• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg: No surprises yet

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

From http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/usf/2006/02/no-surprises-yet.html :

It's still three hours before Jim Leavitt will make his first comments on this year's USF football recruiting class, but the early indication is that there's very little surprises from what the Bulls expected to get.

USF has announced 20 official signings, and nearly all of the other commitments are accounted for -- still tracking down Milton's Josh Smiley and Pensacola's LaBrandon Glover -- but aside from them, there weren't any last-minute defections away from the Bulls.

The last few outstanding prospects the Bulls had coveted signed elsewhere today, with Miami Lakes quarterback Thaddeus Lewis signing with Duke (hard to argue against the chance for that kind of education) and Miami Central defensive end Bryant Miller signing with Auburn. Any hopes of landing Jefferson's Daron Rose ended when he signed, as expected, with Florida State.

It's no surprise, but worth mentioning, that USF's entire class will come from the state of Florida, with the exception of junior college defensive tackle Frank Harry, who enrolled in January. Leavitt and his staff are committed to building a program almost entirely from this state, and they certainly covered all of Florida this year -- I count at least nine different area codes I'm calling in tracking down future Bulls today. You expected a strong showing in the Tampa Bay area, and in Miami, but USF will sign five players from the Panhandle, and another three from Jacksonville, two areas they haven't recruited as heavily in past years.

I'll try to check in again with news before Leavitt's press conference. If anything, the news so far is that there is no news, just the formal collection and unveiling of what looks to be a deep and talented class, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

building a team entirely from florida that loses to uconn doesn't impress me

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Too much money. We don't have access to the private planes, travel costs, etc. that the bigger schools do.

We will in a few years start to work mor eout of state, but for now what we are grabiing in state is very nice talent. No reason to really spend all the money trying to convince someone from Tennessee to come here.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  701
  • Days Won:  0

if i had a dollar for every pessimistic smazza post i'd have $31,523  ;D

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ok

at 61 we had a great recruiting year in relation to other big east teams even though we finished ahead of the uconn AND CINN

it is what it is

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  152

Recruits are not the worry.  Who is going to be the QB is all that matters.  We have the parts in every facet.  Just need someone who can throw a 10 yard slant over all the linebackers that crowd the box.

We will find out the first game of the year if we do.  For USF to be good we need to be throwing the ball about 20 times a game.  last year -- we couldn't because we had the worst QB in the country.  Hopefully they put in 1st on the depth chart and falling down.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

need a QB, and players for future years...should be good this year if we can find a QB, though

we have to keep in mind a few transfers including amp hill (Name) from LSU who from what I hear is a stud WR.  If we can give C4 some protection and let his natural ability take over we could have an explosive offense (I  reccommend some stick 'em for our WRS)