• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Smith Fired - Read article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

http://tspweb02.tsp.utexas.edu/webarchive/11-21-00/2000112109_s02_Missouris.html

OK, so it's not ROD smith, and its not from this year, but I want the same article in the St Pete times by this Friday, but insert Rod's name where Larry appears.

By Mercedes Parker

Daily Texan Staff

Just a couple of weeks after hearing that Bob Simmons would be stepping down as head football coach at Oklahoma State, the Big 12 had another setback with Missouri head coach Larry Smith's dismissal on Saturday after the Tigers' 28-24 home loss.

"I was certainly saddened by [hearing Smith was released]," Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder said. "I think all of us feel badly that it is taking place. He's a tremendously talented coach. He'll be absolutely fine because he's a strong man."

Smith compiled a 33-46-1 record at Mizzou after seven years, and he had three years left on his contract. In his 24 overall seasons in coaching, he had a 143-126-7 record, with much of his success coming at Tulane, Arizona and Southern California.

This season, the Tigers ended with a 3-8 record. They only had two conference wins this season, against Baylor and Oklahoma State, two of the Big 12's worst teams.

Many of Smith's fellow Big 12 coaches said they are sad to see Smith go.

"It just breaks your heart," Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney said. "We've got a better profession in football because of Larry Smith. He's been a winner on and off the field. We had a better conference because of him."

Kansas head coach Terry Allen, whose Jayhawks are longtime rivals with the Tigers, said that he hated to see Smith go, and that he has had nothing but respect for Smith.

Smith was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year by the Associated Press in 1997.

"I think it's awful," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "I hope that if Larry hopes to continue to coach, somebody will hire him. Larry Smith is one of the great guys in college football."

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

Tease.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

ok, enough of these things....    >:(

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378

LOL, sorry my psychiotrist said it would be a good coping mechanism!!  

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  274

darn it we all thought he shouldn't be allowed on the plane home...and we said we would pack his office for him tomorrow!  

just do it already....

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Step into my office...

Why?

Cuz you're f*#&ing fired!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

LOL, sorry my psychiotrist said it would be a good coping mechanism!!  

Maybe you should look into a psychologist or psychiatrist instead...apparently whatever you're seeing wants to cause you MORE pain by getting hopes up >:(.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Wake up!! It's not all on  Smith's  playcalling.... alot of the Junk we've seen masquerade as QB play is not Smith's fault.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Wake up!! It's not all on  Smith's  playcalling.... alot of the Junk we've seen masquerade as QB play is not Smith's fault.

And yet, the VAST MAJORITY of the fake QB play IS!  There's more than one school that's taken walk-ons to higher levels than pj in 1/4 of the time PJ has had.  You can blame the player all you want.

USF has 40000 students.  I bet some are relatively bright kids that can throw the ball at least 40 yards.  All it takes from there is coaching.  Granted, you can't mold an average person into a starting NFL QB.  But you CAN and SHOULD, as a coach, be able to mold an average person with good intelligence into a good COLLEGE player!

Actually, other than kicker/punter, the QB position is one that tends to take less athleticism than any other, and more intelligence.  A coach is MORE responsible for this position than almost any other!