• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FWIW: FAMU Band in Jeopardy?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

times.gif

Even the renowned FAMU band will feel the pain. FAMU cut the band's travel budget. It's not clear if the band can find private donations to perform at away games.

Full Story

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I doubt very much that will impact OUR game with them since FAMU is getting a lot of money from USF to show up. Also, the Sports Commission is sponsoring the "classic" game and they'll make sure the band is there to play.

It will definitely impact OTHER away games for FAMU.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

FAMU is in deep, deep, deep trouble. (All articles just from today!)

FAMU fires 41 workers

Investigators found $9.3 million in suspicious payroll at the troubled school.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-payroll01070105jul01,0,5399387.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

FAMU eliminates 4 sports programs and cuts $2 million in atheletic department

The school cuts golf, tennis and swimming -- but NCAA sanctions are still to come.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-asecfamusports01070105jul01,0,3823123.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Media erred by going easy on Florida A&M

David Whitley

Sports Commentary

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-sptwhitley01070105jul01,0,3089597.column

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey folks. we did a short note in today's paper to say that the FAMU band will be in tampa for the USF game in september. their band director said he has been assured that the band will be at every game -- it's as big a draw as the football team is these days.

greg

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

hey folks. we did a short note in today's paper to say that the FAMU band will be in tampa for the USF game in september. their band director said he has been assured that the band will be at every game -- it's as big a draw as the football team is these days.

greg

I saw that too and have been trying to find the note online. Where the heck is it??

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

it was the top note in our front-page rail, which is usually a mishmash of notes and teases to stories inside the section so it usually isn't posted online. here's what ran:

Don't worry, college football fans. Florida A&M's renowned marching band, above, is coming to Tampa

on Sept. 10, when the Rattlers play at  USF. FAMU is

reducing its athletic budget by $3-million and has cut the travel budget of its Marching 100 band. But Julian White, the band director for six years, said Thursday

he has been reassured by interim president Castell Bryant. ""The president has reiterated to me

that the band's travel is not going to be affected,'' he said.

… GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Good job.Im sure they realize that the big pay days that they get from 1A schools means that:

1. they must give enough football scholarships to count for 1A bowl eligibility and havetheir band travel.

You think UM or anyother 1A school would be contacting them and signing contracts otherwise? and they need those pay days now more than ever

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Greg,

The SPT ought to pay you extra for helping us find your Bulls-related stories and information on that whacky ill-designed website.

Thanks for coming on board and pointing us to the information.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

i read in the Ledger's coverage of the FAMU woes that they would travel only to a game in Orlando and one in Atlanta, presumably Classic games.  I hope they make it to Tampa....I'll go with yes for now.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

it was the top note in our front-page rail, which is usually a mishmash of notes and teases to stories inside the section so it usually isn't posted online. here's what ran:

Don't worry, college football fans. Florida A&M's renowned marching band, above, is coming to Tampa

on Sept. 10, when the Rattlers play at  USF. FAMU is

reducing its athletic budget by $3-million and has cut the travel budget of its Marching 100 band. But Julian White, the band director for six years, said Thursday

he has been reassured by interim president Castell Bryant. ""The president has reiterated to me

that the band's travel is not going to be affected,'' he said.

… GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

Actually, it probably is online, but hard to find. For example, a few days ago someone mentioned that they had read one of your articles in the paper which reported that you had spoken with the Miami AD who advised that the USF/UM return game would take place between 2008-2010. I tried looking for it in the Archives the same day, but couldn't find it. A couple of days later, I searched the archives again and located the article which had been together with a FSU story in the South Pinellas edition.

My hunch is that in a couple of days we would find your FAMU blurb in the archives as well.

Perhaps, you could check with the appropriate people at the SPT to see if there is a way that your stories do show up in the main sport section.