• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Will she make the cut at the Sony Open?

Two years ago she came within 1 shot, last year the wind blew her game away.

After today's +9 debacle, the answer is "definately not."

+9 is a lot better than me, though...  :P

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,596
  • Days Won:  29

She had a very good final day, but not good enough overall . . .

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737
  • Days Won:  0

She is still the best looking player in the tournament........

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,596
  • Days Won:  29

She is still the best looking player in the tournament........

Which is the ONLY reason I would/may watch it.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

she seems a bit chunky in the trunky

Is the Wie story wearing thin in men' events? By Mark Lamport-Stokes, Reuters golf correspondent

Mon Jan 16, 6:02 AM ET

HONOLULU (Reuters) - Michelle Wie's latest failure to make the cut in a men's event raises questions over how much longer players and fans are prepared to put up with future attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wie missed the halfway cut at last week's Sony Open after returning rounds of 79 and 68 and is expected to play alongside the men at least twice more this year.

She will make her second successive appearance at the Casio World Open in Japan in November and is also believed to be considering a couple of PGA Tour events.

The most likely of these is the John Deere Classic, where she missed the cut by a stroke last July.

Although the 16-year-old Honolulu schoolgirl is one of the most exciting drawcards in the game, whether playing well or badly, the novelty factor is likely to run out soon.

However, getting Wie to play alongside the men has been a major coup by tournament sponsors, with the Sony Open and John Deere Classic in particular benefiting hugely with record crowds and extensive media coverage.

Australia's Adam Scott, widely tipped as a future world number one, expressed mixed feelings at the Sony Open.

"I think it's a good thing for golf at the moment," he said. "It's a big story in the game. I think we need all of the exposure we can get and the media hype.

"If she starts making the cuts (in men's events), then I think she can play in as many as she wants, as many as she can get into.

WEARING THIN

"But I think it wears a bit thin on everyone if she were to keep missing all the cuts. There's no doubt, though, she's good enough to make the cut."

Wie herself remained as upbeat as ever about her future last week, despite missing the cut at Waialae Country Club for the seventh time in a men's event.

"My goal is definitely to win in the (women's) LPGA, to win a major," she said after completing her third Sony Open and her fourth appearance in a men's PGA Tour event.

"And my goal is definitely to make the cut and to compete out here (on the PGA Tour).

"I don't think there are actually any real strict guidelines on how to do it. I think that what I'm doing might be right or might be wrong, but it's what I want to do right now.

"It makes me happy, so I intend to keep on doing it."

For Wie's swing coach David Leadbetter, it is only a matter of time before his young charge develops the winning habit.

"She's a pioneer and there's no doubt she's going to win and win a lot," he told reporters at Waialae Country Club.

BEST PLAYERS

"But when you're limited in how many events you play in -- as she is -- and against the best players in the world, men and women, the chances of winning are less."

Although yet to win a title at the highest level, Wie has come desperately close on the LPGA Tour where she has produced four top-10 finishes in eight major starts.

David Toms, who clinched his 12th PGA Tour title by five shots at the Sony Open on Sunday, believes the Wie story perhaps holds more interest for the media than for anyone else.

"Now it's kind of old news," he said. "You know going into tournaments that she's going to be playing and you just say 'hi' to her on the putting green and wish her luck and go tee off.

"It's not really a big story for us (the players) any more," he added.

"Sure it probably still is in the media and would be for television if she was playing on the weekend but, from a player standpoint, not really."

One thing about Wie that cannot be argued is her desire to go where no other woman golfer has gone before.

"I really want to change what everyone thinks about the women's game, make them think a little bit more outside the box," she told Reuters last year.

"I want to play on the PGA Tour as well as the LPGA Tour, and I really want to become the first woman to play in the (U.S.) Masters at Augusta National."

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

if she doesnt win at something she will just be a freak show