• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

X's and O's

Guest UCF Mike

Guest UCF Mike

Lets get a thread that talks about X's and O's !!!

I have been on the other State of Florida Football board and think that a lot of things have to go right for UCF to win this Saturday.

On offense UCF needs to establish the run and shorten the game in my opinion by burning clock, in an attempt to keep Hall and company off the field.  So I'm expecting a power running game and a short passing game by UCF to setup a few deep pass plays to UCF's WRs.  I know USF has speed in the secondary, but I think there may some plays for UCF to make there.      Any more than 2 UCF turnovers and thats spells big trouble for UCF, especially if UCF can't get those TO's back.  

On defense I have no idea what to expect from UCF.  Statistically UCF had a good performance against South Carolina but they played true freshman that game.   However, 30 yards for the whole game by SC against UCF is a drastic improvement over anything that we saw last year.   I expect Hall to get his yards however in this game, and UCF must limit the big plays to have a chance.  

Generally, I think USF can and will score on UCF, and that to be in the game UCF must :

-establish the run, to limit the opportunities for USF by keeping the USF offense off the field,  

-capitalize when in the red zone,

-win the turnover battle

My fear is that UCF's pass defense still is not there yet and PJ will have success early, which will open it up for Hall (not that he needs the help, but it will get real ugly in my opinion if PJ can throw with success early)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

i don't post here often but i think you make some valid points i think the key to usf winning is to

1. defense must play disciplined and not overpursue, that freshman rb smith has decent speed and we don't need to give them any gimme touchdowns on long runs, if they want to score make ucf dink and dunk it down the field.

2. penalties, keep the emotions semi in check, no dumb personal foul penalties that keep drives alive, so far we're much improved than last year, during the first half of the famu game i believe we only had 2 penalties, then we started bringing in the subs.

3. win turnover battle, pj needs to make smart decisions with the ball and hall can't cough it up like he did against famu.

4. convert on third down, this is where pj really needs to step it up and become consistent, we need to get better at sustaining drives and keeping the defense off the field.

5. special teams needs to come up with a big play or two and our new kicker needs to step it up.

if we do most of these, it should be a 2 touchdown victory, the ucf game is worrisome and i'm glad its at home, but if our defense stays aggressive and hall gets his yards we should be okay. i do know leavitt's not taking this game lightly, this should be a very entertaining game.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I totally agree.  Our defense holds the game in their hands, but stranger things have happened.  From alot of posts I've read, many USF fans think this is a gimmie.  

BY NO MEANS IS THIS A GIMMIE.  UCF IS DANGEROUS.  FOR THOSE WHO THINK OTHERWISE, YOU ARE MISTAKEN.  USF SHOULDN'T TAKE THIS GAME FOR GRANTED......

Go Bulls!

USF Keys to the Game:

1) Hall of Fame: Andre Hall needs to run with wild abandon.  If he can average 5-6 yards per carry and get 20-25 carries, then USF will be successful at moving the ball.  That's not easy to do against UCF's front seven.

2) The New and Improved Julmiste.  If the Pat Julmiste of 2003/early 2004 shows up for the game, USF could be in trouble.  However, if Julmiste can complete 60% of his passes - many of which will be deep, then USF can do well. UCF allowed USC QB Mitchell to go 18/23 for 330 yards, including a 64 yard pass and a 49 yard touchdown.

3) Stand Like a Stone Wall.  The Bulls defense will have to play a strong running defense.  Smith and Peters can run the ball well.  Luckily, Moffett is not much of a running QB (a la Penn State's Robinson) - but he is an accurate passer.  Against USC he was 27 of 39 for 258 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and was sacked 6 times.  If USF can hold UCF under 100 yards rushing and put pressure on Moffet, it could be a long afternoon for the Knights.

UCF Keys to the Game:

1) Control the Ball: UCF was in a position to beat USC because they controlled the ball for 35:30 - a difference of 11 minutes.  This was helped by a defenese that allowed 1-8 3rd down conversions and recovered 3 fumbles.  UCF's only turnover was a Moffett interception in the 2nd quarter.

