• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marius at U21 WT in Argentina

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

09/08/2005

FIBA U21 - Lithuania 92 Slovenia 74

050809_ltu_o.jpg

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA U21 World Championship) - Paulius Jankunas inspired Lithuania to a 92-74 victory over Slovenia on Wednesday in the FIBA U21 World Championship 2005, Argentina.

Jankunas poured in 28 points and hauled down 10 rebounds in an inspiring display for Lithuania who pulled clear of the Slovenes in the second half.

Lithuania won the first quarter 19-17 but Slovenia hit back to take the second 24-21 to take a single-point lead into the second half.

However, the Baltic side took the third comfortable 28-18 and by claiming the final period 24-15 ensured a comfortable win.

Jankunas was well supported by Marius Prekevicius with 17 points, Renaldas Seibutis with 17 and Arturas Jomantas with 12.

For Slovenia it was Saso Zagorac who starred with 26 points and four rebounds.

Lithuania head coach Ramunas Butautas said: "We respect Slovenia because of their players and the smart way they think the game.

"In the last quarter, we made the difference because of our zone defence."

Jankunas said: "Before starting the match we knew they were difficult opponents in spite of the lack of some players. In the second half we handled the ball better."

Slovenia coach Ante Perica said: "I am satisfied with the performance and the intensity that has been shown by my players.

"Our defence was weaker than the matches before but this was because of the quality of the Lithuanian players."

"It was dificult for us to play man to man defence with such a reduced roster. Besides, our big man Rizvic had early foul trouble, which created some problems with the rebounding.

"The stats show that they deserve the victory, especially because of their excellent perimeter shooting. It is difficult to play such a game with only 7 players when the opponent has such a deep bench," added Sasa Zagorac from Slovenia.

Game Card

Photo Gallery

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/wc_u21_men/art_U21_wc_m.asp?r_act_news=8651&r_cat=208

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marius only played 15 minutes and scored 7 points against China.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/fnabox.asp?g=B&n=13&r=4518

Lithuania beat China 96-75

Lithuania finished the preliminary round in Group B in Mar del Plata with a 96 - 75 win over the People's Republic of China and finished 2nd place in Group B of the FIBA U21 World Championship with a 4-1 record.

Lithuania controled the boards (42 rebounds) and and was better in almost every single statistical category than the Chinese. The victory was never in doubt and coach Ramunas Butautas used all 12 players of his team.

"Although this game had no importance for us regarding the standings, we did not want to lose it. I think China plays very well, but they need more international experience. There is a Lithuanian coach (Jonas Kazlauskas) that is currently working in China with the national team, and I believe that is a good influence for their basketball's development."

In Friday's Quarterfinals, Lithuania will face the third placed team of Group A, which will be dtermined later today in the top match of that group beteewn Australia and host Argentina.

On the chances to play the home team in the Quarterfinals, Butautas said: "Argentina is one of the favorites of this championship. I saw them on television this week several times and we analyzed their game. They have home court advantage, but I like these kind of games and would look forward to it."

Jonas Maciulis, who was leading his team in scoring with 12 points, was not satisfied with his team's performance. "We didn't play at our best, we could have done much better. China had an effective Zone defence. At least we played better in the second half."

China finished the preliminary round with 0-5 record and will enter the classification round with a loss against Nigeria, which will count for the classification.

Coach Min Lulei sees athletic deficits in his team: "To play better we need better physical preparation. I appreciated the effort made by my players in every game. This was the best team I could bring to Argentina. I was missing to big players with 2.15m and 2.12m who could have helped a lot."

050812_aus_o-1.jpg

13/08/2005

FIBA U21 1/4 Finals - Argentina out

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA U21 World Championship) - Host Argentina was pulled out tonight of the medal round by the European side of Lithuania 76-63 in the last quarter finals of the FIBA U21 World Championship 2005.

Lithuania took first the lead until Leonardo Mainoldi from Argentina entered in action with 6 points in a row bringing Argentina 16-16 after 3 minutes played in the second quarter.

From that moment on, the game turned into a real physical war.

"It was a great battle on the court and a great game for Argentina.

"Argentinean team has brilliant players, and I am sure that they will be stars in the future. Just in the final quarter we could break Argentinean defense, and theirs fouls and turnovers helped us to reach the victory," Lithuanian head Coach Ramunas Butautas.

From this war Argentina seamed to be the team which could make the most of it, until Lithuania started to break through the tough defense that Argentina had installed.

"Until the third quarter, we could develop the game style that we had prepared.

"We knew that Lithuania based his offensive in the penetrations, so we tried to make a tough defense in the paint," explained Gonzalo Garcia.

The European fired up a bunch of three pointers in the last minutes of the games to clinch the last semi finals spot. The will play Australia which previously defeated Slovenia.

"In the last quarter, they broke us, with their forward's job and a better effectiveness in three points throws. They took advantage of our mistakes, like the turnovers," added Garcia.

Game Card

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/wc_u21_men/art_U21_wc_m.asp?r_act_news=8698&r_cat=208

Lith Advances tio finals:

Lithuania 96

Australia 73

Marius went 4-8 from beyond the arc and 1-1 in 2PFG for a total of 14 points.

