• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Performance of the spring game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I know we threw points on the board....

Exactly..Now how did we do last spring? Below average I would say.

Our result.. 6-6 (Pretty hard schedule)

This spring (above average - according to how people viewed the spring game, including myself)

This year we have an easier schedule (I hope the majority here would agree with this) and our result:

Much better than last year...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If your gonnna base the season on the POINTS scored in the Spring Game you have problems.

I have heard from reliable people that the offense looked aweful. players looked lost and there was no definitive playmaker out there. Top that with the fact that our defense played soft coverages I am VERY WORRIED about this team on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. I think you might be looking at one of the worst offenses in the 6 major conferences. We have TWO starters set in stone.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

^^^^ I'm not basing it to the amount of points scored but to the fact that we look much better than last spring (actually performed better). I don't see how people that actually saw the game would consider this to the same level as last spring.

Your reliable people may have fallen asleep or were watching re-runs of last years spring game.  If someone really said that the players looked lost out there, then they have the problem.

Four int's--->> soft coverage alright

USFan,

1st - Spring games are always played for the offensive side over the defensive side. Basic defenses are ran and blitzes are seldomly used (I heard we did not blitz much, the play by play didn't really mention it)...SANJAY wrote this in another thread

Defense was basic all night.

Just because a defense is basic or soft coverage, doesn't mean they don't play defense at all!

2nd - My best friend, who was at the game and is an assistant HS coach in North Florida (went to USF after playing 2 years of Juco in Kansas), told me the coaches put on as he would describe "a game for the fans" He said there were several trick plays and passes (which is usually done b/c you really don't wanna run a RB when it doesn't count).

His assessment, the Oline was still missing blocks it was last year. The best looking QB was PJ, although he thinks Grothe will be very good once he gets some real game action under him and can put some weight on. He thinks both RBs will be fine, the oline might cause running game issues. Especially if teams play the 8 in the box that many teams frustrated us with the 2nd half of the season. The defense played great running the basic plays and he thinks that teams are going to have a VERY hard time scoring on us with the front 7 playing on all cylinders.

I am basing my projections on the offense, we're minus Hall and don't have a proven QB or Oline. Could that change, yes, but with the offense the way it is I only see us with 7 wins. The defense cannot do everything.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

If your gonnna base the season on the POINTS scored in the Spring Game you have problems.

I have heard from reliable people that the offense looked aweful. players looked lost and there was no definitive playmaker out there. Top that with the fact that our defense played soft coverages I am VERY WORRIED about this team on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. I think you might be looking at one of the worst offenses in the 6 major conferences. We have TWO starters set in stone.

The very fact that your "realiable people" didn't consider Amp Hill a "definitive playmaker" last night taints their opinion ........ and considering the state of our offense last year, only having TWO starters set in stone is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Mind you Joe really loves the Gators. With that said if da bulls can not find someone to snap the ball better than what I saw last night we have issues. qb is cloudy, it pains me to say Julmiss-me looked the best, Grotheeeeee showed some skills for sure. We will win more than 7. I guarantee it.......................................... :o  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

With that said if da bulls can not find someone to snap the ball better than what I saw last night we have issues.

Or punt the ball better ......... I'm hoping the starting center was playing for the White team. One thing that kept the Green team off balance most of the night was the qb having to compensate for a low snap.

Oh and might I add since I love the Gators, my complete analysis of the Spring game that I stayed in on a Saturday night to listen to, the fact that I know most of the players and recruits, and the fact that you agreed with what my friend and I about the QB and Oline must be wrong.

If I weren't mistaken your a UCF fan jg....

All I said is with what I've heard and read and seen from what is left from last years team in games, I cannot see THAT much of an improvement without Hall. Finally, the fact that we play EVERY big game on the road (UCF, Kansas, UNC, WVU, and Louisville).

I've backed myself up well and have said that in August this could change if the offense shows me something.

Trip,

I think Amp Hill is going to be the best WR ever to play at USF. I only reason I've been short to call him a definitive playmaker was the fact that he

a) hasn't stayed healthy in a long time

B) doesn't have a consistent passer yet

I remember seeing him come out in high school. USF has someone really special if he pans out.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

[

If I weren't mistaken your a UCF fan jg....

No you are mistaken. I actually go to all the games. I will fight with UCF fans that is about it.