• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF catches UM's attention

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

USF catches UM's attention

By Jorge Milian

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 26, 2005

CORAL GABLES ? With a difficult series of season-opening games completed with Saturday's victory against Colorado, the University of Miami figured to enter the portion of its schedule where the Hurricanes could coast for a few weeks.

That was before the South Florida Bulls pulled the weekend's biggest upset by demolishing No. 9 Louisville 45-14 Saturday night in Tampa. The victory was USF's first against a ranked opponent and halted the Cardinals' nine-game win streak, the third longest in Division I-A.

The Bulls (3-1) play the Hurricanes (2-1) on Saturday night at the Orange Bowl in the first meeting between the two schools.

"That's going to be a wake-up call for our players to let us know what we're in store for," said UM coach Larry Coker. "There's no free lunch."

There likely won't be one for USF, either, especially against a Miami defense that is establishing itself as the strength of the ninth-ranked Hurricanes. Not counting a touchdown and field goal allowed to Clemson in overtime, UM has permitted 30 points in 12 quarters of regulation this season.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes gave up only a 58-yard, fourth-quarter field goal by Colorado kicker Mason Crosby in the 23-3 victory over the Buffaloes in the Orange Bowl.

The Hurricanes did not register a sack but forced three turnovers and allowed Colorado only two trips into the red zone. The Buffaloes failed to score either time.

Strong safety Brandon Meriweather continued his impressive play this season with 12 tackles and an interception, and middle linebacker Leon Williams had his best game, piling up seven tackles while helping to hold Colorado's heralded run offense to 103 yards.

"We have a chance to be outstanding on defense," Coker said.

The one area of concern for Coker is the secondary, where depth has become a problem.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes lost starting cornerback Marcus Maxey to a sprained left ankle and backup cornerback Randy Phillips with a knee injury.

Maxey said after the game that he expects to play against USF. Phillips, a freshman from Glades Central High School, is definitely out for Saturday's game and possibly longer.

Randy Phillips Sr. said Sunday that an MRI revealed his son had a sprained knee and not ligament damage as feared.

The Hurricanes already are without starting free safety Anthony Reddick, who sustained a season-ending knee injury in the opener against Florida State. Backup cornerbacks Glenn Sharpe and Carlos Armour also will be sidelined for all of 2005 with knee injuries.

Coker said he was considering moving receivers Terrell Walden and Tanard Davis, two former defensive backs, to the secondary to help with the depth crunch.

"With so many one-back, no-back teams, we need those numbers back there," Coker said. "I am (concerned). We're fine now. We just can't afford to lose more players."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/09/26/a9c_um_0926.html

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

It's a **** shame their admitted weakness is in the secondary....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

KEY to us competing in this game is our O-LINE again. They have been stellar so far. But UM has one of best d-lines in country they rotate about 7 guys and all our all american type of guys. We give pat and andre room to roam and throw and we will compete and give miami all they can handle.

Whoa nelly! Go BULLS!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

this should be interesting