• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East's future

We have tentative agreements with bowls in Toronto and New York, but I'm told that the NCAA is not going to approve either bowl game unless another game tanks. The history of fans traveling above the Mason-Dixon Line to freezing temps is not good.

The New York Bowl game was contingent on the new stadium being built for the Olympics.  That stadium deal was killed by the state of New York - so that bowl game will be going bye-bye.

Toronto is the only bowl game that is still waiting in the wings.

Next year, the Big East will only have THREE bowl slots:

- BCS

- Gator/Sun

- Meineke

Oh, and the Motor City Bowl if the Big Ten doesn't have enough teams.

Not a good thing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

DRUMMERBOY-ISN'T MEINEKE BOWL A MID ATLANTIC BOWL?

we need to beat the crummy teams in the big east

Guest BullsFans

Who would want to go to Toronto or NY in Dec/Jan for a second rate bowl game?  Count me out.

The Motor City Bowl the day after Christmas! No Thanks.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

The New York Bowl game was contingent on the new stadium being built for the Olympics.  That stadium deal was killed by the state of New York - so that bowl game will be going bye-bye.

Toronto is the only bowl game that is still waiting in the wings.

Next year, the Big East will only have THREE bowl slots:

- BCS

- Gator/Sun

- Meineke

Oh, and the Motor City Bowl if the Big Ten doesn't have enough teams.

Not a good thing.

3 Bowls?!

When will the BE get a 4th bowl back and why is it Gator/Sun?

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

1. I'd go back for USF, and if USF were to not go anywhere, I may go anyway if it's a matchup worth saying

2. I think it depends. Outside of the BCS, we've really only got two other concrete bowl game options: Insight and Gator. So if we have a decidedly better season (let's say, 9-3) and Gator Bowl gives us the shaft (and honestly, Insight would be foolish to invite us at this juncture, I don't think we're ready to travel in huge numbers cross country) and MCC gives us the bid, I think we'd be glad to show up. But if it were another situation like this year, I'm not sure as many of us would "settle" for this bowl; it would show no progress whatsoever.

I thought we (the BE) iwas done with the insight bowl and signed up for the bowl in Houston starting next season?

Guest BullsFans

I'd go back to Charlotte next if we play consistantly  well throughout the season and only get beat by top teams teams like UL and WVA.....with out that I'll pass.

3 Bowls?!

When will the BE get a 4th bowl back and why is it Gator/Sun?

The Gator Bowl wasn't happy with the Big East matching up with the ACC in their bowl -- so the Big East, Big 12, Sun and Gator Bowls signed a deal that the Gator could take a Big 12 team twice in four years.  If that happens, then the Sun Bowl will take the Big East team.

Also, don't forget, Notre Dame is part of the Big East for the lesser bowls.  So it is possible for the Big East to have only two bowl teams -- one in the BCS and another in either the Gator/Sun or Meineke.

The only saving grace is that with 29 bowls and 58 slots next year, there will be a few more open slots as conferences don't fill their slots.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

To change the subject, all USF fans need to thank Frank Solich/Ohio University and Bill Callahan/University of NE for beating the Pitt Panthers or USF plays in Detroit this season.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

DRUMMERBOY-ISN'T MEINEKE BOWL A MID ATLANTIC BOWL?

we need to beat the crummy teams in the big east

Regionally, no. Charlotte is in the South. the mid-Atlantic region is roughly Northern VA (DC Suburbs and such) through about mid-Jersey, encompassing parts of VA, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

To change the subject, all USF fans need to thank Frank Solich/Ohio University and Bill Callahan/University of NE for beating the Pitt Panthers or USF plays in Detroit this season.

And USF playing in Detroit would be optimistic--Motor City had no obligation to pick up a Big East team with fewer than 7 wins. They could have still taken Memphis and left us sitting home.