• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MOCS defeat UT ( 14-7, 5-5 conf.)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

PARSONS SIZZLES AGAINST TAMPA ... Senior guard Dale Parsons (Toronto, Ontario/Weber State) decided to make his only trip to Tampa's Bob Martinez Center a memorable one.  He fired in a career-high 34 points Wednesday night to lead the men's basketball team to a 69-65 road win over their arch-rivals.  Parsons' output was the best by a Moccasin player against Tampa since Frank Scuderi hit for 36 back in 1957.  After a disappointing home loss to Saint Leo Monday night, the win over Tampa got the Mocs' SSC record back to .500 at 5-5 (14-7 overall).  Parsons was a perfect 12-for-12 from the free throw line against Tampa, including four straight in the final seconds to clinch the win.  He raised his team-leading scoring average to 17.4 and his free throw percentage to 88.1(89-101).  He also drilled six three-pointers in the game to boost his season total to 61.  After enjoying the weekend off, the Moccasins are on the road for a 5:30 p.m. game Wednesday at Nova Southeastern.  The game will be broadcast live on the Internet.  To listen to the Internet broadcasts, go to the men's basketball web site, click on the broadcast link, and follow the directions.

Published Thursday, February 2, 2006

Parsons, Mocs Shock Spartans

By Tom Zebold

The Ledger

TAMPA -- After a heartbreaking loss to Saint Leo on Monday, Tony Longa was looking for someone to step up in one of the biggest games of the season.

A win against conference rival Tampa would have put the Moccasins back at .500 in the Sunshine State Conference if they could find a way to knock off rival Tampa on the road Wednesday night.

Dale Parsons answered the call and made history at Bob Martinez Sports Center by becoming the first Moccasin player in the last 16 years to score more than 30 points against Tampa in a 6965 win.

Parsons' 34 points was the second most by a Moccasin player against Tampa. His total included a perfect 12-for-12 at the foul line, with two of those coming in the final seconds of the game to seal the win for Florida Southern.

"This was my first and last time here so I wanted to make sure that I went out with a bang," said Parsons of his first-ever game at Tampa.

Florida Southern gained control in the first-half thanks to a 12-0 run that featured a momentum-shifting block by Andrei Grant and two 3-pointers by the Moccasin offense.

After Tampa cut the Moccasin lead to five, Parsons connected on one of his five first-half 3pointers to up the Florida Southern lead to seven with 11:59 remaining.

The Moccasins at led by as many as 11 before Tampa began to warm up offensively behind key 3-pointers by Mark Borders, who led Tampa with 11 points in the first half.

After Parsons connected on another 3-point shot with 7:24 remaining to go up 29-19, Tampa went on 12-0 run of their own to take a 31-29 lead.

The real dramatics came with less than one minute to play when Gilberry made a seemingly game-deciding two point shot to give the Moccasins a 65-60 lead.

Seconds later, Christopher Evans hit a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 65-63 with only 25 seconds remaining.

Parsons then sank fourstraight free throws to seal the win for the Moccasins on a night that the University of Tampa honored men's basketball coach Richard Schmidt after he became the seventh Division II coach with 500 career victories.

This was my last MOCS game for a while with the move being Monday ... coach brought me into the locker room after the game to get a nice send off from the guys - DANG sure will miss them.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

UT is too inconsistent right now.  Schmidt isn't too happy right now, but then again, he never is.

Three of us dressed up as Schmidt a couple years back ... glad we won another nail biter  ;)

GraySeriousET.jpg

When I get my computer back on line when we get settled in our apartment, will show the others ... we had a blast and we had a couple girls dress up as his former asst. - Cat Woman  8)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

GraySeriousET.jpg

Looks more like Phil Donahue ...

I was told that and some T.V. Preacher ...  ;D

Or a generic car salesman  8)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I was told that and some T.V. Preacher ...  ;D

Benny Hinn .......... they were right.

• 4 weeks later...

When I get my computer back on line when we get settled in our apartment, will show the others ...

GrayETClipper1.jpg

GrayETClipper2.jpg