• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF:  Focus on Catching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

USF: Focus on catching

TAMPA - Two days after dropping a frustrating number of passes in a 23-13 loss at Penn State, USF receivers put extra emphasis on catching with good results in practice.

"They caught the ball before the game, too," coach Jim Leavitt said. "These guys have caught the ball well. Why didn't they catch the ball in the game? I don't know. They don't want to drop the ball. They're not doing it on purpose. We just have to coach them better."

Among the last players to leave the field was sophomore Amarri Jackson , who did not have any catches Saturday and dropped a key third-down pass. But after two years of playing only basketball at Hillsborough Community College, he has made good adjustments, Leavitt said.

"He hasn't played football in three years, so just to line up and run a pass route, I told him I was so proud of him," he said.

ALL SAFE: Freshman tight end Ben Busbee returned after flying home to Mobile, Ala., where his family got good news last weekend. His grandmother in Biloxi, Miss., missing for several days since Hurricane Katrina, is okay and staying with relatives after being rescued from her home.

INJURY UPDATE: Safety Danny Verpaele , still with a cast on his injured left ankle, probably will return for USF's home game with Louisville in three weeks, Leavitt said, adding that senior cornerback D'Juan Brown will play Saturday.

Safety Drametrice Smith , who did not travel for Saturday's game, was excused to attend to a family illness. Another defensive back who didn't make the trip, Sam Miller , is getting a look at weakside linebacker.

NEW FACES: Three transfers, receivers Amp Hill and Ryan Gilliam and defensive end Maurice Charles , practiced with the team for the first time Monday. ... Linebacker Scott Williams , who earned all-county honorable mention from the Times last year as a senior at Plant City, joined the team as a walk-on.

Does any1 know anything about LB Scott Williams listed above?  If he was listed as an "all-country honorable mention" then I would assume he was a prized recruit.  So why did he not land a scholarship anywhere?  And will he be eligable to play this season?

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/06/Sports/Running_game_has_Flor.shtml

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Thank God.... If Pat gets them the ball they sure as hell better catch it!

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey. not to discount the honor, but it's all-county, not all-country. i know we didn't write anything about scott during the recruiting process, so not sure what his options were, but leavitt seemed pleased with what he saw of williams on monday. he'll redshirt, but he's at a position where there isn't too much depth, and one where he could easily contribute on special teams down the road ...

greg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

True ... All-County isn't that WONDERFUL, but we know walk-ons can become stars.

Good News that Verpaele may be back in time for L'ville.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Please catch the ball.  Let's get this fixed THIS week!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I have never seen so many dropped passes that is what really killed us along with a bad call on the onside kick

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Thanks Greg, I definatly misread that.  I was thinking all-country, and no scholarship...must be another head case or something lol.  Still all county is pretty good.