• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

was it cheating, or just bad technique?  i didn't see the reason for the DQ yet... but she is 15... if she took a bad drop, it MAY have been cheating or it MAY have been an error.

This isn't like steroids, where if you took em... you are a cheater... end of story.

It still may have been cheating, but i can understand a 15 year old screwing up a drop by taking 2 clublengths when they should have take 1, or accidentally taking a drop closer to the hole, or screwing up a drop on a regular yellow hazard and dropping it like it was a lateral hazard.  There are so many variations on the drop.  

Wie's disqualification put in motion by reporterAssociated Press

PALM DESERT, Calif. -- Michelle Wie's pro debut made her look like an amateur Sunday when she was disqualified for taking a bad drop from the bushes in the third round of the Samsung World Championship.

Annika blows away the field

Lost amid the hype of 16-year-old Michelle Wie's professional debut -- pre-disqualification, of course -- Annika Sorenstam showed her star quality at nearly every turn at Bighorn.

Sorenstam

Sorenstam closed with a 3-under 69 on a rainy Sunday afternoon in the desert to win the Samsung World Championship by eight strokes. Sorenstam, who finished at 18-under 270, won for the eighth time this season. Full story

More on Michelle Wie's DQ:

• Adelson: The eyes have it

• Weekly 18: Under a microscope

• Sirak: Wordless war

• Wie devastated by ruling  

Talk about a rude welcome less than two weeks after turning pro.

First, Annika Sorenstam blew away the field to win by eight shots, even with a double bogey on the last hole.

Then, the 16-year-old Wie no sooner had signed for a 74 to finish fourth -- $53,126 -- that LPGA Tour officials took her out to the seventh hole to discuss a drop she took the day before.

Nearly two hours later, she was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Because Wie dropped the ball closer to the hole -- by 3 inches according to her, by about a foot according to the rules officials -- she should have added two strokes to her third-round 71.

"I learned a great lesson," Wie said, her voice choking with emotion. "From now on, I'll call a rules official no matter where it is, whether its 3 inches or 100 yards. I respect that."

Wie hit a 5-wood into a Gold Lantana bush Saturday and was barely able to find it. She told her playing partner, Grace Park, she was taking an unplayable lie, dropped away from the bush, then chipped to 15 feet and made the par. It was a critical par save, and Wie steadied herself to get within five shots of the lead.

Michael Bamberger, a reporter for Sports Illustrated, told tour officials Sunday afternoon that he was concerned about the drop. Rules officials Jim Haley and Robert O. Smith reviewed tape from NBC Sports before taking Wie and caddie Greg Johnston to the seventh green after the tournament ended Sunday.

"If I had to make the ruling based on the videotape, to me it was inconclusive," Smith said.

He had Johnston and Wie show him where the ball was in the bushes, then where they dropped. They paced it off, then used string to measure the distance and determined it to be slightly closer.

"The Rules of Golf are based on facts," Smith said. "They had to tell us where it was. The fact was, the ball was closer to the hole by 12 to 15 inches."

Wie took three unplayable lies during the tournament, all without the help of rules officials. She twice asked for help, including a favorable ruling from Haley on Friday when she asked for a free drop because of bees swarming in a desert bush on the 14th hole.

She took this drop with confidence, placing tees in the ground from where her ball was in the bush, and within two club lengths of that spot. Asked by Bamberger after the third round Saturday about her drop, Wie said she used "the triangle thing to make sure that you're not closer."

"I don't feel like I cheated," Wie said Sunday. "I was honest out there. I did what I thought was right. I was pretty confident. If I did it again, I'd still do that. It looked right to me."

Johnston, who has spent the last 12 years caddying for Juli Inkster, got into a heated discussion with Bamberger as Wie and her family left Bighorn in a steady rain.

Johnston was bothered that Bamberger, who was at the seventh green when Wie took the drop, waited a day before raising it with tour officials. Had she been notified Saturday before signing her card, she would not have been disqualified.

Bamberger said he paced it off after Wie, playing in the final group Saturday, finished the hole.

