• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gotta ask: Are we still staring at a (?) for QB?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Hope is eternal but reality hurts sometimes:

Are we going to be all right at QB?

We would have gone bowling last year...

The staff tried really hard to bring in a stud QB...

It's the same pot of stew as last year: Do we have a QB to take us bowling?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Don't really know. As Julmiste is tagged as a starter, today it looked like Kraky/Banks duking it out for the #2 spot.  Then again...all it takes is a wrecked knee or ripped shoulder, and all of a sudden #2 or #3 is now your starter. I just didn't see anything today that set the world on fire. 8)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

julmiste will be fine

coaches tried to get a top QB

if julmiste works out we don't need a stud Qb for 2 years

wait until this year recruits are added to mix

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

No clear QB yet IMHO, the D was able to see Banks targets pretty well and react accordingly.   He did run a couple times.  There is definitely some new fresh talent elsewhere in the offense.  

I watched the other QBs as well, no one came away cleanly; however, the tag the QB thing was smart as we do not need any injuries.   Someone will need to keep eyes on the practices as we head for the fall and see how things look.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

The biggest impression I got today was that the players exhibiting the best "hands" were the qb's tracking down some high, wide snaps ............ Dawsey has his work cut out for him .........

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

I was there and here is some thoughts.

1) Our offense sucks or our defense is great!?!

2) WOW, did our QB miss open recievers.

3) Balls thrown to recievers that are going to get our recievers KILLED!

4) I miss Marquel.

5) Julmiste best connection was to a linebacker.

6) I am normally very positive. But, if our defense is that good then WOW!

7) Crowd was ver quite. Attendance? Numbers?

Hopefully CJL & Smith wil get it corrected. I wish we could have gotten a "top tier QB" in this years class as unless someone steps it up, this problem will carry on into our entry into the Big East.

Bowl this year? very questionable.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Also ... evaluating QB's ... they were put 2gether with draft ... it should be better with a unit that's worked 2gether ... still concerned though.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Nice to hear Kraky is mobile, after the (ankle?) problems he's had over the past year.

It sounded during the recruiting/signing process like Gachette is more of a backup-type QB, not the guy you want to hang your "bowl hopes" hat on. I guess anything could happen, though...

Guest S. Bien

One other thing.  Part of the problem with the QB is how we select our teams for the spring game.  I don't necessarily agree with it because we use a draft and each team rotates who picks first at each position.  The problem you encounter is that the QB's do not get to run with the entire first team.  They are put out there with a mish mash of players, and since our offense has always been more shallow talent wise than our defense it usually means our offensive output during the spring games has been poor, even during Blackwell's tenure.

I don't necessary agree with it.  I prefer the #1 Offense teams with the #2 defense, and the #1 defense teams with the #2 offense.  This insures the first teams work together, and gain continuity and comfort with each other in a game style scrimmage.  It also gives the #2 players opportunities to shine.   If a player shines on #2 in the first half they then move to #1 in the second.  This is how many teams do it, and how I would prefer it.  With our method often times the #1 QB is throwing to a 2nd or 3rd string WR that is starting on his team.  That leads to bad timing, and often times drops or inconsistencies that stall many drives.

Not to make excuses for the QB's, but that hurts.  This style rarely hurts our defense because Leavitt has always made sure his defense is very deep.  This defense is very talent in the front seven, real talented, and behind that we have lots of athletes that must step up!

Just something to think about.  This method has always made our spring games look sloppy, and the play inconsistent on offense.  We need more receivers to make catches, and we need a RB to step up in the fall.

Also, it didn't help that Sarosi, Miller, and Davis were not on the OL today.  Also, we didn't have a few other key players on the two deep that are nursing injuries.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I think most of us "today" realize it was "practice" and actually hearing Leavitt happy puts me at ease.

Agree Steve regarding units matching up versus the "draft"

Go BULLS !!!