• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Don't worry about our recruits ranking

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

These rankings are normally a load of crap.  Obviously the guys they rank as 5 stars are gonna 90% of the time be good college players and the 4 stars 75% of the time.  To me the 3 and 2 stars are a crap shoot that the people doing the ranking have very little info on the guy.   Here are some of our 2 star recruits from the past that started last season.  You be the judge.

Terrence Royal DE

John Miller C

Steve Nicholas LB

Pat Julmiste QB

Of those, the only one who truly was a 2 is Pat in my opinion.  All others are very solid players, with Nicholas possibly playing on Sundays.

Ben Moffitt LB

Pat St. Louis LB

SJ Green WR

Allen Cray DL

Trae Williams CB

All 5 solid players also.  

My Point is guys that these rankings are all a big guess.  Its what you do when you get to campus that determines how good you are.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'm not worried. What a kid does in high school does not necessarily mean he will be a stud in college. I trust the staff to develop these guys into the players we need them to be.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know I'll get shot for this, but that is talk of a guy who is trying to justify this class because he feel's tehre is a problem with it. There is no reason to, I have made several points about the number of 2 star athletes that became very good college players and some are in the NFL. On top of that these guys are still very good players in the state of Florida.

However, in 90% of the cases the top 250 guys (5 and 4 stars) are going to be GOOD (might not be great) but good players at their schools. The secret is finding those 3-2-1/walk-ons that can contribute to your team. Every school picks up these 2 star guys because they each see something in a player that could grow. Guys like Sean Taylor (Miami) and Chris Doering (Florida) were hardly recruited yet picked up on by coaching staffs at their respected schools.

This class is a fine class. We have several athletes that will be able to play the game and well. While it probably won't win us a National Title, it will help us compete in the BE.

Some will worry about the ratings, and that is fine in some cases, its how people view your program. We will get bigger guys more consistently down the road, it takes patience and time. And when it does people will be excited about all the 4 star talent we got.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

i am not worried.

we filled our needs

we finally have some real quarterbacks in the mix this year

i am worried about the offensive coaching at QB and OC

if JL fixes that we will be fine

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

A class dominated by linemen is not going to be ranked as high as a class with a lot of skill position players.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

Two words: Brock Berlin

When you go primarily for lineman the class will never sound exciting. The fact is we brought in speed and size. We have the coaching and the facility to bring these guys and the team to a high level.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bullgator, Brock might have not lived up to the hype, but he was still a solid QB in college. I'm sure people would kill for a qb with his talent here right now

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  57

This year's class was recruited for need. IMHO, they filled it very well. Unless you go after, and get, a bunch of offensive "skill" players, i.e., QB,WR,RB, you're not going to be ranked highly. This is a good class that addresses our needs. We did very well at WR, and we have QBs galore from previous classes. We needed OL & DL and I think those needs were met. Don't forget, this year's recruiting class is not for NEXT year's team. It is for the years after next year, the 2nd, 3rd & 4th years down the road. Bravo Bulls!  Bil

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf will never see a qb as good as brock berlin as long as leavitt is coach

we got 10 d lineman

we could have used 5 great lineman

excuses and rationalization

5 of our conference mates out recruited us

keep spinning guys

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Joe, where did I ever try to justify the class.  I'm happy with the guys we got.  I was just proving that a lot of the ratings are a bunch of BS.