• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UNC FB transfer considering USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

From the Tampa Tribune

8/5/05 8:52:15 PM

Sophomore Vince Wilson, slated to be North Carolina’s No. 2 tailback this season, has left the Tar Heels with hopes of transferring to the University of South Florida.

“I love the atmosphere at South Florida, the players, the coaches,†Wilson said. “Coach [Jim] Leavitt seems like a coach on a mission. He’s determined to bring South Florida up and into a dominating program. Joining the Big East lets you know how far South Florida has come.â€Â

Wilson rushed for more than 1,000 yards all three years at Daytona Beach Mainland, including nearly 1,900 as a senior. He earned Class 5A all-state honors and was ranked by Rivals.com as one of the nation’s top 50 athletes.

“I thought I’d like North Carolina, but [uNC] Coach [John] Bunting and I decided it just wasn’t for me,†said Wilson, who added he is academically eligible.

Wilson must sit out the 2005 season and would have three years eligibility remaining. Last year at UNC he played in nine games, but had only seven carries for minus 3 yards.

Wilson (5-9, 203) said he wants to decide where he’ll transfer in the next few weeks

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

he was on our 2003 recruiting list

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

That is awesome, I hope a few more guys start jumping ship and transfer here.  Thier experience along with another great recruiting class and we could really start becoming a contender in the Big East.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I wish these guys would see the light early on and just come to USF instead of committing to another school and then discovering that life at that particular school is not as green as it was painted during the their recruiting.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Would be nice to get another good back for 2006.

Am sure more will see the "light" in the coming recruiting seasons.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874

Every time an athlete discusses transferring to USF it gives CJL more ammo when talking to recruits...

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Yeah, and CJL's biggest bargaining chip is the new athletic facility (no longer in trailers) and being in a BCS conference.  This coming season will be the first season we could throw both of those facts at possible recruits.  I think starting with this upcoming years recruiting class we will start seeing more top recruits looking at us, even if we got say 4-7.  But as many have said we are one cinderella seaon away from landing a top 20 recruiting class.  I dont know if it will happen this year, although we do have a lot of question marks on the team (ie Carlton Hill, Cedric Hill, Grothe, Denson, Coleman, Momprimier, Amarri Jackson just to name a few) that if they perform well it can propel this team much higher than any expected.  And if that happens and we have one of those cinderella seasons this year could be the year we land that big class.  It will be very tough with our schedule.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874

We need to win some games in order to earn a recruiting class like that...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I wish these guys would see the light early on and just come to USF instead of committing to another school and then discovering that life at that particular school is not as green as it was painted during the their recruiting.

Actually, it wasn't he who turned down USF the first time around. Nobody thought he would qualify. We had already signed Hall, T Jones, and two other running backs in Feb. He qualified about four months AFTER signing day and NC had a scholarship to give him.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I noted yesterday in another thread that his brother Tony just gave a Verbal to Georgia and his other brother is considered a top 2007 recruit. I'm sure we'd love to have all three of them if we could.

HowieP

Re: Jenkins Looking at Other Schools

« Reply #17 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 4:45pm --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The funny thing about that is that Tony Wilson is the younger brother of Vince Wilson who USF probably could have had in 2004, but backed off of him because of grades. Now Vince is unhappy at NC and is looking for another school. Wouldn't it be ironic if we now get Vince and Tony decides to decommit from Georgia to be with his brother. LOL

Quote:Mainland receiver goes with Georgia

Speedster Tony Wilson says he will sign with the Dawgs in February.

By Buddy Collings | Sentinel Staff Writer  

Posted August 2, 2005  

DAYTONA BEACH -- If it was a football field, FSU linebacker Buster Davis might have been able to hem Tony Wilson in and force him to change direction. He was that close.

But this was the Mainland High cafeteria, and Davis was content to watch and smile with pride as the latest gem in Mainland's pipeline to college football announced his intentions during a peanut-butter lunch break on the first day of high school football practice Monday.

Wilson, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior speedster, stood up to tell teammates he plans to sign with Georgia in February.

Afterward, Wilson said UF made a strong pitch but he picked the school that made the earliest impression.

"Florida got a late start on me," he said. "I didn't get to know Coach [urban] Meyer until this summer. Georgia was on me from the time football season ended [last fall] to now."

Wilson, who also had FSU in his top three, played offense, defense and special teams for a 10-3 state semifinal team last fall and then won a state 200-meter dash title in the track season.

"He's a ballplayer and he knows he's a ballplayer," Davis said. "Do I want him at Florida State? Of course. But I know he's been high on Georgia for a long time and wherever you feel comfortable, that's where you should go."

Wilson's older brother, Vince, was at Bucs practice Monday and said he is shopping for a new school after seeing limited action (seven carries, minus-3 yards) as a freshman running back for North Carolina last season.

"It just wasn't for me. . . . not happy," Vince said. "I'm not sure yet where I'm going to go."

A third brother, Kenny, could start on both sides of the ball for Mainland this season and projects to be a major prospect in the Class of 2007.

Georgia also beat FSU for an oral commitment from defensive back Prince Miller (5-8/180) of Duncan, S.C., Byrnes. The Seminoles did get a verbal from quarterback D'Vontrey Richardson (6-1/200) of Leesburg, Ga., Lee County. Linebacker Charles Kirschman (6-3/235) of Ponte Vedra Beach Nease picked Alabama. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/volusia/orl-spthswilson 02080205augu2,0,3325310.story