• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Serious FootBULL Talk

Guest S.  Bien
can gene coleman help our D as a JUCO standout like Hall helped our O last yr?

Two time 1st 4A All-State at LB, MVP at two all-star games, pre-season All-American candidate for JC LB last year, MVP of the JC National Championship game and an all-regional LB pick in JC.  All Gene Coleman has done is excel everywhere he's gone.  He plays with a nasty disposition, and he runs in the low 4.6's at 245lbs, and was timed as low as 4.5 in HS.  He hits like a ton of bricks, and has tremendous closing speed.

Now what do you think of Gene Coleman?  Yes, he will help this defense excel because he's going to push for playing time immediately and his athleticism will help us close down the edges and get more speed and tenacity on the field at times.  

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien
what about taurus?

Taurus is a fast guy.  Lots of speed, and great size which is always a huge advantage.  He caught something like 40 passes for almost 900 yards as a jr.  Last year had a new QB with below average passing skills and still made a difference with the ball.

However, he has a tall task to beat out Peyton, Green, Chambers, Jackson, and Edwards.  He may contribute early as a returner, but would be shocked if he saw much time at WR this year with that group ahead of him.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Speaking of the return game Bien, was it ever confirmed that Ismael Grant qualified and will be eligable to play come September?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

can gene coleman help our D as a JUCO standout like Hall helped our O last yr?

I'm sure we're all expecting Coleman to be more like Hall than Searcy ...

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I would say we are far from "solid" at QB and in the defensive secondary.

(I'm still holding on to the hopes that Grothe comes out and wows everyone.)

I'm optimistic, but we'll have to wait and see.

Probably gonna take an injury of two to get Grothe on the field by Oct.  I preceive the QB depth chart to be PJ, Denson, Hill & Grothe.  Going by Leavitt's short history, he's prone to start the guy with the most time in the program ie Gaunt over Blackwell & Banks over Julmiste.  With that said, I do believe Denson will see at least one series vs. PSU.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Speaking of the return game Bien, was it ever confirmed that Ismael Grant qualified and will be eligable to play come September?

He's on the official roster, which means he must have qualified.   I don't know if he was a "partial" or not.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Two time 1st 4A All-State at LB, MVP at two all-star games, pre-season All-American candidate for JC LB last year, MVP of the JC National Championship game and an all-regional LB pick in JC.  All Gene Coleman has done is excel everywhere he's gone.  He plays with a nasty disposition, and he runs in the low 4.6's at 245lbs, and was timed as low as 4.5 in HS.  He hits like a ton of bricks, and has tremendous closing speed.

Now what do you think of Gene Coleman?  Yes, he will help this defense excel because he's going to push for playing time immediately and his athleticism will help us close down the edges and get more speed and tenacity on the field at times.  

sounds great...hope he shows it beginning with 9/3

Guest S.  Bien

sounds great...hope he shows it beginning with 9/3

Me to.  Expect him to slowly work his way in.  Not making it in during the spring hurts because St. Louis, Moffett, and Nicholas firmly entrenched themselves as the starters.  The word is St. Louis is possibly one of the fastest LB'ers to ever play at USF.  Coleman will find a spot and garner time he's got all the tools, and is so tenacious.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Coleman will def see playing time.  He is an absolute tank at the mike position.  If some of the young D lineman can step up along with Coleman and Moffet in the middle at LB and J Jones at safety we will be much stronger up the gut than we were last year.  

I think our D could be pretty good this year. My main concern is in the trenches.  At DE I think we stack up well, but at the DT positions we are going to be forced to play some guys that are smaller, quick guys who would ideally be DEs.

Look for our D to be real stout in 06 and possibly even better in 07.  Thats when our young studs will be seasoned vets.  Our LB corps will be extremely deep and talented those years.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

I think an improved D will make or break this season.

QB is the glory position so we all like to focus on it...even when we had MB we had a really good defense and got big stops when we needed them.

CJL is a defensive coach at heart and I'm sure last yr is still eating away at him....