• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's the Enigma

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

RonMC-  I love ya.... I do not mind if he has to excuse them... Most coaches out there realize that it is difficult to build a team with bad bricks.... A coach cannot get where he needs to go without trashing the bad bricks.  A coach cannot be a buddy he needs to be more of a father figure, get off RonMC and let him do his job!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest heffalump

RMC should be nicknamed the enigma.  That's why he cut Sills.  HE wanted the nickname for himself 'cuz what he does is very much not comprehendable.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

Well if doesn't want to build a team with bad bricks, don't get them. He wasn't forced to offer Sills a scholarship.

If the team wins 10-12 games this year I am happy with the results. As long we are hustling and competitive.

But we should see improvement from last years team though.

How can anyone fault the coach over a kid leaving when they don't even know the reason he was let go?  

You can't hang on to everyone regardless of their behavior, academic acuity or otherwise.  Hard decisions sometimes have to be made.  Coach tried to make it work for Sills - which is more than many other coaches can say.  It didn't work, but at least the kid got a chance.  More than he would have had without Coach walking into his life.

Had we kept Sills only to find out about indiscretions or academic problems down the road, there would be an equal number of people faulting the coach for trying too hard to keep someone that simply did not fit the profile of a student-athlete.

Better now than later.  Nice effort coach.  I respect your judgment and integrity.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Well if doesn't want to build a team with bad bricks, don't get them. He wasn't forced to offer Sills a scholarship.

If the team wins 10-12 games this year I am happy with the results. As long we are hustling and competitive.

But we should see improvement from last years team though.

You need to look at sills as just an extra warm body... a gamble with no penalty if it goes bad.

had he not come at all... we still wouldn't have had anyone else in that spot he is occupying... heck, we don't have a full roster with him.

Him leaving doesn't change much... it only means our gamble didn't pay off, but the cost is nothing.

We have the same roster we would have had if he didn't come.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Furthermore, Sills did not look impressive at all in practice. He'd have to run drills two and three times to get them right and often required specific attention from coaches on fundamental things like how to jump and maintain ballance. He did not look good at all.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

had he not come at all... we still wouldn't have had anyone else in that spot he is occupying...

Do you know that for a fact? There are kids who join a team during the summer all the time, to include schools at the highest level of competition. It bothers me that McCullum is willing to take these kinds of risks with players who "as expected fell off early", especially when we are making the leap to a very tough playing schedule. I would rather be concerned with building it the right way instead of taking these kinds of gambles.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

i do know that because we don't even have a full roster... if there was someone else that COULD have been here, he would have since we have room.

Guest S.  Bien

Then why do I fel that this is a "repeat" of every year under RMc. I feel as though I have just been punched in the stomach....

That sounds more like a hallucination, unless you've been standing to close to RMC and he really punched you in the stomach.

Sorry, I am not a doctor and cannot explain why you feel like that.  However, I can say given the caliber of players we've got commitments from right now I can say pretty certainly that there were none available (or at least that would have been willing to look at us) when we took Sills commitment.  Sills had a reputation and some talent, we didn't have much options so we took a chance.  Sills told Coach m all the right things, he made huge promises to coach, and coach agreed to take him but on a very short leash, it was worth a shot and it didn't pan out.  

Anyone that thought this year wasn't going to be a tough one and just a transition season needed their head examined.  The best record we could probably hope for was last season's, and hopefully pull an upset or two.  The key is to get guys like Howard, Buckley, and Richardson some seasoning as they wait for the calvary to arrive in the face of Curry, Thomas, Jones, and possibly another four star player.  Don't worry helps on its way.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Isn't that what Custer said when he was surronded by the Indians ?