• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For USF to go Bowling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

If we where to go 6-5 this year the BE had better watch out because we are so young.  We would be a contender for the BE title for at least the next two years after.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

For those of you who have never played or seen the Carrier Dome, you will be in for a shock.  There is NO air conditioning (go figure..named after an air conditioning company)

It will be unbelievably hot inside there.  This gives Syacuse a huge home field advantage.  Don't be mislead that our Florida heat helps us.  For those of you who travel to that game, be prepared.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

For those of you who have never played or seen the Carrier Dome, you will be in for a shock.  There is NO air conditioning (go figure..named after an air conditioning company)

It will be unbelievably hot inside there.  This gives Syacuse a huge home field advantage.  Don't be mislead that our Florida heat helps us.  For those of you who travel to that game, be prepared.

Heat probably won't be a factor, since we're playing them on 11/12, compared to early in the season when you played them up there.

The fact that the Carrier Dome isn't air conditioned is very ironic, isn't it?   :-/

Guest S.  Bien

First, Bien... I appreciate your comments.  I actually think U Conn will be a harder win than Syracuse... The Syracuse defense is like the South Florida offense -- loads of talent but couldn't do it on the field last year.  I mean, 91st out of 117 teams says a lot.  We're returning a lot of our offensive starters, but no one thinks we have a good offense... so why would Syracuse have a good defense because they are returning a lot of their starters??

U Conn will have a very strong running game -- if they can get their OL to block for them.  USF had trouble last year stopping the run, especially late in the game.

To be sure, USF's real success this season will come down to the four things that plagued USF last year.

1) Turnovers (more than 4 INTs!)

2) QB-WR execution (both in the pass and in the catch!)

3) Play calling (less vanilla, more flavor!)

4) Tackling (wrap up the ball carrier, no shoulder tackles!)

JMHO.

True about Syracuse last year, but you just don't give enough credence to playing in the Carrier Dome.  I can't say enough, having seen one there before, it is one of the toughest places in America to play!!!!   They have all the tools on defense, however, I follow Syracuse quite intently, and during Pasqualoni's tenure the biggest beef most fans had against him was defense!  His defenses were always soft, and never played a real attacking style of play.  

All that will change today.  Robinson is a very savvy NFL and college DC.  The guy forgot more blitz packages then most people will remember in a lifetime.   He's got four LB's that are in the 6-4 235lbs range and run like deer, a terror at the end in Wyche, two stout DT's weighing around 315lbs each, and a potential all-american safety.  Man, they scare the living crap out of me in the Carrier Dome.

I mean look at last year, the Carrier Dome is so difficult that last year's Cuse team got dismantled by Purdue, Gtech, and a few other teams on the road but almost beat top 10 FSU in the Carrier Dome.  The echo, the climate, the crowd on top of you, the funny turf.  It ain't easy.

Uconn on the other hand lost five of their top 6 OL from last year.  They lost their starting TE, QB, two of the top 3 WR's....they've got a running game but I don't find either back in the ability of Hall.  Both are more upright runners, with good speed when they find gaps, and some shiftiness.  Our players, if our defense improves will eat that up all day long.

Basically Jim, if we want to win either game we've got to improve in many areas from last year.  My assumption, much like yours, is that our defense will be much improved and back to normal.  Therefore, if that is the case, then Da Cuse will be far more dangerous because they possess more offensive weapons, and Damien Rhodes is a better QB any day of the week over those kids at Uconn, definitely a better NFL prospect, and at QB Da Cuse is far more dangerous with Patterson.  

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I believe USF can pull off the upset of WVa and go 6-5.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

True about Syracuse last year, but you just don't give enough credence to playing in the Carrier Dome.  I can't say enough, having seen one there before, it is one of the toughest places in America to play!!!!   They have all the tools on defense, however, I follow Syracuse quite intently, and during Pasqualoni's tenure the biggest beef most fans had against him was defense!  His defenses were always soft, and never played a real attacking style of play.  

All that will change today.  Robinson is a very savvy NFL and college DC.  The guy forgot more blitz packages then most people will remember in a lifetime.   He's got four LB's that are in the 6-4 235lbs range and run like deer, a terror at the end in Wyche, two stout DT's weighing around 315lbs each, and a potential all-american safety.  Man, they scare the living crap out of me in the Carrier Dome.

I mean look at last year, the Carrier Dome is so difficult that last year's Cuse team got dismantled by Purdue, Gtech, and a few other teams on the road but almost beat top 10 FSU in the Carrier Dome.  The echo, the climate, the crowd on top of you, the funny turf.  It ain't easy.

Uconn on the other hand lost five of their top 6 OL from last year.  They lost their starting TE, QB, two of the top 3 WR's....they've got a running game but I don't find either back in the ability of Hall.  Both are more upright runners, with good speed when they find gaps, and some shiftiness.  Our players, if our defense improves will eat that up all day long.

Basically Jim, if we want to win either game we've got to improve in many areas from last year.  My assumption, much like yours, is that our defense will be much improved and back to normal.  Therefore, if that is the case, then Da Cuse will be far more dangerous because they possess more offensive weapons, and Damien Rhodes is a better QB any day of the week over those kids at Uconn, definitely a better NFL prospect, and at QB Da Cuse is far more dangerous with Patterson.  

Damien Rhodes isn't a QB.

Guest S.  Bien

Damien Rhodes isn't a QB.

I meant he was a better RB.  He's as good a RB that's out there.   Syracuse also has an amazing QB name Perry Patterson.  Some say he's another Donovan McNabb.  He's 6-4 235lbs, runs in the 4.6's---hmmm sounds awfully good.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I'm not sold on Patterson, much like I'm not sold on Julmiste.  To call him another McNabb is a bit of a stretch.  I wouldn't call Julmiste another Blackwell.  I believe both had more INTs than TDs last year.  Sure enough, Patterson had 10 picks and 7 TDs.  I'm not saying it will be an easy win, as none of our games will be.  But, USF should be able to hang with them and possibly win it in the end.

Guest S.  Bien

I agree Joe, but to put it bluntly if we hang with Syracuse in the Carrier Dome then we should beat Uconn in Storrs.  Da Cuse has more athletes, more skill, and a better home field advantage.  

I agree about Patterson, but last year he was a true soph.  I would put my money on Patterson finishing with a more distinguished career before PJ.  Patterson was at least better equiped skills wise coming out of HS than PJ was.

I agree about Patterson, but last year he was a true soph.  I would put my money on Patterson finishing with a more distinguished career before PJ.  Patterson was at least better equiped skills wise coming out of HS than PJ was.

PJ was a soph as well, plus PJ played as a freshman... so it may be that PJ and Patterson as about equal in terms of QB skills... Hall is better than Rhodes, but probably not by enough to put the game on his shoulders... which means that it comes down to defenses... I don't think that, on paper, Syracuse is that much better than USF on defense...

Like I said earlier... the game is basically a "pick 'em"... either side could win at this point... since the game is late in the season - it's really hard to predict... will CD or CH takeover for PJ at QB??  Will there be a rash of injuries for either team?? Will our defense improve?? etc...