• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Say Leavitt leaves for K-State, you want THIS guy?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

As a Brown's fan, I am still having to bear the burden of Butch Davis virtually ruining the team for year's to come. With repeated bad draft picks, poor FA signings, a monster ego that seemed to slip into bizzare emotional anxiety, I'm not so sure THIS is the guy if Leavitt leaves.

Yeah, I know, the old cliche that colleges coaches don't make good NFL coaches, and vice versa, but that really isn't that case any longer. And, you can argue that he was a great college coach, but I don't think he's the same guy that left Miami.

Just can't imagine having to deal with Butch Davis again in a team I root for.

Butch Davis never wanted to abandon his dream job and all its ego-soothing power. The last-second losses, freaky injuries and intense scrutiny on his family changed his mind.

The pressures of bearing the responsibilities of running the Browns, and the criticism that went with that, caught up to Davis. Sure, he put those duties on his own plate. He wanted to run the show and it was his push to eliminate many of the front office decision-makers that put him in this position.

Davis inherited a 5-27 expansion team, devoid of any depth or star players, from Chris Palmer in 2001. He went 24-36 during his stay in Cleveland, leading the Browns to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance in 2002, his second season after leaving the University of Miami.

But since then, the Browns regressed, going 8-19 amid a string of close losses, costly injuries and chaos.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1934933

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

If Leavitt leaves, I would want to go after Patterson at TCU or promote Kravitz.

Butch Davis remains mum on his future, Razorbacks

As the hot seat for Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt heated up after an embarrassing 28-24 loss to suddenly surging Vandy, Butch Davis' Touchdown Club speech in Little Rock seemed like perfect timing (or terrible timing, depending on your point of view).

The former University of Miami and Cleveland Browns head coach was ready to be quizzed about the Hogs' job, and artfully declined to express direct interest in job, while not ruling it out.

Davis' comments, per the AP:

"That's an unfair thing," Davis said. "Houston is a friend of mine."

"It's a great place," Davis said. "I've got family and friends - but it's a difficult thing. It's unfortunate that Houston's going through a tough time and I wish him the best and want him to win this weekend."

"Where I am right now, I'm keeping all my options open," he said.

Make no mistake...Butch Davis is THE #1 free agent head coaching candidate on the market this season, just as Spurrier was last year. Davis is flush with NFL buyout cash (at least $11 million), and can certainly afford to take his time to pick and choose the right opening in the college ranks.

Arkansas, where Davis played college football, has long seemed like a logical fit. However, Houston Nutt just got a brand new contract extension through 2011 (making a coaching change very expensive), signed a super-elite prep quarterback, and got a vote of confidence from AD Frank Broyles on the eve of the season opener (for what that's worth). However, nobody denies that the mere availability of Davis makes the hot seat hotter for Nutt.

Other schools that could vie for Davis' services--should vacancies occur at any of them--include:

Alabama

Mike Shula needs to win big games to keep the job, and Davis flirted with the Tide back when Mike DuBose was fired. Yesterday's humorous pot-shot at Bama won't endear him to the Crimson crowd, but probably wouldn't keep them from courting him again.

Miami

Is Larry Coker hearing hoofbeats in Coral Gables? If his tenure there ends soon (either by firing, retirement, or something in between), expect to hear clamor for a Davis encore engagement. After a less-than-stellar NFL stint, Mike Riley trekked back to Oregon State for a second round there, though Steve Spurrier did not seek to tread the waters again at Florida. Of course, Spurrier had already won a national title with the Gators, something Davis didn't get to do at UM.

Texas

Mack Brown's stock is rising these days--especially after the big win over Ohio State. However, considering all the hype and hopes surrounding the 2005 Longhorns, a collapse this season could seriously jeopardize Brown's future in Austin, considering the fanbase there that has long wondered whether he can lead national championship talent to a national championship. Butch Davis has long been mentioned a potential solid fit for UT, given his old Southwest Conference pedigree and successful tenure as a Dallas Cowboys assistant. The odds are slim on this one, but you never know.

UCLA

Could Karl Dorrell's days be numbered in Bruin-land? It's too early in the season to know for sure, but you can bet the Bruins could do worse than to give Davis a ring. Butch Davis has the NFL head coaching credibility (like Pete Carroll) to open doors and sell tickets in SoCal, has experience coaching at an urban university packed with pressure to win, and has experience coaching in a market where recruiting competition is fierce. UCLA, however, may be tempted to turn to another super-successful former 'Canes coach--Dennis Erickson--who has solid Pac 10 coaching experience (something that Davis lacks).

An unexpected retirement at either Florida State or Penn State could also pique the interest in and of Davis.

http://www.fanblogs.com/arkansas/005684.php

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

USF would promote from within, we don't have the money to pay for a top line coach...

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

To be honest, I haven't gotten as far as to think who I'd want if Leavitt left. Guess, I just got as far as knowing who I wouldn't want in Davis.

And, had tried to put him totally out of my mind because of the debacle he left in Cleveland, until I started noticing his name popping up on this board.

USF would promote from within, we don't have the money to pay for a top line coach...

BTW, where does this statement keep coming from? Why is there not enough money, and how do you know that for sure? Just wondering...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

kravetz??????????????????

to suggest that is insane

leavitt and everyone he hired should be let go

we need to bring in someone that can recruit florida,coach and win

why would we want leavitt's # 2 guy????????? if we don't want leavitt

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

I would imagine USF would have around 800K to 1 mil for a head coach salary. You have to figure thats what they are going to offer Leavitt. So they will be willing to spend that on another coach.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

If Leavitt leaves, which I hope doesn't happen, I want Cee for Head Ball Coach.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hello...Ron Zook made a lil over a mil at UF, Coker makes about 1.5 Mil, Bowden makes 2.5 Mil. GOL makes 750,000. Where are we getting 1 Mil for a coach all those programs have much larger budgets than our 19 Mil.

HELL, we took a bus to a game in Miami this year. This program doesnt have an extra 1M for a top line coach, lets not kid ourselves...

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Hello...Ron Zook made a lil over a mil at UF, Coker makes about 1.5 Mil, Bowden makes 2.5 Mil. GOL makes 750,000. Where are we getting 1 Mil for a coach all those programs have much larger budgets than our 19 Mil.

HELL, we took a bus to a game in Miami this year. This program doesnt have an extra 1M for a top line coach, lets not kid ourselves...

That brings up an interesting point. If I understand this correctly, Urban Meyer's base salary at Florida is something like $200,000 per year.  The rest comes from the atheltic association, endorsement deals, etc.  Is CJL's salary the same way, or does USF actually pay for it all?