Canda lost to Greece in the other semi-final:

FIBA U21 Semifinals - Greece goes for the Gold after beating Canada:  

sabado, 13 de agosto 2005

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA U21 World Championship) - Their recipe for success has been defense and they did it today against Canada by defeating them 74-61 in the FIBA U21 World Championship.

Greece now waits for the winner of the Lithuania-Australia game to play for the Gold tomorrow while Canada will play for the Bronze against the loser.

The Greek players identified the threats well and got them out of the game with a great defense to get the big win.

The first half ended 35-28 favoring Greece with 14 points and 8 rebounds by Loukas Mavrokefalidis.

In the second half Greece took control of the game. In the final quarter Canada made a run of their own and closed the deficit to single digit but the Greeks started to hit again and got them out of the game.

Konstantinos Vasileiadis led Greece with 18 points.

Andrew Rautins led Canada with 14 points.

objImage.asp?wVarFile=auslit1s.jpg&wVarFolder=39. Australia - Lituania

AUSTRALIA 73 – LITUANIA 96

PRESS CONFERENCE SEMIFINAL

DT Lituania – Ramunas Butautas

We know Australia very well, because we played against them a lot of times. They had strong players and good three point’s shooters. So, our mission in this match was slowed down the rhythm; not played fast as they wanted. Today, we had a great defence, but also an intelligent offensive. Now I want to celebrate this huge step; we will have time to think about tomorrow. I know we are prepared and we will win this tournament.

14 – Rolandas Alijebas

It was a difficult first half. We came to Argentina to win the championship. During these days we have done good games; everyone has fulfilled his job.

DT Australia – Guy Mohillo

Lithuania was better than us. We made an ordinary defence; really weak to beat a team like Lithuania. We are disappointed because we had a good tournament. We hope to win tomorrow to come back home with a medal.

9 – Kevin Francis

All Lithuanian players ran a lot. Lithuania made the difference in fast break points. Besides, they did an excellent ball handling.

050813_final_o.jpg

14/08/2005

FIBA U21 - Greece to face Lithuania in Final

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA U21 World Championship) - The FIBA U21 World Championship Final will see the two European team of Greece and Lithuania play against each other for the gold medal on Sunday 14 August at 21h50 local time.

Greece was the first team to qualify on Saturday 13 August after taking down the brave team of Canada 74-61 who knocked out the medal round, favorite USA on Friday. With their win the Greeks end a series of defeat in the semi-final stage of the last three FIBA Youth World Championships.

"I think it was a game against ourselves, not because Canada would not be a great rival, but because we wanted to challenge our destiny.

"In the past we reached different semi finals and we lost all of them. So the way we would think this game it was a huge psychological problem," said Manos Manouselis, Head Coach of Greece.

Greece forward Konstantinos Vasileiadis added: "After the three semi-finals we lost in the past, we felt that this one would be our last chance. It was a test for us. We had to play hard and we did it.

"Every player gave the best and the same thing we will be tomorrow."

Greece will now enjoy this major achievement before thinking of what's heading ahead of them tomorrow.

"About the finals I do not have preferences. If the others teams reach this stage is because they are good," said Manouselis.

The second semi-final was a cruise for Lithuania over the best team of Group A in the preliminary round, Australia. The Crocs were never in a position to worry the green machine and finished the game 23 points behind Lithuania 96-73.

"Lithuania was better than us. We made an ordinary defense, far too weak to beat a team like Lithuania. We are disappointed because we had a good tournament. We hope to win tomorrow to come back home with a medal," expressed Australian Head Coach Guy Mohillo.

"All Lithuanian players ran a lot. Lithuania made the difference in fast break points. Besides, they did an excellent ball handling," said Kevin Francis.

Lithuania faced Australia many times and especially during the Final of the last FIBA U19 World Championship in 2003. Therefore they already knew what was needed to stop the Aussies. This time it is the turn of Lithuania to celebrate.

They've already secured a medal and Sunday's game will decide which one they will bring back home.

"We knew Australia very well, because we played against them a lot of times.

"They have strong players and good three point shooters. So, our mission in this match was to slow down the rhythm to stop them playing as fast as they wanted.

"Today, we had a great defense, but also play smart in offense. Now I want to celebrate this huge step; we will have time to think about tomorrow. I know we are prepared and we will win this tournament," declared Ramunas Butautas, Head Coach of Lithuania.

Greece vs Canada Game Card

Lithuania vs Greece Game Card

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/wc_u21_men/art_U21_wc_m.asp?r_act_news=8705&r_cat=208

There is a great Pic of Marius making a 3 pointer against Australia in the photo gallery. I'm not sure if it will display here as it is a Flash, but it's at the link below:

http://www.fiba.com/subsites/fibaPhoto/gallery.asp?folder=img/0508_wmym/&name=img

http://www.fiba.com/subsites/fibaPhoto/gallery.asp?folder=img/0508_wmym/&name=img

Marius is among the tournament leaders in a number of statistical categories:

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2005/05_mu21_stats-leaders.html#conf.wki