• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Turning point: UM game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

I did see that pass as a key point since if he is able to shake the one guy in front of him, Jackson is off to the races. I really wanted to see that race too. Hard to say if it was THE turning point- but it certainly could have changed the game for us had Jackson slipped past the UM defense.

When we did turn the ball over, we did not give Miami a first down-- and forced them to kick a field goal. That was great defense there. But basically-- the first quarter lost us this game-- very much like the 1st quarter against PSU.

If I had to pick a turning point, two come to mind:

1) The first one may have happened up in the booth. At some point, we basically abandoned the running game. With a guy like Andre Hall, I feel you need to give him his touches. It gave me the impression of previous seasons where a failed play would cause us to avoid it. Miami didn't seem worried about our pass which leads to #2....

2) Putting in Denson. I know we were trying to shake stuff up or perhaps give PJ a chance to collect himself. Regardless, it seems pretty much the concensus that Courtney is not quite ready to be thrown into that role at this point. Plus-- I worry that it will crush PJs mental focus if he feels the coaches have an itchy trigger finger.

Those are just opinions-- I think anyone who feels we did not look at least decent against this team is delusional. No-- not a clean or fantastic game. A disaster-- not even close. Just a good effort and some bad breaks and plays here and there. Just remember folks-- we beat UL, a team most said (on this board too) we had very little chance of beating. Cut the team and coaches some slack for that reason alone.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

we were way to predicatable

running on first and second downs and passing on third

same old

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  145

we were way to predicatable

running on first and second downs and passing on third

same old

I disagree somewhat (big surprise). I'm watching the game right now. We started out with a pass (Jackson drop). Followed by a run by Hall for 8 yards and then a swing pass to Hall to get a first down.

At some point though-- we went away from that play calling--- not sure why other than Miami was stopping most of our normally effective play calls.

We did abandon the over the middle passing for the most part it seems. Saw that against UL too.

I get the impression steve-- that when you say "same old" you are saying "look at USF-- losing again" as if we jut lost a game to Army.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

Turning point in the game was when they stopped servig beer at half-time.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

It will be up to our O line to protect him...I

And the wr's to catch the **** ball ........ It's kind of ridiculous to say that the first play was a turning point but I agree completely.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Rewatched most of the first quarter on the DVR last nite.  USF was moving the ball decently at first.  I actually forgot about a few decent runs Hall had had but then again it was hard to see from the corner on the opposite side of the that dump called the OB.  Bulls fans we are so fortunate to have RJS but that's fodder for a different thread.

Comments on What I Saw:

Ammari Jackson's drop - He started to run before pulling the ball in due to wanting to make something happen.  He had room for major YAC too.  That's just a missed oportunity caused by the OB/Miami home field mystic.  That can't happen but Jackson prolly aint' the first WR to do that.

Punting to Hester - Either bad coaching decision or poor player/punter performance.  We absolutely couldn't afford to that.

Julmiste's first INT - Again another mistake caused by the OB/Miami home field advantage.  He's throwin' off his back foot.

After that being down 17 to zip the Miami D could just tee off on Hall and Pat was just pressing to hard.  You can't overcome a 17 point deficit on the road vs. one of the fastest Ds in the nation.  I guarantee the Bull's will not see another D like PSU or UM the rest of the way except if our FootBulls win the Big East and play in the BCS.

BTW, our Bull's have looked bad against two very good teams with great defenses.  The Bull D has been stellar all 4 games as far as I'm concerned thanx to 4, 6, 51, 56, 57, 59 & 99.  PSU may be a top 3 team in the B10 and Miami still could be the highest ranking ACC team come bowl time if they beat VPI and VPI beats FSU.