• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How You Are Hurting My Beloved Alma Mater

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

ummm, we hit big time when we went to the big east. No, we're not a national championship caliber team, but the only thing holding us back from that is ourselves. Going into the big east the stakes were raised and pop warner playcalling should have been left with CUSA. If a small group of pissed off fans can play as heavily as you'd like to think in the perception of our school than we've got bigger problems...and maybe you should go parading around to fix those instead.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Good post, DMince.

Sorry, Kyle.  The term 'big time' was the furthest thing in my mind when I saw the web site.  Criticism is one thing but an attempt at public humiliation is another.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

I'm fairly certain all we got was public humiliation when he called those plays.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

ummm, we hit big time when we went to the big east. No, we're not a national championship caliber team, but the only thing holding us back from that is ourselves. Going into the big east the stakes were raised and pop warner playcalling should have been left with CUSA. If a small group of pissed off fans can play as heavily as you'd like to think in the perception of our school than we've got bigger problems...and maybe you should go parading around to fix those instead.

Well the money doesn't instantly appear just because we joined a conference.  The payday from the BCS bowl, surely could have addressed a few things, but we would still be chumps compared to other big time programs.  we do not have even close to a big time budget.

The problem is resources, and making websites to proclaim the "obvious" is not addressing the issue in a positive manner.  Rambling on an internet message board about this or that is fine and cannot hurt the program, but negative press can.  Trust me here.

Making a negative website that gets media attention can hurt us in so many ways.  We should be finding ways to attract fans that would not normally spend money on little ol USF.  We should all give till it hurts and then give more.

Thats what will make us big time.  Not some website

promoting a coaching change

I'm fairly certain all we got was public humiliation when he called those plays.

Great!  So give money so we can afford better coaches.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

In the words of an old friend, "You are either part of the problem or the solution."

... and the "solution" is to get rid of rod smith.. AKA "FIRE ROD SMITH".. AKA www.firerodsmith.com.

if USF cant take the heat [criticism], then we better get outta the kitchen [bCS].  it comes with the territory and it comes with the expectations of the program.  i, for one, knew they had enough talent to win the conference this year.. yet, they continually underachieved and that goes on the coaching staff for not maximizing/utilizing the talent that it was given.  like CJL said on his call-in radio show sunday "We appreciate those fans [who are critical].  We need those fans."

"We appreciate those fans [who are critical].  We need those fans."

Again and again.

It is okay to be critical.  It is not okay to create a PR problem for the school.  We are all aware that coaching is the issue.  I'm fairly certain CJL and the administration is too.  why dig another hole for us to dig out of.  If you have a problem, write a letter or give more $$$ to the school so we can afford better coaching.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Think many are taking this way too far ... it was barely mentioned nationally and happens all the time - in ncaa & NFL - Get Over It  ::)

There are way more positives than negatives at USF .

We're probably gonna be 7-4 and bowling ... CHEER UP !

And it's not "settling" ... it's fact and we know that te future is very bright - and we are EXPECTING THIS !

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

if USF cant take the heat [criticism], then we better get outta the kitchen [bCS].  it comes with the territory and it comes with the expectations of the program.  

Show me where USF's comments ... this is a fan discussion.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158

Look this is not a jihad against USF Athletics, Doug Woolard, CJL, or our team.  But the fact of the matter is this:  Poor play calling cost us that game.  You can debate this all you want.  But the reality is we ARE in a BCS conference that is big time and our fans, players, and donors deserve more than sandlot-quality play calling with a BCS berth on the line.  

We don't NEED to spend an extra $1M a year to find a super-duper-deluxe big-name Offensive Coordinator.  The FRS.com site is not about spending more money.  What it IS about is accountability and common sense.  When your average Joe Shmoe watching on the couch knows that you shouldn't rush a snap on 4th and 1 and you DEFINITELY shouldn't run a double-reverse on 4th and 6 but Rod Smith calls those plays anyway, then he opens himself up to deserved criticism.  When the casual football fan knows you should hand the ball to Hall and let him pound it in but you call some ridiculous trickery that ends up like a botched abortion, the incompetence at our OC position is exposed.  Sorry, but that's how it goes.

I will continue to donate. I will continue to buy my tickets. I will continue to cheer loudly for our coaches and players, as they represent this University and I'm DAMNED proud to be a Bull.  Furthermore, I encourage everyone to do the same.  But I (and many others, if you read the frs.com site) can't tolerate this incompetence any longer, and it's time for new blood on the OC position.  It started under Hobbie's watch  and has continued under Rod Smith's.  Our QB development has stayed stagnant or regressed during the Smith/Hobbie regime, and the only thing that's REALLY changed is the name holding the OC title.  

We NEED new blood to help our offensive players develop into the type of players that can change the momentum of a D-1 football game on their own and not rely on the defense to bail them out time and time again.  Right now, the only player that qualifies under that criteria is Andre Hall, and he's gone in 2006.  If you think our offense is pathetic now, wait until 2006 when we're running the same old schemes, the same old trick plays that don't work 99% of the time, and don't have Andre's amazing talent to fall back on.

It's time for change.  That realization may not be pleasant for some, but it doesn't make it any less truthful.  I can't see how ANY of you think Rod Smith is competent enough to continue calling plays for this University when we've seen scoring chance after scoring chance flushed down the toilet because Smith feels the need to revert to trickery instead of utilizing the true strengths of this football team.  

Keeping a coordinator that can't maximize the talents of the football team he has is what's ludicrous, not the frs.com site.