• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wikipedia Article Speculates about USF Rivals...

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

My guess is the students walked away from that game with the impression that UCF was a 'rival' or potential rival.

My guess is that the students walked away from that game with the impression that UCfers are obsessed with USF, and wondered why.  Many USF fans have always wondered why...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

My guess is that the students walked away from that game with the impression that UCfers are obsessed with USF, and wondered why.  Many USF fans have always wondered why...

I'm just not sure where you are getting this reading.  It just seems far too analytical for an 18-year old kid that, by all estimations, has to believe UCF and USF are second-tier universities after FSU and UF.  That's what I thought of USF and UCF coming out of high school and I can't see that's changed so much in 15 years.

I just see the typical USF student who is new to football (and what USF student isn't?) seeing these two schools as fairly natural rivals.  

I doubt Mike Camunas is reading this thread and it is sort of non-football season, but I'd love to see a view-of-the-student article on this series next fall.

I'm just not sure where you are getting this reading.  It just seems far too analytical for an 18-year old kid that, by all estimations, has to believe UCF and USF are second-tier universities after FSU and UF.  That's what I thought of USF and UCF coming out of high school and I can't see that's changed so much in 15 years.

No, it is a very simple reading, borne of common sense:

A - People talk about rivalries, they become legend with tons of history

B - There was no history of playing UCF in football

C - USF students have no hatred for UCF, especially since they are "new to football" as you put it

D - UCF fans admit that their students have some vitriol for USF, and it was evident by their actions

E - USF students would just wonder why the UCFers are so assinine

Simple logic...

No, it is a very simple reading, borne of common sense:

A - People talk about rivalries, they become legend with tons of history

B - There was no history of playing UCF in football

C - USF students have no hatred for UCF, especially since they are "new to football" as you put it

D - UCF fans admit that their students have some vitriol for USF, and it was evident by their actions

E - USF students would just wonder why the UCFers are so assinine

Simple logic...

I guess if that is your opinion of how the USF student population views the UCF series you are entitled to it.  It may be steeped in logic, but I'm not sure the logic equates to reality.  I think Joe USF student thinks of this series as plenty meaningful.  At least it is something they can get charged up about.  There is familiarity there.

The hilarious thing to me is how USF fans (myself included) somehow think USF has accomplished anything more than UCF.  USF has a better conference affiliation, but in terms of on-field accomplishments they are pretty even.  In terms of school demographics, outside respect, etc. they are dead on.  Neither is any more special than the other.  The schools are so painfully similar in their pursuit of No. 4 billing that it just is just a rivalry in terms of clawing for that title.  Forget for a moment that everyone knows someone from their high school that went to UCF (ok, not me because I went to H.S. in Maryland, but I certainly spent many weekends over in O-Town with mutual UCF friends back in the day).

Rivalries all start somewhere.  I guess time will tell on this one - the odd thing is the only way this would truly not become a rivalry is if USF were to cancel the series.  If it becomes a yearly series (and I believe the Citrus Bowl attendance this fall will make that case) it will certainly grow to be an 'anticipated fall game.'  (or what some would call a rivalry).

I think Joe USF student thinks of this series as plenty meaningful.  At least it is something they can get charged up about.  There is familiarity there.

I think Joe USF Student doesn't think about football, we haven't reached that level yet.  To suggest that this series is meaningful to the student body is hilarious.

I think Joe USF Student doesn't think about football, we haven't reached that level yet.  To suggest that this series is meaningful to the student body is hilarious.

I got 45,139 reasons why you are wrong.  

If you don't think the series means more than Cincinnati or UConn to the student population (and I don't mean every student, but the ones that are typically engaged in campus life (ie. Joe Student in my example) you never will.

A lot of people attended that game last year.

Per USF: "A crowd of 45,139, second-largest in South Florida's relatively brief football history . . ."

Until a USF/UCF game draws flies I'll stick with the premise that this is a meaningful game to students.  Not sure if you saw it, but the students were actually in their seats and into the game.  Amazing.  Go figure. Incredible.  

One additional reason USF and UCF may be rivals.  In terms of losing streaks our Hoops losing streak is fast approaching their football losing streak. :-)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

One additional reason USF and UCF may be rivals.  In terms of losing streaks our Hoops losing streak is fast approaching their football losing streak. :-)

Maybe in numbers only. Our losing streak pales in comparison to theirs considering the competition ...

I got 45,139 reasons why you are wrong.  

If you don't think the series means more than Cincinnati or UConn to the student population (and I don't mean every student, but the ones that are typically engaged in campus life (ie. Joe Student in my example) you never will.

A lot of people attended that game last year.

Per USF: "A crowd of 45,139, second-largest in South Florida's relatively brief football history . . ."

Until a USF/UCF game draws flies I'll stick with the premise that this is a meaningful game to students.  Not sure if you saw it, but the students were actually in their seats and into the game.  Amazing.  Go figure. Incredible.  

We had 45k students at the game?  Wow, really amazing when you consider the fact that we don't have 45k students.

Yes, we saw good attendance.  However, how much of that was due to the novelty factor of it being the first game between USF and its closest geographical university?  How many will go to the game year after year?

To get back to this specific argument, how many of the attendees were students and how does that compare historically with other games we've played?

All we have here is opinions.  Yours, mine, the obsessed UCFers that come to this board every minute of the day, etc.  There are no facts to provide any evidence of anyt rivalry or potential rivalry.  All we've got is opinion.

How about we revisit this in about 5 years?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

How many will go to the game year after year?

Those of us who purchase season tickets will show up. And if it's as entertaining as last year's game...I'm certain some others will swing by as well.