worry?

"I'd like to see Rodeo Drive," Ecks said. "I like the whole 'Pretty Woman' thing. The best is Julia Roberts going in the store that turned her down and she says, 'Big Mistake.' I loved that."

2 Wins Is The Ticket

You've got the wrong bunch if you want knocking knees.

Eriksen's team won't back down.

Which reminds us: Ecks, whose right arm led the team with 24 wins and 224 strikeouts, is from Manassas, Va., home of two famous Civil War battles, First and Second Manassas or ... Bull Run.

How about third baseman Krista Holle at the regional? The team's best hitter fouled one off her left eye in one game, good for a mild concussion. The next day, in the clincher against Florida Atlantic, Holle was spiked in the right ankle. Lots of blood. She also drove in two big runs. That's how it is with this bunch. They come to get it done.

Know what they really want to see in L.A.?

"Two wins," Tiffany Stewart said.

Then again, there's pesky UCLA.

"I'll do a Gene Hackman in 'Hoosiers,'" Ken Eriksen said. "Get a tape measure. It's still 60 feet to first base, 43 feet to the mound ..."

"We're not going to give up," Ecks said. "UCLA knows that."

And if they don't?

Big mistake.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBCJEP3LNE.html

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

0-7 against UCLA, just means that they are due to beat them.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Absolutely.  There is no better time to end that streak!  Go Bulls!

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

A real travesty that this guy doesn't get paid the money he deserves.  He has a dog crap stadium and gets paid dimes on the dollar and delivers.  Maybe Mac could put his ego aside and learn a thing or two from Ken.

It just pains me how little this guy makes and how awful his facilities are.  If i had some spare loot -- i shall donate it to the softball and soccer program.  

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

gotta love a team thats not afaird to play ucla, go bulls beat the bruins

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  443

cant wait for the game and the party...the ladies will shine..BULL PRIDE...GO BULLS

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Fennelly knows some history about the great city of Manassas, Virginia. And to think I thought he would mention John and Lorena Bobbit before the Battle of Bull Run... that guy must be old school.

Give 'em hell Cristi!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf is in perfect position for the upset