• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Unsung Hero Award

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

88.jpg

Jon Simmons - #45

Senior

Position: DE

6-05, 245

St. Petersburg, Fla./Clearwater Catholic HS

Heads into fall as a starter on the left end, where coaches hope he excels as a pass rusher with his range…One of several Clearwater Catholic products on the USF roster, he enrolled as a walk-on tight end in 2001, moved to defensive end in Spring 2002, and saw his first action in Fall 2002 as a backup.

SOUTH FLORIDA – 2004: Started final five games at left end…Three of his nine tackles on the season were for losses, including two sacks…Sacks came vs. Tennessee Tech (Sept. 11) and East Carolina (Nov. 13)…Had season-high three tackles vs. Memphis (Nov. 20).

2003: Played in eight games and had one tackle, that coming vs. Charleston Southern (Oct. 18).

2002: Saw backup duty in four games and he made his lone tackle count with a sack vs. Charleston Southern (Nov. 2), which also led to a fumble.

PERSONAL - Born May 9, 1983...Son of Anne Fox.

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/Athlete.asp?s=Football&i=88

This kid was hustling and hitting out there on Saturday.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  0

I played high school ball with Jon back at CCCHS; he was a senior when I was a junior. He always wanted to play football, but his parents always frowned upon it because of his basketball potential. Finally, his senior year he came out to play and he impressed the hell outta everyone. He just constantly worked hard at practice and always maintained focus. Perfect player for an Unsung Hero award too. I like to say I taught him everything he knows to my friends at all the games, because I was on the D line right next to him.  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,672
  • Days Won:  29

I will tell you that is the truth !

And when he's warming up ...  :o the flexibility on this guy at 6'5" !

We will miss him, also ... 6th year SR Jason Allen.

22.jpg

Jason Allen - #16

Senior

Position: DE

6-02, 245

Ft. Myers, Fla./Ft. Myers HS

Returns for a sixth year after sustaining a torn pectoral muscle during weight training prior to the 2004 season…An athletic and speedy player from the outside of the defensive set, he has played linebacker and end, while putting on 20 pounds since coming to USF…Helps provide deep talent at the pass rushing positions…Outstanding high school career was cut short by a knee injury that required surgery...He used a redshirt season in 2000 to fully recover from injury, but he was able to practice and impressed throughout.

SOUTH FLORIDA

2004: Sat out entire season after a pectoral tear in preseason weight conditioning.

2003: Played in eight games and had one start, that coming in second game of season vs. Nicholls State (Sept. 6)…Marked his second career start…Also plays on special teams.  

2002: Saw duty in six games, both as a backup at SAM linebacker and on special teams.

2001: Played in all 11 games, both at SAM linebacker and on special teams...Gained one start in place of an injure Maurice Jones vs. Liberty (Oct. 27)...Finished season with eight tackles, one pass breakup and a fumble recovery, that coming at Pittsburgh (Sept. 8)...Season-best three tackles vs. Connecticut (Oct. 13).

FT. MYERS HIGH SCHOOL - Playing strong safety, he was the defensive leader on the 1999 team that was 10-0 when he tore the ACL and MCL in his knee during the team's playoff game at Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas...Won the team's Headhunter Award that year and was the leading tackler...A three-year starter, who also played tight end...An all-area and all-district player, and according to his coach, Sam Siriani, "an all-state caliber player, although he didn't get that honor"...Was strongly considering Auburn prior to his injury, but appreciated USF staff's persistence even after the injury.

PERSONAL - Born September 17, 1981, his given name is Jason Marcel Allen...Son of John & Janice Allen...Solid student, he was awarded a Florida Merit Scholarship and the Hillmeyer Tremont Scholarship out of high school.

We've got some good BULLS !!!