• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Announce BIG EAST Schedule

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF Insider Ticket Info

Bulls Announce BIG EAST Schedule; League Opener Jan. 5

Tampa, Fla. – The USF men’s basketball program has announced the BIG EAST portion of its 2005-06 campaign, marking its Jan. 5 opener versus West Virginia at the USF Sun Dome as the official start date for a new era in the team’s history.

The Bulls will tip-off their historic move into the elite conference with a home matchup against a WVU squad that advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight last year after claiming the runner-up position in the BIG EAST.

“The strength of any conference is its balance and that is especially true with the BIG EAST,” head coach Robert McCullum said.  “To open against a team like West Virginia, a program that played as well as any in the nation last March, is obviously a big challenge.  It also provides an early opportunity for our fans to see the caliber of collegiate basketball they have been yearning for.”

Including the 13-game non-league schedule, the Bulls will face a total of 11 teams with postseason experience in 2004-05 and that number could increase based on the squad’s regular season tournament matchups at Missouri State and Hawaii.

“This schedule is easily the most challenging we have had during my tenure at USF,” McCullum said.  “To have two NCAA-potential programs in Michigan (2004 NIT Champions) and UAB (back-to-back NCAA appearances) playing on your home court in non-conference action is rare.  We will be extremely well-prepared for BIG EAST play when January arrives.”

The 16-game BIG EAST slate features home contests with the Mountaineers, St. John’s, Villanova, DePaul, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Connecticut and Georgetown.  The Bulls will make road trips to Syracuse, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Louisville, Notre Dame, Providence and Rutgers.  Seton Hall, Villanova and Notre Dame will all be first-time opponents for USF.

USF fans will be treated to visits from five BIG EAST squads with postseason appearances in 2004-05.  West Virginia, Villanova and Connecticut all made runs in the NCAA Tournament and both DePaul and Georgetown were invited to participate in the National Invitation Tournament.

“With the quality of the programs in the BIG EAST, we are going to be able to feature an outstanding home schedule every year,” McCullum said.  “Teams like Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville will all be making trips to Tampa in future seasons.  If you combine that with a challenging non-conference schedule, USF fans will have numerous opportunities to see top-level competition.”

The BIG EAST schedule makers provided USF with an evenly distributed home and road schedule.  The Bulls’ longest conference home stand is only two games, but back-to-back contests are also the longest duration the team will be away from Tampa.  

USF’s longest overall home streak is three games, which begins with non-league action versus Bethune-Cookman (Dec. 28) and concludes with the BIG EAST opener against WVU.  The Bulls also face UAB on Dec. 30.

Game times and complete television information will be released at a later date.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

Thu. Jan. 5  WEST VIRGINIA

Sun. Jan. 8  @ Syracuse

Sat. Jan. 14 ST. JOHN'S

Tue. Jan. 17 @ Georgetown

Fri.  Jan. 20 @ Seton Hall

Tue. Jan. 24 VILLANOVA

Tue. Jan. 31 @ Cincinnati

Sat. Feb. 4 DEPAUL

Wed. Feb. 8 SETON HALL

Sat. Feb. 11 @ Louisville

Wed. Feb. 15 @ Notre Dame

Sat. Feb. 18 RUTGERS

Tue. Feb. 21 @ Providence

Sun. Feb. 26 @ Rutgers

Wed. Mar. 1 CONNECTICUT

Sat. Mar. 4 GEORGETOWN

Wed.-Sat. Mar. 8-11  BIG EAST Conference Championship

Okay... looking at this schedule... here are all of the USF HOME games that COULD be played at the St. Pete Times Forum (as in the Forum does not have a conflict on that date):

Fri. Nov 18 ALCORN STATE

Thu. Dec 15 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Thu. Jan. 5  WEST VIRGINIA (Although I believe the Ringling Circus will be at the forum)

Sat. Jan. 14 ST. JOHN'S

Wed. Feb. 8 SETON HALL

Sat. Feb. 18 RUTGERS

Wed. Mar. 1 CONNECTICUT

The remaining home games have a conflict with the Tampa Bay Lightning schedule.

Not much of a choice.  I could see the U Conn game moving down to the St Pete Times Forum as it's not the last home game of the year.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Bulls will be in Hawaii from 21-23 December.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Okay... looking at this schedule... here are all of the USF HOME games that COULD be played at the St. Pete Times Forum (as in the Forum does not have a conflict on that date):

Fri. Nov 18 ALCORN STATE

Thu. Dec 15 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Thu. Jan. 5  WEST VIRGINIA (Although I believe the Ringling Circus will be at the forum)

Sat. Jan. 14 ST. JOHN'S

Wed. Feb. 8 SETON HALL

Sat. Feb. 18 RUTGERS

Wed. Mar. 1 CONNECTICUT

The remaining home games have a conflict with the Tampa Bay Lightning schedule.

Not much of a choice.  I could see the U Conn game moving down to the St Pete Times Forum as it's not the last home game of the year.

UConn would be the perfect one but just wish it was earlier in year for more effect .....

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i really hope they don't move the venue of any of the games, it will really upset the environment, and the arena will look empty, plus students don't even go to the games when its walking distance, they aren't going to go if they have to drive 15 minutes

i really hope they don't move the venue of any of the games, it will really upset the environment, and the arena will look empty, plus students don't even go to the games when its walking distance, they aren't going to go if they have to drive 15 minutes

You bring in UConn downtown and I guarantee it won't look empty ...... and as far as the students are concerned, you already said it, they don't even go to the games within walking distance (Disclaimer: This does not include that great but small group that are in the lower level!). This will hopefully change as we enter the Big East .....

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

right i know, i'm part of that small group in the front section, but wouldn't you rather have the games played on our home court, where its easier for students without cars to possibily go to the game?

right i know, i'm part of that small group in the front section, but wouldn't you rather have the games played on our home court, where its easier for students without cars to possibily go to the game?

I don't have a problem with ONE game a year down there to maybe introduce downtowners to USF hoops who may not otherwise be exposed to it ..... If attendance at the Dome becomes what we hope it does down the line then maybe the downtown won;t be needed ............. unless we outgrow the Dome.  ;)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

...where its easier for students without cars to possibily go to the game?

Well...I've attended games where I could fit ALL OF THE STUDENTS IN ATTENDANCE into my car.