• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

44 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

My posting here mainly if from me being a donor, season ticket member, alumnus, etc.

I don't believe I have outright posted something here saying that everyone needs to step up their giving. If someone requires my assistance on a work related topic I will respond in kind and if there is someone who wants to discuss giving I message them in private.

We appreciate you being on here!  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Which is exactly why we're having this discussion. being #2 in the Nation didn't get it done. Going 11-2 didn't get it done. It's like newly weds and babies, you figure it out, you nurture it, and you give it all you've got to succeed. There are exactly no guarantees that the kid will be successful, but that doesn't stop you from trying.

I'm guessing Other People don't mind spending their Money on it. I'm also guessing that they have a vision for the future and are not sitting on their collective butts and doing nothing is not it.

Sorry to disagree but "being #2 in the Nation didn't get it done" 10+ years ago when there wasn't a major seismic shift going on in the big money big conference landscape doesn't cut it.  No one outside of USF remembers that.  It's too long ago.

If USF was having that kind of success last year or the year before and was ranked #2, USF would NOT be in the AAC right now.

Also, you presume Other People don't mind spending their Money but you don't even know who those Other People are.  Nobody knows.  I'm not talking about the banks that might LOAN the money or bonds that might be floated to RAISE the money.  Ultimately someone has to pay the piper.  If the projected revenue to service the debt does not materialize (and it frequently does not) then the money will have to come from somewhere, usually fees and surcharges.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

18 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

If USF was having that kind of success last year or the year before and was ranked #2, USF would NOT be in the AAC right now.

A 6-9 week run like we had then wasn't going to replace anybody that's been called up. We may have been more visible from the Twitter "experts" but we'd still be in the AAC.

Edited by Triple B
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I've forever been in the "we don't need an ocs to get us where we want to be" camp and still am. However, college football is meant to be played on campus with all that goes with that. I think everything is finally in place in regards to BOT, administration, Athletics and the fans to get it done ........

If USF is okay with the price and the debt service, it is THEIR decision and I will let THEM worry about paying the bills, doing what I can along the way to help contribute.

"College football is meant to be played on campus".  Not originally.  In fact, in the early days of college football a lot of teams were fielded with non-students.  The Economics of Sports by Leeds & Allman (college textbook, not intended for casual reading) goes into this.  Some fascinating info.  Football was considered an extra curricular activity and frowned upon by many colleges because it took away from other "more worthy" (mainly Olympic sports) activities.  Hence a lot of teams played off campus.  Believe it or not players moved from school to school (sound familiar?) just to play sports (mainly football) and many never even bothered to enroll in classes.  This is one of the things that led to the creation of the NCAA (in a roundabout way).

If you can find a used version it's a great read if you're into economics, finances & sports.  As just a "sports" book it's pretty dry though.  Lot's of math and numbers but some cool "back stories" none the less.  Someone with an Economics and/or Finance background would find it pretty "spicy".  Someone just interested in some sports history and/or stories will find it painfully boring.  Even though in most people's opinions football players are just "dumb jocks" I'm in the former category.  I always liked long travel away games as it gave me time to study.

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

A 6-9 week run like we had then wasn't going to replace anybody that's been called up. We may have been more visible from the Twitter "experts" but we'd still be in the AAC.

You may be right but "momentum" and "positioning" have more influence than you might suspect.  A good AD can sell a program that's on an upswing as evidenced by recent success and the (then) current position in the polls.  I actually don't think you'd replace anyone that got "called up" inasmuch as I think USF & UCF would have been viewed as a "2fer".  The Florida market has value and in the current climate the deeper the Big "whatever" could sink their teeth into the Florida market the better.

2 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

"College football is meant to be played on campus".  Not originally.  In fact, in the early days of college football a lot of teams were fielded with non-students.  The Economics of Sports by Leeds & Allman (college textbook, not intended for casual reading) goes into this.  Some fascinating info.  Football was considered an extra curricular activity and frowned upon by many colleges because it took away from other "more worthy" (mainly Olympic sports) activities.  Hence a lot of teams played off campus.  Believe it or not players moved from school to school (sound familiar?) just to play sports (mainly football) and many never even bothered to enroll in classes.  This is one of the things that led to the creation of the NCAA (in a roundabout way).

If you can find a used version it's a great read if you're into economics, finances & sports.  As just a "sports" book it's pretty dry though.  Lot's of math and numbers but some cool "back stories" none the less.  Someone with an Economics and/or Finance background would find it pretty "spicy".  Someone just interested in some sports history and/or stories will find it painfully boring.  Even though in most people's opinions football players are just "dumb jocks" I'm in the former category.  I always liked long travel away games as it gave me time to study.

****, thanks for that lesson on early college football. Really had no clue about that ......... but still think it's meant to be played on campus now.  :shade:

Just now, BullShirt said:

You may be right but "momentum" and "positioning" have more influence than you might suspect.  A good AD can sell a program that's on an upswing as evidenced by recent success and the (then) current position in the polls.  I actually don't think you'd replace anyone that got "called up" inasmuch as I think USF & UCF would have been viewed as a "2fer".  The Florida market has value and in the current climate the deeper the Big "whatever" could sink their teeth into the Florida market the better.

As a fourth team from the AAC ..... possibly.

2 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

And please don't overlook the "A good AD" part.  It's vital.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

Talking about college football in the early days.  Sadly we weren't around in the early days and then even in our early days we didn't have football!