• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waving Red Shirt Gets Bull Charged Up

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Published Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Waving Red Shirt Gets Bull Charged Up

By Rick Brown

The Ledger

TAMPA -- Tim Jones is hungry, real hungry.

The University of South Florida senior defensive lineman is hungry to get back on the football field.

Jones missed the entire 2004 season, but it wasn't because of an injury. Both he and the USF coaching staff decided a year away would be beneficial to both Jones and the team, especially with the Bulls entering the Big East in 2005.

By redshirting the time away, Jones, a 2001 graduate of Kathleen High, could not only concentrate on his academics -- he's six classes from graduating in Interdisciplinary Social Sciences. It also allowed him to get bigger, stronger and faster.

"I'm ready to go. I'm ready to play," Jones said Tuesday during USF's annual media day, before adding, "It was hard."

It was hard because it was the longest he's missed since breaking his leg in his junior year of high school.

"In high school, I didn't have to go to the games," Jones said. "I didn't have to practice. Last year, I practiced every day and had to go to the games.

"I think (the time off) helped me," he said. "I worked out. I practiced. I got a little bigger and a little stronger."

That was the plan the USF coaches had in mind.

"It hasn't seemed to hurt him," said USF defensive ends coach Rich Rachel. "He's made great gains in the weight room, reported in great shape and seemingly has another year of maturity off the field.

"We want him to have a great year in terms of productivity and leadership both on and off the field," Rachel said. "We need him to play every game, every snap and be fierce."

That shouldn't be too hard for Jones, who despite his size (6-foot-3, 275 pounds) is one of the most athletic guys on the team. He can slam a regulation goal with a vertical jump and is on USF's hands-team during late-game situations.

Jones was recruited to South Florida as a tight end and has played in all 33 games he has suited up in.

In his first year, Jones caught four passes for 26 yards and a touchdown. He also had nine tackles on special teams.

In his sophomore season, he moved to defensive end and actually played both tight end and defensive end against Arkansas. He made 27 tackles that season, including eight tackles for losses and five sacks.

During his junior year in 2003, Jones started all 11 games at left end and finished with 48 tackles, including 13 for losses. He had a season-high seven tackles, including a school-record five for losses against Army.

When he's on the field, Jones is productive. That is what made redshirting him last season tough for coach Jim Leavitt.

"It wasn't hard at first," Leavitt said. "But once we got banged up and we didn't have the depth we thought we had, it was hard not to play Tim midseason. Here was one of our best linemen and he's on the sidelines.

"But with us going into the Big East, we wanted to have him," Leavitt said. "He's very talented and fun to watch."

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050810/NEWS/508100338/1002/SPORTS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Tim is a great kid. I had my last class with him this summer and he was fired up for the season then. He said he just couldn't wait to get back at it. Watch #99 this year. He will really tear it up. You might see him play a little tight end this year too!!! Good luck Tim, and Go BULLS!!!    Reaper