• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

athlon had rutgers recruiting higher

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

than  USF

how can they be so far from rivals

Guest S.  Bien

Again, this is the most subjective stuff on the planet.  If you look at the insiders.com, again USF clearly signed the best class.  

Rutgers did good by signing Sharkee Barfield at the last minute, and picking up Zuttah.  But many of those players their ranking varies greatly based on who you read.

Whereas a kid like Johnny Peyton has been generally regarded as a four star WR, top 40 player in FL, and one of the top 3 WR's in FL.  Everyone is in agreement that Andre Hall was the #1 RB coming out of JUCO this year.  Also, the rankings for Jarriette Buie, and Terrence Jones are almost universal.

Rutgers, and WVU did themselves good by this last class but I will continually contend that USF's recent signing class was severely underrated.  We are the #1 in the Big East, and C-USA and it isn't even close.

I was told by someone well respected in the HS ranks that CJ Hunnicutt could be the best defensive player we've ever signed.  This kid is phenomenal, and the fact he wasn't as highly ranked is almost ridiculous.  Ditto for Marcus Edwards, and Ricky Ponton.  All three should have been at a minimum a three star, and the fact CJ Hunnicutt isn't a four star just illustrates how ridiculous, and unscientific some of these rankings truly are....  at least big schools don't count on rankings. We held UF at bay as they put a fullcourt press on CJ the last two weeks, and he had offers from Ohio State, Auburn, UF, WVU, Pitt, NCST, and LSU just to name a few....don't think CJ got skills now?

I don't care where the fair weather reporters rank us, this class was clearly better than anything signed by anyone in the BE or C-USA.  Heck I don't think you could combine two C-USA classes and get anything close to what we signed.   In the BE Rutgers, and WVU did finish strong, and we really need Rutgers, and Schiano to start getting something going.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

IMO, FL athletes are on a higher scale than many others ... a Top 100 FL kid could be a Top 10 athlete in many states, including New Jersey.

... and the true grade is after a few seasons of football.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

i was mistaken

athlon ratings haven't come out yet. that is what my rutgers buddies are waiting for to determine who won bet.

so put back your voodoo dolls.

i am sure they will have usf rated higher than rutgers as rivals did

Guest S. Bien

Two things for ET, and smazza...

Steve, i think Athlons uses Rivals in their ranking.  Either way Rivals, and Insider.com both had USF ahead of Rutgers.

ET,  Your **** right about CJ Hunnicutt, but this kid has blown my mind.  He was twice 1st team all-state at 5A.  Rivals had him as a 6-2 215lbs DE listed as early as January of 2003.  They gave him two stars.  I am assuming they just guessed he was an undersized DE.

Well, CJ had a stellar summer, and grew to 6-3 220lbs, and ran a 4.6 flat at camps.  Most schools scouted him as a OLB, and therefore his coached allowed him to rush the QB standing up, and he played a ton of OLB this year to prove he could play.  The results- well his sack total dropped this year from 22 to 18, but his tackling totals almost doubled.  The kid was 1st team all-state two years in a row in one of FL's highest divisions, has tremendous athletic ability conducive to either OLB or DE, has amazing stats- state leader in sacks over the past two years, and he had every decent school chasing him.

What does Rivals rate him?  Two stars, what the....

Yet in this list CJ is ranked at #28,:

http://hsflorida.theinsiders.com/2/224305.html

On this list he's listed at #51:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/recruiting/orl-spt-fbtop100,1,1498537.htmlstory?coll=orl-sports-utility-hs

Its obvious he's a top 30 athlete in FL and should have received 4 star billing.  Funny, you put this kid in NJ, and there is no equal...look at his ability, stats, and he's a smart kid with good grades, and great work ethic.  A pure steal for USF.