2) Stretch the Field: USF's biggest weakness seems to be in giving up one or two long plays every game.  Penn State had two touchdown drives that were fueled by runs of 61 and 70 yards.  In 2004, several of USF's losses came in a similar manner.  If Peters or Smith can break a long run (longest last week was 16 yards), or Moffett can throw a long pass play (longest last week was 27 yards), UCF's will be in a better position.

3) Under Pressure: The UCF defensive front will need to put pressure on Julmiste.  The Knights sacked USC's Mitchell 4 times, while USF has not allowed a sack all season.  Julmiste is known to have happy feet when he is pressured, and can make mistakes.

Other Keys for both teams:

- Field position (Punting and kick returning will be critical)

- Turnovers (USF is +1 on the season, UCF is +2)

- Penalties (limit those that kill drives or continue drives for opponents)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

If UCF can not establish a run, they are sunk.  Being one dimensional on O will make this game ugly for the GKrs.  They will havta rely on field position, specialty teams and turnovers to win, basically luck.  I will be mildly surprised if UCF can run on a much improved Bull D.  I am not expecting any of the D mistakes seen in Happy Valley either.  I expect the UCF WRs to match well w/the USF DBs but I expect major pressure for Moffet from the J. Simmons, T. Royal & T. Jones.

When the Bulls are on O, UCF must stop Hall which will be a task.  It will be a tuff task for a smallish UCF LB & DL core.  USF should rush/drive the ball well late in the second qtr and after the second half of the third.  Putting 8 in the box may be required by UCF which will make it easier on Peyton to catch jump balls.  Hall will prolly have a 120 plus yard game & maybe 1-2 TDs.  If Hall does get shut out of his 100 yard game then the stadium will be quiet.  The Bull WRs maybe better than the USC group as a whole.  The UCF secondary will be slightly challenged in size.  If the dropsies vanish, I see 2-3 TDs from the Bull WRs.

I am expecting Leavitt to put it to UCF if he can w/a gluttony of trick plays and serious zone blitz packages.  If the Bulls get up on UCF early I do not expect a let up like USC had.  The USF Florida players are gonna put a foot on the Knights throat and apply pressure.  First strings are in until the end unless its a 4-5 TD lead in the fourth.  That fourth place in Florida is major bragging rights since there are 7 D1As in FL now.  Mingling after the game w/enemy may be ugly & dangerous.  UCF has so much to gain & USF has so much to lose.  

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

It boils down to - if UCF puts consistent pressure on PJ, and shut down Hall we lose.  We definetly need to use PLAY ACTION (something we don't do nearly often enough in my opinion.  Maybe PJ just can't do it?) to keep LB's honest.  If Hall gets off and alleviates pressure on PJ, look out!  Our receivers tower over the ucf DB's, mismtches galore will be apparent in the secondary.

I think it's funny that the one thread about actual game strategy is the shortest one.  

Beastie, when are you headed out for Tampa?  I'm leaving Friday around noon, but most likely will be in Ocala Friday night.  Bringing my brother to his first Bulls game on Saturday.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Joe, I'm flying down Thrusday night.  Got relatively cheap airline tickets.  Looking forward to the game already.

Guest UCF Mike

beastiebull

I noticed that also, the one thread about the game and what each time needs to do is ignored for the most part compared to other threads about attendance and captioining pictures.

No doubt USF Recievers have a height (and in some cases speed also, which is a bad combo for UCF fans) advantage over UCF corners.  Thats why the less time on the field the better from my point of view (unless of course they are the field less because of long touchdown catches...   ;))

The way I see it corners are only as good as the front 6 putting pressure on the QB.  PSU had all world corners but we played well against them due to our offensive line.  If we didn't drop as many passes it could have been a different story.  I like USF to use this to their advantage by completing some balls over the top to the taller receivers, and then mix in Andre.

Use the pass to set up the stronger running game!  Especially on first down.

Go Bulls!