• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UNC FB transfer considering USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

could be like the gramaticas....and julmistes....and verpales....etc....keep the family thing going....

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

let the spinning begin, again!

should this be on the recruiting board

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

I wish these guys would see the light early on and just come to USF instead of committing to another school and then discovering that life at that particular school is not as green as it was painted during the their recruiting.

Better late than never

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

don't need him

we should recruit someone better that can step in and play

Guest S.  Bien
don't need him

we should recruit someone better that can step in and play

The same could be said about you but at least we continue to put up with it.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Wilson leaves North Carolina

By BRIAN MCLAUGHLIN

Staff Writer

Last update: August 12, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH -- On Thursday, Vince Wilson got his turn to speak, and he was his usual humble self when describing his reasons for his recent transfer from the North Carolina football program.

The former Mainland running back thanked the Tar Heels for the chance they gave him last summer, when many schools stopped recruiting him because of his academic situation during high school. But after one year in Chapel Hill, Wilson decided to transfer because he was unhappy with the lack of attention he was receiving from coaches -- even though he was the leading rusher in the spring game.

He disputed reports by some newspapers and Internet sites that the transfer had anything to do with his academic status.

"I'm eligible for the 2005-06 year," Wilson said. "Yes, I struggled a little bit with the grades, I'm not afraid to say that. That's the one thing I feel that I need to focus on a little more than anything from now on. I've always struggled with my grades, but I'm eligible."

Instead, it was lack of attention from the coaching staff -- and the loss of a redshirt season -- that left Wilson unhappy. Wilson wanted to redshirt last year, but the North Carolina coaching staff insisted on using him some on special teams and as a backup running back -- burning a year on a handful of snaps.

He finished the year with only seven carries for minus-3 yards. But Wilson bounced back to lead all North Carolina rushers with 72 yards on nine carries in the spring game in April.

Before the transfer, North Carolina coach John Bunting told InsideCarolina.com that Wilson had some major improvements to make if he wanted to contend for serious playing time.

"He's physical, despite his size; we saw that on special teams," Bunting said. "He's got to learn how to be involved in all pass protections. He's got to learn to catch the ball well, and he's got to learn to do the things on and off the field that I expect from our football players."

Wilson said his final meeting with Bunting went fine.

"It wasn't nasty, it was just straight-up and honest," said Wilson, who rushed for over 1,900 yards in leading Mainland to the state title in 2003. "It's just what I expected from Coach Bunting -- tell it like it is. We decided that North Carolina wasn't for me."

Now, Wilson is waiting for his release from North Carolina. Once the paperwork is finished, he said he'd like to choose between South Florida and Florida -- both of which have put out feelers but can't do anything without the release.

If Wilson stays at the Division I-A level, he'll have to sit out a season and then he'd have three years of eligibility left.

He also ruled out a return to Daytona Beach to play for Division I-AA Bethune-Cookman. As a last resort, he said he would consider junior college football for a year before transferring back to Division I-A.

"First, right now, I'm very interested in South Florida and the Gators, but if I get other offers I'll look at them," Wilson said. "But I'm staying in Division I. I don't mind waiting a year.

"I don't have anything bad to say about North Carolina. I'm actually thanking them for what they've done for me, for taking me."

brian.mclaughlin@news-jrnl.com

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Headlines/03SportsFBC01081205.htm

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243

Kudos to the initial strategy of recruiting soley in Florida pre Big East. Now that we are in the Big East, coaches and players remember the USF name from the C-USA and Indy days and are starting to consider us more - even as transfers. I'd much rather have a transfer from a major college with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove than a "can't miss" high school senior who gets to college and "misses."

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Why does every possible transfer seem to have some excess baggage?  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

that is why they are transfers