• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Drops Final Game of Stetson Invitational, 7-2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

USF Drops Final Game of Stetson Invitational, 7-2

DeLAND, Fla. (Sunday, Feb. 26) – A five-run fourth inning by Stetson was the difference as the University of South Florida baseball team (4-6) fell to the Hatters (5-6), 7-2, on Sunday, Feb. 26 at Melching Field during the final day of the Stetson Invitational.

Joey Angelberger and Nick Cardieri both went 2-for-4 on the afternoon, leading USF to nine hits versus the Hatters. Angelberger, who hit .357 on the weekend, recorded his third RBI of the tournament during Sunday’s outing. Cardieri recorded his fourth double while registering his team-best sixth RBI on the season.

Nick Manganaro made his second start of the season. The junior left-hander suffered the loss, allowing six runs on 10 hits in three and one-third innings of action. Yuri Higgins and Davis Bilardello came in for relief of Manganaro, allowing a combined one run on two hits while striking out four in four innings. Higgins, who was celebrating his birthday, struck out three in three and two-thirds of scoreless baseball.

Stetson’s Corey Kluber was credited with the win, going seven innings while allowing no runs on six hits and striking out 10 USF batters.

Close through the first three innings, Stetson threatened in the bottom of the second producing runners on first and third and one outs. Manganaro got first baseman Chris Johnson to ground into a double play to end the inning and keep the score knotted at 0-0. The Hatters scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the second on an-RBI single by Brandon Paritz. With the bases loaded, Paritz hit a single to left field, scoring the runner from third. Attempting to make the score 2-0, Stetson sent the runner on second home on the hit. However, Joey Angelberger threw him out from right field to end the inning.  

Stetson gained a comfortable lead in the bottom of the fourth, scoring five runs on six hits during the inning. The five-run fourth inning made the score 6-0 in favor of Stetson. The Hatters tacked on a run in the bottom of the eighth to take a 7-0 lead, heading into the ninth inning.  

USF rallied, scoring two runs in the top of the ninth. With runners on first and second, Cardieri crushed a double to right-center field, scoring James Rowe from second and giving the Bulls their first run of the contest. Angelberger added a second run later that inning, driving in Dexter Butler from third. The Bulls’ rally fell short as USF lost its first contest of the Stetson Invitational, 7-2.

With the loss, USF finished the weekend 2-1.

USF will host the Illinois Fighting Illini in a three-game series March 3-5. The first game of the weekend series will take place on Friday, March 3. Game time is 7 p.m.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

FLORIDA  teams have usf's number

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Steson is a much better baseball program than USF, they are probably 4th best in the State on many given years.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  192
  • Days Won:  0

Steson is a much better baseball program than USF, they are probably 4th best in the State on many given years.

Joe your wrong.  Stetson holds a 71-67 advantage all time in the series.  Much better program ?  Last time I checked % wise that is pretty even buddy.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They've also been to the NCAA's 5 of the last 6 years...

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

JG....that stat alone is meaningless.  Can you pull up records in the last 5 years? 10?

Stetson's been very good, peaking along with UCF in 2001 (#8, #9 in the nation).  Of late, I'd say FAU had risen to the 4th best team over UCF and FAU.  It was pretty easy to compare when UCF/FAU/Stetson/JU were in the same conference.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  192

He said much a better program.  I would say only those other 3 schools could say that.  Nobody else has gone to the CWS. When you go to the big show is when you can talk in my mind.  I would lump all the other teams together in the state. Competitive and quality programs.

Except if you are FSU and whiny Mike Martin and choke every year.  That guy is the biggest little cry baby ***** I have ever seen.  To have some of the best teams year in and out and choke is so classic. I enjoy it so much.  

I just hope the Bulls make a statement in the Big East this year. If they do not finish in the top three that would be disappointing.