• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New FSC MOCS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

MOCCASINS SIGN FIVE FOR UPCOMING MEN'S BASKETBALL SEASON ...

Florida Southern men's basketball coach Tony Longa announced the signing of five newcomers for the 2005-06 season, two of them Division I transfers. The other three members of this year's recruiting class are from the junior college ranks.

"With six returning sophomores on the roster this year and only one senior, we felt it was imperative to bring in some veteran players," said Longa. "It's a recruiting class that gives us experience and veteran leadership."

Headlining the group of newcomers is sophomore Mark Williams, a transfer from Savannah State and originally from Sebring High School. The 6-3 guard led the Tigers in scoring last year with a 16.6 average while starting 17 games. Among NCAA Division I freshmen, his scoring average was the third highest in the country. He also led the team in 3-point field goals (35 in 19 games) and was second in steals (29) while averaging 3.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game. Williams scored in double figures in all but two games, topped 20 on seven

occasions including a 21-point effort against the University of Georgia.

The second Division I transfer is Toronto native Dale Parsons from Weber State. The 6-0 guard will have one season of eligibility remaining after playing two seasons at Vincennes (JC) University and one at Weber State. He opened last year as a starter in the Wildcats' backcourt and averaged 4.4 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 10 games. Prior to Weber State, Parsons was a 2004 NJCAA Honorable Mention All-American, averaging 14.5 points, 5.0 assists and 3.0 steals while shooting 55 percent from 3-point range as a sophomore at Vincennes (IN). He led the Blazers to a 30-6 record and the round of 16 at the NJCAA National Tournament.

"The combination of Williams and Parsons will be very good," said Longa. "They can play at a really high level so it gives us some punch in the backcourt that we needed."

Among the junior college transfers is 6-8 forward Will Graham from Cross City, Florida and Seminole CC. Last year as a sophomore, Graham averaged 7.4 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 1.6 blocks per game while helping his team to the Mid-Florida Conference Championship. His .667 field goal percentage ranked

second in the state. Graham was a two-time all-conference pick at Seminole and an honorable mention Class 2A All-State selection at Dixie County High School.

Signing with Florida Southern from Palm Beach CC is 6-7 sophomore forward Andrei Grant. Last year in his only season with the Panthers, Grant averaged 6.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks while starting 22 games. As a high school senior in Kingstown, Jamaica, Grant averaged 24 points and 15 rebounds.

The Mocs' final signing is 6-8, 240-pound center Dwayne Abraham from Baltimore. The junior started the last two years at Howard JC in Texas and led the Hawks to a 27-6 record and the Region V Championship Game in 2005. As a freshman he was named Howard's Most Valuable Player.

"The three big guys fill a huge void," said onga. "They're all strong and athletic."

The five newcomers will join six returning lettermen from last year's Florida Southern team that went 17-11. The Mocs will also return redshirt sophomore Hurley Dunbar, the Sunshine State Conference Freshman-of-the-Year in 2004 who sat out last season with a knee injury.