• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Leavitt Media Quotes 10/11

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office:

Coach Jim Leavitt Quotes From Tuesday, October 11, 2005

On Pittsburgh ... “They are a pretty good football team. They lost to Notre Dame, that game had all the hype, they had Nebraska beat and they can very well be undefeated. We might be a little better then we were last year. They did beat the dog out of us last year. It wasn’t much of a game.”

On Pittsburgh QB Tyler Palko ... “He’s very accurate, quick release; he’s a good football player. He tore us up last year.

On the off week ... “It is what it is. We hoped we used it in a favorable way. We had some guys who rested who were banged up a bit. We tried to practice through the week and keep things going. Weather it’s a good time or not, most coaches will say the same thing. We rested out played and worked on fundamentals. I imagine you would get the same answer from every coach in America; and we did a little bit of recruiting. That’s usually your three big things. Weather it came at a good week or not, I don’t know.”

On getting back on the field after a bye week ... “I’m excited and anxious to play. I’m not a guy who likes to sit around much. I’m anxious to see if we can compete with Pitt and go up there and play the panthers.”

On The USF passing game ... “It depends on what we can and cannot do. We’ve thrown and run the ball. We’re going to have to be able to both in order to be successful. We work on both in practice. Hopefully we’ll throw the ball to the right people and they will catch it.”

On the depth of our QB’s ... “I don’t think about negative things, you think about negative things. I just think about Pat (Julmiste) going out and doing well. As the game plays out, we’ll make those decisions. I don’t think well if Pat does bad, what do I do? I don’t think like that.”

On the defensive line ... “We’re a better group with more depth, that’s obvious. Everyone is back. You hope to get better over a year. You’ve added Tim (Jones) in the mix as well as Jason Allen. You’re adding two seniors in or front four with a lot of people back. We’re a little more active.

On putting pressure on Pitt QB Tyler Palko ... “That’s always going to be a key in every season of every game. The better your defensive line is the better you’re going to be. It all starts with your starting four.”

On reducing the amount of penalties ... “Miami has a very good defense and their coverage is pretty tight. There wasn’t a lot of room for error. They worked our O-Line pretty good and go pressure to Pat and Courtney (Denson). You can’t make mistakes at all. We need to play better in the offensive line, and our QB’s need to make better decisions with the ball. We never practice interceptions. You always go out to practice and throw to your guys. Pat has done a pretty good job and he didn’t do as good against Miami and Duke struggled a little bit too. Miami has won a lot of games there. It just doesn’t happen. They are a pretty good team down there. We’ve won a lot of games in Tampa. You just keep practicing and working hard.”

On the rematch of last years Pitt loss ... “You never liked to get whopped on like that. They beat us pretty good. A new year is a new year; different people and different players.”

On USF’s first ever road conference game ... “Every win in the BIG EAST is big. Everyone sees the BE as a great deal of parody. We don’t know until we go through the year. Everyone game is a championship game; regardless. You better be on and play well each week if you think there is any hope at a championship. We need to play a great game because they are a very good football team.”

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

On reducing the amount of penalties ... “Miami has a very good defense and their coverage is pretty tight. There wasn’t a lot of room for error. They worked our O-Line pretty good and go pressure to Pat and Courtney (Denson). You can’t make mistakes at all. We need to play better in the offensive line, and our QB’s need to make better decisions with the ball. We never practice interceptions. You always go out to practice and throw to your guys. Pat has done a pretty good job and he didn’t do as good against Miami and Duke struggled a little bit too. Miami has won a lot of games there. It just doesn’t happen. They are a pretty good team down there. We’ve won a lot of games in Tampa. You just keep practicing and working hard.â€Â

Did he mention penalties? LOL I think he has a mental block on the subject.

Hopefully we’ll throw the ball to the right people and they will catch it.â€Â

Yup. That about sums up our two losses.

On USF’s first ever road conference game ...

"first ever road conference game" ... um, that would be Army in 2003. 28-0 Bulls win. You forgot the words "Big" and "East" there SID Office.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

we are a little bit better than we were last year

understatment of the year