• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

From SUN SPORTS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Louisville fans were posting messages on USFNation.com, the Bulls' Scout.com affiliate website, congratulating USF on the win. A Penn State fan thanked the Bulls for validating PSU's win over South Florida earlier this season. Fans from West Virginia chimed in. Miami fans posted notes saying how much they were looking forward to playing the Bulls next week. And my favorite - a random Cal Bears fan posted a note with the heading, "Who ARE you guys???"

Who are they, indeed. To recap, from the blog entry in this space a mere 24 hours before this historic win: the Bulls of the University of South Florida, a program whose storied history goes all the way back to, umm, 1997, were the 9th-best rushing team in the nation entering the weekend. USF had the 5th-best passing defense, the 8th-best total defense, and the 17th-best scoring defense in all the land - and all of that was before they held the high-flying Cardinal offense to 104 rushing yards and 14 points on Saturday.

Andre Hall, the best running back in the state, did his part with 83 rushing yards and two touchdowns, but it was the previously unheralded Amarri Jackson who will be dancing through Bobby Petrino's nightmares for the next several weeks.

Jackson, a 6-5 sophomore from Riverview High School in Sarasota, ran for two touchdowns on reverses and passed for another, not to mention a 57 yard catch-and-run on the Bulls' second play of the game that set up Hall's first TD. In three prior games this season, Jackson had totaled 3 receptions for 15 yards. Hello, big time.

The night before the game, we had Josh Newberg, the administrator of USFNation.com, as a guest on Sports Talk Live. Josh and I traded e-mail before and after the show, and he allowed as how his appearance on Sun Sports would be great press for the Bulls. Josh, I think your football team took care of the press. And even though I completely blindsided you by asking you to pick the winner, you're welcome. Hey, making the guests and analysts look smart is part of my job description.

It was USF's first win over a ranked opponent in six tries, it stopped Louisville's nine game winning streak, and it all came in the first ever Big East game for the Bulls. Biggest win in school history? Duh.

Perhaps even more importantly for the University of South Florida, the win over Louisville lifts the program a full notch higher than UCF, Florida International, and Florida Atlantic in the race to be included in conversation with the Big Three of Florida, Florida State, and Miami. We often field e-mails from fans of the Other Four, asking us why we don't bring more coverage of their teams during our Chevy Tailgate Saturday block of programming. Officially, there are three answers we give them, having to do with the following factors:

-Our contractual agreements with Florida and FSU,

-The contractual agreements between those other schools, their respective conferences, and competing networks,

-And the laws of supply and demand with our viewers and advertisers.

Unofficially, my answer has always been, "Just win, baby." Win meaningful games, force yourself into the discussion, and we'll be more than happy to give you the love you deserve. Just win. We don't discriminate, and there's no agenda. It's not about money, or contracts, or broadcast rights. It's about winning. That's my answer, anyway.

Congratulations, Bulls. You just won. Welcome to the show.

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/443951.html

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

And we need to keep this momentum with a victory at Miami.

Go BULLS !!!