"I did it in crude way -- 'Let's see what she has to say.' I was hopeful she could convince me," in the Saturday interview, Bamberger said. "I thought about it more and was just uncomfortable that I knew something. Integrity is at the heart of the game. I don't think she cheated. I think she was just hasty."

Asked why he didn't bring it up before the third round ended, Bamberger said, "That didn't occur to me. I was still in my reporter's mode. I wanted to talk to her first."

Ultimately, Wie made quite a splash in her professional debut -- just not the way she intended. And she wound up stealing all the attention from Sorenstam, who turned in one of her most dominant performances of the year.

Sorenstam cares more about winning than sending emphatic statements, yet she managed to do both Sunday.

"It's obviously very satisfying," Sorenstam said. "It's a big week for many reasons."

Asked about those reasons, she talked about joining Mickey Wright as the only players to win the same tournament five times since the LPGA Tour began in 1950 and clinching the LPGA Tour money title.

But there was more.

"I want to play well when everyone is talking about someone else," she said. "I'm very competitive."

She started with a four-shot lead over Gloria Park, built her lead to nine shots at the turn and led by as many as 10 shots until hitting into the desert and making double bogey on the last hole for a 3-under 69.

Even that became a mess.

The LPGA Tour posted her score as 68 with a bogey on the last hole, and no one knew she made double bogey until her press conference. The volunteer keeping score didn't realize Sorenstam took a penalty shot for an unplayable lie, and while Sorenstam signed for the right score, it wasn't verified because the rules officials were busy with Wie.

Lost in the disqualification was Sorenstam's eighth victory of the year. She finished at 18-under 270 to finish eight shots ahead of 19-year-old rookie Paula Creamer, and earn $212,500, pushing her over $2 million for the fifth straight season. She also wrapped up her eighth LPGA Tour player of the year award.

Creamer, whose two victories this year include a seven-shot win in France, holed a wedge shot for eagle on the 12th hole and shot 70 to finish second.

"I know what it feels like now to be just crushed," Creamer said. "Annika was probably just sending a statement to the world saying, 'I'm still here. I'm still the best player.' "

doesn't sound like cheating, sounds like a judgement error.  

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, plus she's hot.  I'd let it slide...

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

uei-she is 15

she isn't even  developed

what a perv

dq for poor judgment?  ok

yes... poor judgement... she thought she was doing the drop right, and ended up doing it wrong.  Golf is a game of very strict rules.  She messed up and paid the penalty.  

Next time, she'll be sure to have a judge come over and make sure she is doing it correctly.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

The thing that's wrong is that a "spectator" (to use the LPGA rule official's terminology) can simply walk up and cast doubt on something that happened over 24 hours ago. Where do you draw the line? Maybe the next time I'm at a golf tournament, I'll walk up to the rules official and start talking about some player I don't like. (Not saying the guy doesn't like Michelle Wie, but consider the ramifications of this to all spectators & players.) I'm pretty sure every player out there has misjudged a lie by a few inches at some point in their career. To me, this thing stinks because Michelle is being scrutinized in a way that no other player is. It's also a little fishy that it only came up 29 holes & a day later.

Next time, she'll be sure to have a judge come over and make sure she is doing it correctly.

Yes, and if every player called the official every time they would need a lot more officials, or play would slow down to the point where everyone would be bored out of their skulls and turn the channel. I guess they need to have an official follow Michelle around to ensure no other spectators cast their doubts on her play...

Players do call them over all the time.  And there are a lot of officials... every group or two has one.  That isn't an issue.

It sucks that she is so under the public scrutiny, but that is what she has earned by being a freak of nature.

Yes, everyone probably has misjudged a drop or something and violated a rule... and most would probably turn themselves in... that is one of the great things about the game.  Some wouldn't, of course, but most would.  Michelle probably didn't know she had an errant drop.  Had she thought it was in error, she would have redropped, or added the 2 strokes (if she had completed the hole prior to realizing it).

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Michael Bamberger, a reporter for Sports Illustrated, told tour officials Sunday afternoon that he was concerned about the drop.

WTF?? It's none of his damned business! This is where I think the PGA is off it's rocker. Crap like this and allowing Joe Sixpack to call in and point out something he thinks he saw.......... Freaking ridiculous.