• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vince Wilson Says He's USF-Bound

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Welcome aboard Vince.  Bring your brothers too.  ;D

Wilson Says He's USF-Bound

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Aug 20, 2005

TAMPA - Sophomore Vince Wilson, who was North Carolina's No. 2 tailback until leaving UNC this month, said he will transfer to the University of South Florida.

"I decided where I want to be is South Florida," said Wilson, whose release was sent to USF on Friday. "It's home, right here in Florida. When I visited South Florida my senior year at Daytona Beach Mainland, I really did like it. If I would have had an opportunity then, I would have gone to South Florida."

However, Wilson did not meet college entrance requirements until months after February's signing day and he said USF didn't have any available scholarships.

Wilson (5-foot-9, 203) must sit out the 2005 season and will have three years eligibility.

USF coach Jim Leavitt would not comment on Wilson.

SAFETY FIRST: Several starters will be held out today as a precautionary measure when the Bulls hold their only full scrimmage of the fall.

USF already has lost starting FS Danny Verpaele (broken foot) and back-up DE Jarriett Buie (broken ankle) to injuries.

"I feel good about our first team," Leavitt said. "The scrimmage will help solidify some positions."

Junior QB Pat Julmiste and sophomore Courtney Denson remain even in the battle to win the starting position, but Leavitt said freshman Carlton Hill also is looking good.

RETURN GAME: Leavitt said sophomores Jackie Chambers and Amarri Jackson will handle punt returns and Chambers, senior Andre Hall, sophomores Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins and freshman Taurus Johnson are in the mix for kickoff returns.

RULE CHANGE: Citing last year's hit on Tennessee Tech WR Drew Hixon by USF CB Mike Jenkins and FS Javon Camon, the NCAA has changed the rule on spearing. No longer is "intent" needed for the penalty, USA Today reported.

The new rule says spearing is the use of the helmet or face mask "to butt or ram an opponent or attempt to punish him."

Against USF, Hixon was knocked unconscious by a legal hit and sustained life-threatening head injuries, but he has since fully recovered.

"That play really helped us go in and lobby the NCAA and we changed the spearing rule," said Georgia's director of Sports Medicine Ron Courson, who led the NCAA's offseason task force.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGB1AOUCLCE.html

211267.jpg

44032.jpeg

Vince Wilson  

Class:

Freshman

Hometown:

Daytona Beach, Fla.

High School:

Mainland

Height / Weight:

5-9 / 190

Position:

Tailback

Ranked among the top 50 athletes in the country by Rivals.com • Rushed for nearly 1,900 yards as a senior at Mainland High School in Daytona Beach, the same high school that produced former Tar Heel basketball standout Vince Carter • Earned first-team all-state honors in the 5-A division, the second-highest classification in Florida • Was the offensive star of Mainland's 2003 5-A state championship team, the first ever state title for any school in Volusia County • Two-time All-Central Florida honoree • Rushed for more than 1,000 yards three times in his high school career • Is the cousin of former Florida State All-America Reinard Wilson.

http://tarheelblue.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wilson_vince00.html

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I dont like the fact we are keeping Andre Hall on the Kick Return team.  I think we have enough talent there where we dont need to risk any injury to Andre.  He will get plenty of face time at RB.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Yeah we need Andre at Running Back.  Is Wilson the next Andre Hall?

Guest S.  Bien
Yeah we need Andre at Running Back.  Is Wilson the next Andre Hall?

Andre's truly special.  After this season we may say to ourselves we were lucky to have the opportunity to watch him play.  We could spend a lifetime and never find another Andre.  With that being said Wilson's a very solid back, he can run between the tackles, very good speed to get outside, and is a physical runner.  It's been two years since I've seen Mainland play with him on the team.  He's got skills to be a very good college RB but he's young, and needs work.  He probably has slightly more speed than Andre, but at this juncture he's no Andre, but then again 95% of college 1-A backs are an Andre!

Our next big time back is Ricky Ponton.  Totally different back from Andre, he's more of a transition, speed back.  He'll hit the hole faster, and get two the second level quicker.  He doesn't have Andre's vision or balance, but he's much bigger, and with that speed it will make Ricky a fun back to watch in the years to come.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

This is exciting for USF.  The talent level that is transferring here is great.  Who cares if they went somewhere else.  He tried to come here but couln't make it the first time so now he's takng advantage of a second chance.  Hopefully he will stay academically eligible because I am very pleased on how our depth at RB is starting to expand. (If that makes any sense)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Looking at a 2 headed monster for USF at RB next season. Like how Auburn looked last season in their backfield. We'll have a Thunder and Lightning  ;D

I see it good that our Top QB's are even, hopefuly one stands out by PSU. Just hope that both are improving.

Well, seems a definate that Hill will be on the field and not going to be RS'd ... his expected play at WR may take him outta QB battle in 2006, by his own accord. Success and more playing time there may make him a BULLiever that he has a better chance at the next level at WR.

Excited how things look at our first srimmage.

Against USF, Hixon was knocked unconscious by a legal hit and sustained life-threatening head injuries, but he has since fully recovered.

And this is Great news.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

... because I am very pleased on how our depth at RB is starting to expand. (If that makes any sense)

Yeah, they are getting bigger than the early days  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Former North Carolina RB Vince Wilson, who had a scholarship offer to transfer to USF, did not meet academic requirements and plans to attend a junior college.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGB7BYYVWCE.html

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We could spend a lifetime and never find another Andre.-this is one silly statement

usf will be looking like a revolving door

leavitt realizes we need more talent