• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Assistants' Salaries Rank Among Lowest In BCS

Guest PariahII

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Great article by Brett.  As always, JL got the assitant coachs pool increased when he got his his new salary.  100k each year for the next seven years should be a nice incentive to grow with USF.  Only number I don't like being used is the "average" salary.  There are always some big bucks coaches that distort this number.  Kinda like the old adage "the average temp on my feet is 78, one foot is on hot burning coals and the other is on a block of ice."  With this being our first year in the BE I think you will see more and more dollars being put into our athletic program.  It will take some time.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't we just join the BCS? shouldn't this be expected?

Not sure I like how Brett makes this sound as if it is a travesty.

I agree. start winning games in the BCS and then expect salaries to increase. CJL gets paid quite well. we should be the 33rd ranked team every year if he is the 33rd highest paid coach.

I'd like to see how our hoops coaches are paid compared to coaches from all of D1 basketball not just the BCS schools.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

Brett forgot to mention that coaching in the state of Florida has its incentives. Shoot, that is a lot of money to pay a coach if they get to coach at USF. Have we already forgotten where we came from?? Lets see how these numbers will rank after USF has been in a BCS conference for 5 or 10 years. I seriously doubt that USF will be ranked that low. Also, Kravitz pretty much passed up job security and pay raises each year as Jim Leavitt did fight to get his assistants pay raises when he did his new contract. Leavitt does take care of his staff if you can recall his new contract. That contract didnt have to have those annual increases for the coaching staff.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  701

so?

when they start winning and/or putting an exciting brand of football on field where people want to pay to see them,the coaches will be rewarded just like every other  profession

when you produce you get rewarded

exactly!!  

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  651

Its no surprise why we cant pull in any big name assistant coaches. To put up with Leavitt and get paid that little, in comparison, isn't worth it. We have always said, as players, that our assistants need to be paid more, not all but definitely some of them.

Guest S.  Bien

I hope this wasn't a revelation to some?

Some of you do realize that when Leavitt started USF he came for $84k, half his salary as Co-DC at KSU.  You refuse to give him credit for that?  This is HIS program the last I checked.  You can't put the cart before the horse, meaning if we didn't pay the HC what he was worth, then he would have left and those sub-standard assistants would be out of a job as well.

Also, almost half the assistant coaches received zero salary those first two years and just received free room and board in dorms.  We had the real Glory Road going at USF.

Just a perspective for some about where we were, and where we've come.

didn't we just join the BCS? shouldn't this be expected?

Not sure I like how Brett makes this sound as if it is a travesty.

I agree. start winning games in the BCS and then expect salaries to increase. CJL gets paid quite well. we should be the 33rd ranked team every year if he is the 33rd highest paid coach.

I'd like to see how our hoops coaches are paid compared to coaches from all of D1 basketball not just the BCS schools.

That's Brett's MO.  Point at USF about what they're not doing but don't provide readers the full perspective.

Who in their right mind could have expected us to be on par with the BCS.  Although, had he been smart enough to compare us to all 1-A schools he might have shown the numbers are not much more glamorous and then his story would have had more teeth.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

lets also remember that our coaches do not pay income tax. 7.5% income tax on 200,000 is $15,000. A pretty considerable chunk of change in my book. In the case of Leavitt and McCullum that number is closer to $75,000.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Those figures include all bonuses, etc, if realized.

As for job security, NC State is not getting rid of their coaching staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That team has one of the best defenses year in and out since Amato got there.

Last point, there is a CAP on assistant salaries, therefore the average is closer to the ceiling than you might think. I know this program has come a long way! You don't need to remind me, and I agree that Leavitt has built this, but to say the people that were there with him through the time DON'T deserve to be paid WELL BELOW average while he makes close to BCS average is not right in my books.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  289

There's no cap on salaries.  There's a cap on the number of assistants you can keep on staff.  But you can pay them a bajillion dollars if you want.