• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What came first?

Guest rueben_horowitz

Guest rueben_horowitz

Curling or that bar game that resembles it?

When I watch curling, I'm convinced I blew my shot at a gold medal. Herm, Ari, and myself could have gone for the gold.

Think about it. If you had access to the facilities; you and a few buddies could practice throughout your teens and challenge the three other US curli (sp?) for a chance to represent the USA. Plus, the USA womens' curling team has some hot sisters on it.

Or the skeleton...that is awesome. No brakes, no steering. Just head first 80mph on the bobsled track. You pick a line to start, and you either win, or you lose. Great sport.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

When I watch curling, I'm convinced I blew my shot at a gold medal. Herm, Ari, and myself could have gone for the gold.

But you need at least 2 people to have a team  ;)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Curling or that bar game that resembles it?

Are you talking about shuffleboard?

Guest rueben_Horowitz

Are you talking about shuffleboard?

No, not shuffle board.

It's an old school game you'd see in an old bar, don't know the name. It's like that old bowling games that you used to use a puck.

They also have it as one of the 10 choices of video games on those touch screen monitors at bars.

Velcro - Funny, but I think there's four people on a curling team.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

ahh, then tell Alan to come on back ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

No, not shuffle board.

It's an old school game you'd see in an old bar, don't know the name. It's like that old bowling games that you used to use a puck.

They also have it as one of the 10 choices of video games on those touch screen monitors at bars.

The tabletop shuffleboard, at least my dad called it that, is an old school game. Is this it?

shuffleboard.jpg

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Curling is played in over 35 countries throughout the world

Curling was "invented" in Scotland in the late 1400s

The first organized curling club was established in Lochleven Scotland in 1668

Much later a set of 12 rules was published and adopted by most clubs

The Royal Caledonian Curling Club was formed in 1836 thus creating a governing body which eventually led to uniform rules and regulations throughout Scotland and the rest of the world

The first curling match in Canada took place in 1760 on the St. Charles River near Quebec City

The first organized curling club in Canada was the Royal Montreal Club founded in 1807

The first curling club in Ontario was formed in Kingston in 1820

There are approximately 1200 curling clubs in Canada including 210 clubs in Ontario with 8 in the Greater Hamilton area

There are approximately 1.5 million people aged 7 and older who curl in Canada each year

There are 4 curlers (skip, vice skip, second lead) on a curling team, each of whom deliver 2 rocks each end

A game is played on a "sheet" approximately 14 feet wide and 140 feet long of pebbled ice

A game lasts approximately 2 hours or 15 minutes an end. There are 8 ends in club games, 10 ends in most Ontario Curling Association Competitive games

The object of the game is to have your team's rocks (also known as stones) closest to the centre of the house which is made up of 4 circles 12', 8', 4' and approximately 1' in diameter

The curling rock weighs approximately 44 pounds or 19.95 Kilograms. They are made of special granite found only in Wales or Scotland