• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why arent we USF fans acknowledging this rivalry?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

[quote author=BullDoug  Ã‚ "This L streak significantly takes away any glory from a USF victory. " 

Precisely!  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I am a USF fan and I agree that this is a great rivalry comming to us:

1) These boards have been lighting up! The interest in this game will be much bigger than any Louisville game will be.

2) Our schools aren't THAT far apart athletically. UCF has a NFL figurehead who is still very involved in the school. As well they have beaten a top BCS school in Alabama (i think in 2001 or something like that)

3) Our conference hasn't done enough to separate itself from teh C-USa other than having 1 BCS affliation. The Big East will pull away one day, but as of now the ConferenceRPI has C-USA over Big East.

4) It will be YEARS before a Miami, Florida State, or Florida recognize us as the "4th" team. None of those schools will give us a yearly home and home rivalry. Miami and Florida start playing again in 2008, those schools will play us occasionally, but they have to make their money and won't give up a home game to come play us unless the deal is extraordinary (i.e. Miami/UCF's deal, UCF dropped their pants for miami).

5) Just because they aren't a BCS conference doesn't mean it can't be a fun rivalry. My Uncle played at Colorado and one of his favorite games (and possibly their most intense rivalry) is the Colorado-Colorado State game. That game brings as much intensity as any Colorado game. Cincinnatti/Miami (OH) are still playing too.

Please don't treat this game as nothing, it is a great opportunity to get exposure for USF and the Big East.

PS- I have heard from reliable sources that Lee Corso will be talking about this game on College Gameday (he does support UCF football).

Honestly Joe, you sound more like a UCF fan moonlighting on this board as a USF fan.

1) It's game week, so this board should be busy. I am sure that Louisville and Oregon State's boards are equally busy. I'm sure the Louisville fans will be on here on Sunday.

2) I believe their win against Alabama came in a year when Alabama went 3-8. Not "top BCS" by any means.

3) How many C-USA teams in the Top 25? How many in the Top 15? Look at how the old Big East teams are at the head of the class in the ACC. THe Big East will need a couple of years to rebound, but it will rise again.

4) We have the opportunity to be considered the 4th team real fast. Having BCS affilaition and the opportunity to go to a major bowl game will certainly get their attention. Miami returns a game here down the road. We play UF. FSU won't play us. The money arguement for them is garbage. They have enough money to where they can return a game, especially now that 12 games a year can be played starting in 2006.

5) Agree with you there.

Going to be a tough game, but one in which USF should win.

Lee Corso is a moron. Remember in 2003 when he said that Louisville and TCU would be undefeated when they met? That night we beat Louisville and the following week we lost a tough one to TCU.

• Content Count:  4,517

Honestly Joe, you sound more like a UCF fan moonlighting on this board as a USF fan.

Looking at most of his posts, I had the same feeling....

Lee Corso is a moron. Remember in 2003 when he said that Louisville and TCU would be undefeated when they met? That night we beat Louisville and the following week we lost a tough one to TCU.

Corso will predict a UCF win. He as much as already did in the post-game at USC.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

OK...just for arguments sake.

Let's say it is a rivalry. A second-tier rivalry for two teams who are years removed from the Big Three.

Now what?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Corso will predict a UCF win. He as much as already did in the post-game at USC.

It's hard to base that off of one game, especially since we hadn't played at that point in time.

Bye weeks can be both good and bad. You get your rest and heal some injuries, but there is also some rust after not playing against someone for more than 2 weeks.

It's hard to base that off of one game, especially since we hadn't played at that point in time.

We're talking Corso here ........

OK...just for arguments sake.

Let's say it is a rivalry. A second-tier rivalry for two teams who are years removed from the Big Three.

Now what?

1) Schedule the game every year as either the first game of the season or the last -- being careful not to schedule the game on the same day as Florida-Florida State.  Early and late weekends offer greater chance for the game to be carried on national TV (fewer games with which to compete).

2) Create a REAL trophy that teams would be happy to display, carry around.

3) Create a vistors PARKING area for the UCF fans to tailgate.  While I think this should be in Valrico, it probably could be on the north side of the stadium.

4) Expand the number of tickets offered to the visiting school.  The Citrus Bowl is larger than RayJay, so the visiting school should get 15,000 tickets.  (This may need to be reduced if/when the on-campus stadium is build at UCF).

5) Build some hype around the game by scheduling on-campus events, including a pep-rally on either Thursday or Friday night (Thursday so the football coaches can attend, then make it out to HS games on Friday night).  Both campuses could do this kind of thing.

6) Market the game by getting a major state-wide company to sponsor promotional efforts (Checkers, Beef O Brady's, Outback, etc) -- TV commercials across the state, giveaways at restaurants, etc.

7) Organize a "visitors rally" in Orlando for USF fans and in  Tampa for UCF fans the night before the game... I could imagine Channelside would make a great place for to host the UCF fans for games in Tampa... and USF fans could gather at City Walk or Church Street for Orlando games.

8) Sheriff's proteges could head to the UCF campus and put up signs about how much UCF sucks, maybe throw some green and gold TP on trees by the admin building, just generally cause mayhem...

9) Involve the corporate world in buying tickets through promotional contests for the companies that send the most employees to the game... or have their offices/business decorate with USF (Tampa) or UCF (Orlando) paraphenalia...

The point is, once you have an acknowledge rivalry, there is a lot you can do... it's hard to do this for evey game... and we don't want to outshine Homecoming...

But these are just a few ideas off the top of my head this morning.

3) Create a vistors PARKING area for the UCF fans to tailgate.  While I think this should be in Valrico,

I don't think velcro would appreciate that ....